Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joanne11

New With Questions

Hi,

My name is Joanne and I am 26 years old. I have been having gi issues for the past 4 years or so, worse in the past two; nausea,bloating,diarhhea,gas off and on every week to every day. I had the whole GI work up last spring with no solid diagnosis except for IBS. My IgG and IgA levels were elevated into the 40's so my doctor ordered a small bowel biopsy which came back negative. I have been reading about the different types of celiac and was wondering if :

1: I could still have celiac even though my biposy was negative

2: I may be predispositioned to celiac and may develop it later

3: If going gluten free would be benificial to my health even if I do not have active celiac, or if it could help prevent future health issues

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be great!

Positive blood work

Negative biopsy

Positive dietary response

Gluten free since March 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Joanne, and welcome :)

Since you tested positive on the blood, and given your symptoms, I would say you have a problem with gluten and need to be on a gluten-free diet.

The biopsy really can not rule out Celiac--it can only rule it in. The damage to the intestine can be patchy, therefore easily missed.

Since you've completed your testing, I would suggest going gluten-free--100%. There is a ton of information here to help you with that. Some tips that will get you started--

In addition to everything you are consuming, you need to check for gluten your personal care products, make up, vitamins and any medications you are taking.

Go through your kitchen and replace any wooden utensils and cutting boards, collander, toaster and scratched non-stick cookware. Those can all harbor gluten that is next to impossible to wash away.

Be wary of eating out in the first few weeks--when you do venture out, you need to make sure the servers and manager (if possible) know about gluten and cross contamination.

Best of luck--let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev