Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Karen

They're Messing With Wheat Again.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6179912.stm

Perhaps they will realize how damaging today's version of wheat really is.....

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I saw this this morning--

As Archie Bunker once said--It's like putting lace on a bowling ball <_<:D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

since the protein in wheat is what is so damaging to celiacs----it makes me wonder how many more people will become celiacs if this process works and they create wheat with MORE protein. maybe half of the world is just barely tolerating the protein already there----increasing it could push them all over the edge.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

since the protein in wheat is what is so damaging to celiacs----it makes me wonder how many more people will become celiacs if this process works and they create wheat with MORE protein. maybe half of the world is just barely tolerating the protein already there----increasing it could push them all over the edge.

Yes, but if the protein is modified it may not be toxic anymore to celiacs. Did you read the research article some forum contributor linked the other day that outlined a recent invitro study done with an heirloom (before hybridization) variety of wheat? It didn't produce the antibody production characteristic of celiac disease. It suggested that some old, native varieties may be safe. Perhaps the hybridization of modern wheat stocks with wild wheat may produce a nontoxic variety.

Steve

Guest cassidy

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Yes, but if the protein is modified it may not be toxic anymore to celiacs. Did you read the research article some forum contributor linked the other day that outlined a recent invitro study done with an heirloom (before hybridization) variety of wheat? It didn't produce the antibody production characteristic of celiac disease. It suggested that some old, native varieties may be safe. Perhaps the hybridization of modern wheat stocks with wild wheat may produce a nontoxic variety.

Steve

I just wonder if it would end up being the same as oats. I think the big problem with oats is that during the process they almost always get contaminated so we can't eat them even if they themselves wouldn't be a problem. If we could eat the new wheat I'm sure it would be a long time until all the old wheat was gone. I would think the two would be mixed together and it would be hard to find pure, new wheat that wasn't contaminated by the old wheat, especially if one kind was cheaper than the other.