Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2boysmama

Is It Possible The Hypoglycemia Will Disappear Completely?

I've been hypoglycemic for about 20 years now, and gluten-free for about 5 months or so. My hypoglycemia has improved dramatically since going gluten-free. In fact I can usually stay symptom-free as long as I manage it correctly by eating enough protein (especially first thing in the morning). Because of that, I'm pretty well convinced that was one of the main places I was getting damaged from eating glutens. Does anybody know if it's possible for my pancreas to completely heal (and therefore the rest of the cells in my body to become more receptive to insulin), and for the hypoglycemia to go away? I know 20 years is a long time and obviously I don't expect it to disappear overnight - in fact I'm pretty happy with how much I've improved already, but it would be nice if it went away altogether, too. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I wish the hypoglycemia would go away. Since I've been gluten free there have been amazing improvements but as soon as I have the refined carbs and sugars... :rolleyes: Oh well...

Gluten intolerant - self diagnosed 2007 (not willing to do gluten challenge) and anemic

no dairy, soy, legumes, eggs, sugar, chocolate

no baked and processed foods (also gluten-free bakery) and high GI (due to hypoglycemia)

enjoy brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa and polenta instead

neurological symptoms flare up when glutened and in times of stress

following paleo diet, lots of raw fruit and veg, omega 3 oils, nuts

I feel heathy and able to function for the first time in my life. Thank God.

Organic food gives a great advantage.

Kefir rules!

On a mission to get rid of Candida overgrowth after a stressful event dropped my immune system. On a strict anti-candida diet using herbs and natural remedies. No meds or drugs to make it worse thanks.

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/candida.php

http://www.candidasupport.org/candida.html

Guest cassidy

I was never officially diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but I suffered from it my entire life. My father had the same symptoms and went through testing and my mom was fine with assuming that my problem was the same (this was 25 years ago).

Mine did go away after going gluten-free. Now, when I'm glutened those familiar low blood sugar feelings come right back. So, even though I can't be positive that is what was wrong with me, the symptoms that I had which were relieved by eating, are gone, so I would say there is hope.

I'm glad to hear there's hope. I emailed my diabetic educator (from when I was pregnant) but haven't heard back from her. I may just give her a call for the heck of it and see what she thinks.

Of course I think I cursed myself because yesterday I had the worst hypoglycemic episode I've had in months. Not sure what triggered that because I know I didn't eat any gluten, and I thought I had eaten enough protein. :huh:

I was diagnosed just recently with reactive hypoglycemia. That was before I heard of celiac and changed my diet. The hypoglycemia is gone,,,, for as long as I am gluten free.

I was sick for 2 days after the glucose test. Is it possible there was "gluten" in the glucose? It tasted fruity and was pretty thick. Maybe they glutened me.

Blood test showed reactive hypoglycemia.

Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.

Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

I used to get horribly hypoglycemic. Now I only get it while recovering from a glutening!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

I was diagnosed just recently with reactive hypoglycemia. That was before I heard of celiac and changed my diet. The hypoglycemia is gone,,,, for as long as I am gluten free.

I was sick for 2 days after the glucose test. Is it possible there was "gluten" in the glucose? It tasted fruity and was pretty thick. Maybe they glutened me.

Blood test showed reactive hypoglycemia.

I would think that anything is possible. But I know when I had the glucose test done while I was pregnant, I felt pretty "off" the rest of the day - it's a pretty heavy dose of sugar, so maybe that's what made you sick.

I used to get horribly hypoglycemic. Now I only get it while recovering from a glutening!

That's awesome! :) Hopefully I'll be as fortunate, though 20 years is a long time for damage to be done. I would imagine that if I do heal, it's going to take a long time.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    luvbaggio
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)