This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amoxicillian

lkelli

lkelli Rookie

My 2 year old had an ear infection and was prescribed amoxicillian. I looked at the gluten free drug web sites and I know that amoxicillian is listed. He had a horrible week stomach wise (most severe constipation and food refusal since going gluten free). My nutritionist suggest looking into whether the dyes or additives in the Amoxicillian for kids (I think it was bubble gum flavored) might contain gluten. My pharmasist is useless.

Thanks-

Lkelli

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skipper30 Enthusiast

Lkelli..

You might verify with the company that makes the amoxicillin...I THINK that it can be made by a few different companies and they might differ that way. But as for the flavorings..I am not sure. We haven't tried any of those.

Hope your little one is feeling better!!

Dallas

shayesmom Rookie
My 2 year old had an ear infection and was prescribed amoxicillian. I looked at the gluten free drug web sites and I know that amoxicillian is listed. He had a horrible week stomach wise (most severe constipation and food refusal since going gluten free). My nutritionist suggest looking into whether the dyes or additives in the Amoxicillian for kids (I think it was bubble gum flavored) might contain gluten. My pharmasist is useless.

Thanks-

Lkelli

It could also be a separate intolerance/allergy to the antibiotic itself, the colorings or some other ingredient.

I hope that ear infections aren't a common occurence in your house, but if so, you may want to try some garlic oil drops in the ears to see if that helps. And some probiotics may help get the stomach issues back in control after a dosing of antibiotics.

Sorry that I couldn't answer your immediate gluten question!

HTH.

tiffjake Enthusiast

Thanks-

Lkelli

Have you contacted the direct company that you see on the RX bottle?? I doubt that there is gluten in the flavoring, but you never know. Most often the stomach problems are caused by the antibiotic itself. The antibiotic kills the healthy flora in the intestine and will disrupt the normal digestion process. But if you are still worried, look for the manufacturer on the bottle, google them, and give them a call. Thats what I would do.

GFmum Newbie

Hi LKelli

I also think that your child's stomach upset is not gluten related (although you can never rule it out) as gastrointestinal upset (ie nausea and vomitting) is a common side effect of antibiotics. My son has coeliac disease, type I diabetes and multiple allergies. One of the allergies was to erythromycin (another antibiotic). He had extreme diarrhoea....I mean extreme...never stopped coming out...nappy was full constantly and caused extreme excoriation. The Dr said it's a side effect although because of the severity he determined it to be an allergy.

So I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Tolerate some stomach upset to treat the ear infection (lesser of the 2 evils). Next time ask for another type of antibiotic. My son had Keflex for ear infections. And change your doctor and pharmacist if you don't get confident answers to your questions.

Best wishes. Hope your child feels better soon :) then you can rest easy...

Archived