Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Monosodium Glutamate <--that's Msg, Right?

Hey all - I'm kind of having a brain fog day...I think it's due to hypoglycemia though, and not CC...I hope. Difficult to tell as it is also that time of the month and I get ill for a few days. Anyway, couldn't bear to sort through the archives, so I just thought I'd refresh the question. Thanks :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

MSG is gluten free. It isn't good for you, but it's gluten free. (Mostly. If made in the US. If made in Asia, it's usually a wheat source.) (Source, Triumph Dining book, I think. *grin*)

Edit: Your in Provo? Cool. I'm in Salt Lake. :) Hellp fellow Utahn!

I have read conflicting stuff to do with msg. Outside the fact I have a severe allergy to it and it makes me killer sick. I have read that sometimes it is gluten-free and sometimes not. So, why take the chance not only that, but my personal feelings are that the darn stuff should be made illegal.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

I have read conflicting stuff to do with msg. Outside the fact I have a severe allergy to it and it makes me killer sick. I have read that sometimes it is gluten-free and sometimes not. So, why take the chance not only that, but my personal feelings are that the darn stuff should be made illegal.

I've never read conflicting info on the gluten aspect, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on the illegal aspect.

I've been losing a lot more weight ever since I decided no more MSG. It's amazing.

Evil stuff that stuff is.

I've heard the conflicting info too. In fact, the local chinese food place near work that I always go to brought the jar out to me & it said wheat starch on it so I just ask for whatever I want without it & tell then I'm allergic. It could be something else in it but I notice if I forget I get mild symptoms.

I've been thinking about the labeling issue. Yes they now have to label things correctly on the wheat side but I wonder how long it takes to get the older items off the shelves & the new correctly labeled items on. I gotta believe most restaurants & stores are gonna sell the unlabled stuff before bringing out the new...

Misdiagnosed with Duardinitis & Endometriosis

Diagnosed after 6 yrs & 4 Doc and every test known to man

Diagnosed October 2004

Anemic as a teen

Small Stature

Dental Issues

Constant Headaches

Joint Pain

Mood Swings

Lethargy

All those disappeared after eliminating Gluten

I've never read conflicting info on the gluten aspect, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on the illegal aspect.

I've been losing a lot more weight ever since I decided no more MSG. It's amazing.

Evil stuff that stuff is.

I'm having a brain foggy day too -- can anyone tell me what MSG is? like what foods are they in and why is it so bad?

"I have failed and that is why I succeed."

I'm having a brain foggy day too -- can anyone tell me what MSG is? like what foods are they in and why is it so bad?

MSG is monosodium glutamate, which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid (not gluten!). It is used as a flavor enhancer all over the world in many cuisines.

An analogy would be what we call 'salt', sodium chloride, which is the sodium salt of hydrochloric acid and also used as a flavor enchancer.

The difference is that sodium chloride ('salt') is in-organic. Glutamic acid is organic (meaning made up of carbon, hrydrogen, oxygen). Some people claim to be sensitive and/or allergic to it in a very similar way to other who are sensitive to other organic food additives like sulfites (this is just an analogy- msg and sulfites are not chemically related).

Hope this helps....

Pam

(chemist)

MSG is monosodium glutamate, which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid (not gluten!). It is used as a flavor enhancer all over the world in many cuisines.

An analogy would be what we call 'salt', sodium chloride, which is the sodium salt of hydrochloric acid and also used as a flavor enchancer.

The difference is that sodium chloride ('salt') is in-organic. Glutamic acid is organic (meaning made up of carbon, hrydrogen, oxygen). Some people claim to be sensitive and/or allergic to it in a very similar way to other who are sensitive to other organic food additives like sulfites (this is just an analogy- msg and sulfites are not chemically related).

Hope this helps....

Pam

(chemist)

geez, how do you find out if you're allergic to it? Any testing available anywhere? I could do trial and error, but how would i do that? read all my food labels for MSG?

"I have failed and that is why I succeed."