This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Intolerance With Eczema?

PianoMan99

PianoMan99 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a male in my early 20s. I have been struggling with a persistent nausea for about a year now. My only symptoms are nausea and eczema which appeared at about the same time. I have had every medical test you can imagine all with normal results. Really the only thing left that anyone can think of is Celiac disease or gluten intolerance. I have tired going gluten-free for a few days but haven't really noticed any results.

I know that celiac disease is often linked with Dermatitis Herpetiformis (which I do not have). However, I was curious if anyone has ever heard of it linked with eczema?

Also, how many days would you suggest I eat gluten-free in order to know if I am gluten intolerant?

Thanks very much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi PianoMan, and welcome :)

Many people with Celiac have skin problems, eczema being one.

I was interested in what you said about both eczema and nausea presenting together. I began having symptoms in my late 20's, after the birth of my younger son. At the time, my only symptoms were persistant nausea, and soon after, eczema. I was also anemic.

If you are going to get tested by a doctor (blood testing or small intestine biopsy), you should not go off gluten at all. Keep eating it normally until the test.

To test it yourself, I would go 100% gluten-free for a month--foods, beverages, personal care products, watching out for cross contamination both at home and when you are eating out.

Good luck, and if there's any way we can help, let us know.

PianoMan99 Newbie
Hi PianoMan, and welcome :)

Many people with Celiac have skin problems, eczema being one.

I was interested in what you said about both eczema and nausea presenting together. I began having symptoms in my late 20's, after the birth of my younger son. At the time, my only symptoms were persistant nausea, and soon after, eczema. I was also anemic.

If you are going to get tested by a doctor (blood testing or small intestine biopsy), you should not go off gluten at all. Keep eating it normally until the test.

To test it yourself, I would go 100% gluten-free for a month--foods, beverages, personal care products, watching out for cross contamination both at home and when you are eating out.

Good luck, and if there's any way we can help, let us know.

Thanks for your reply jerseyangel. It's great to find a place that shows support, I feel like no one else can understand the pain I have been in for the past year. My eczema is on my inner elbows- is that where yours was? Did your eczema go away once you stopped eating gluten? How long did it take? I don't know if I could actually go off all gluten products for a month, but I am willing to try 5 days. I really just do not want to get my hopes up that I have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. After suffering for this long I just want a diagnosis, some way to know was is actually wrong with me. Do you know of a good website that lists gluten free foods? Also, I never thought about personal care products triggering a gluten reaction, thanks for mentioning that.

I was also reading how the classic symptoms of gluten intolerance are not always present in people with gluten intolerance. This sparked my attention since I do not have bloating, diarrhea, or headaches that so many people with celiac disease have.

Thank again.

jnclelland Contributor
Thanks for your reply jerseyangel. It's great to find a place that shows support, I feel like no one else can understand the pain I have been in for the past year. My eczema is on my inner elbows- is that where yours was? Did your eczema go away once you stopped eating gluten? How long did it take? I don't know if I could actually go off all gluten products for a month, but I am willing to try 5 days.

Unfortunately, 5 days might not be long enough to tell. I had lifelong eczema, some on my inner elbows, but mostly on my hands and face. It got noticeably better within a week off gluten, but it took months before it cleared up completely. However, it DID eventually clear up completely, and I'm still amazed to have soft, smooth skin where I used to have nasty rashes all the time!

If you browse through this web site, you'll find lots of good ideas for gluten-free foods. There's definitely a learning curve, but once you start to get things figured out, eating gluten-free isn't bad at all! For myself, it's well worth the improvements I've seen in my health as a result.

Jeanne

PianoMan99 Newbie
Unfortunately, 5 days might not be long enough to tell. I had lifelong eczema, some on my inner elbows, but mostly on my hands and face. It got noticeably better within a week off gluten, but it took months before it cleared up completely. However, it DID eventually clear up completely, and I'm still amazed to have soft, smooth skin where I used to have nasty rashes all the time!

If you browse through this web site, you'll find lots of good ideas for gluten-free foods. There's definitely a learning curve, but once you start to get things figured out, eating gluten-free isn't bad at all! For myself, it's well worth the improvements I've seen in my health as a result.

Jeanne

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to figure out how long I need to go off gluten to see if I have a gluten intolerance. The most I have been off of it is 3 days with no real difference. What was your experience? I just want this nausea to go away.

Ursa Major Collaborator

From everything I've read and heard, eczema is always caused by food intolerances. One food that often causes eczema and nausea, other than gluten, is dairy. Have you ever considered that you may be intolerant to dairy?

My oldest granddaughter used to be covered from head to toe in eczema when she was a baby and toddler. It was so bad that she looked like she had scales. Once they figured out that she was intolerant (not allergic, it wouldn't show up on an allergy test) and eliminated all dairy, her skin cleared right up. That child (now six) has the most beautiful clear skin imaginable now.

So, it could be gluten, or dairy, or both. Or something else altogether. But gluten, dairy, as well as eggs and soy would be the first ones to check.

PianoMan99 Newbie
From everything I've read and heard, eczema is always caused by food intolerances. One food that often causes eczema and nausea, other than gluten, is dairy. Have you ever considered that you may be intolerant to dairy?

My oldest granddaughter used to be covered from head to toe in eczema when she was a baby and toddler. It was so bad that she looked like she had scales. Once they figured out that she was intolerant (not allergic, it wouldn't show up on an allergy test) and eliminated all dairy, her skin cleared right up. That child (now six) has the most beautiful clear skin imaginable now.

So, it could be gluten, or dairy, or both. Or something else altogether. But gluten, dairy, as well as eggs and soy would be the first ones to check.

Thank you for your reply. I don't think it's dairy as I hardly eat any dairy. I am convinced, as you mentioned, that my eczema is caused by a food intolerance. I have had complete allergy testing and am allergic to no foods, so I am even more convinced that it is a food intolerance.

I was reading an interesting medical journal artilce on PubMed which talked about how more than ever, people diagnosed with GI/celiac disease have the "atypical" symptoms. I am hoping that I fall into this category since my only symptom is nausea, tenderness in the region below my sternum, and eczema. Just have to learn how to totally eliminate gluten from my diet for a few weeks...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks for your reply jerseyangel. It's great to find a place that shows support, I feel like no one else can understand the pain I have been in for the past year. My eczema is on my inner elbows- is that where yours was? Did your eczema go away once you stopped eating gluten? How long did it take? I don't know if I could actually go off all gluten products for a month, but I am willing to try 5 days. I really just do not want to get my hopes up that I have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. After suffering for this long I just want a diagnosis, some way to know was is actually wrong with me. Do you know of a good website that lists gluten free foods? Also, I never thought about personal care products triggering a gluten reaction, thanks for mentioning that.

I was also reading how the classic symptoms of gluten intolerance are not always present in people with gluten intolerance. This sparked my attention since I do not have bloating, diarrhea, or headaches that so many people with celiac disease have.

Thank again.

PianoMan,

Sorry I didn't get right back to you--I've had a pretty busy weekend.

5 days isn't really enough time to tell if the diet is truly making a difference for you. Have you noticed any difference at all in the way you feel?

My eczema was on my eyelids. It persisted for years--I tried every cream known to man--Rx steroids to eye creams and everything in between. Nothing ever worked for very long.

Going gluten-free helped for a while, then the eczema reoccured. After some more of my symptoms came back, I began to suspect additional food intolerances. I saw an allergist, was tested for true food allergies, and was found to have none. The doctor suggested an elimination diet.

I found out that I was sensitive to many foods, in addition to gluten. They are soy, corn, legumes, coconut, tapioca, and dairy. It was at the same time I completely eliminated legumes from my diet that the eczema went away, and has not come back. It's been just about a year.

I'm not sure if it was the legumes, or just a combination of finally identifying the problamatic foods, and eliminating them.

You are correct that not all Celiacs or gluten intolerant people will present with the "classic" symptoms. There are about 200 symptoms associated with Celiac, and that is one of the reasons why it's so underdiagnosed.

Here is a list of safe foods and ingredients--

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-27107199929.cb

Of course fresh meats, poultry, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts, rice, and eggs are naturally gluten-free foods.

Believe me, I do understand the pain you've had and the frustration at not knowing what the heck is wrong. I was misdiagnosed for 20 years before I was finally diagnosed at age 49.

I see that you've had lots of testing, all negative. Have you been tested specifically for Celiac? It won't show up on standard blood tests--you have to have the Celiac Blood Panel done. If you want, I can list the exact tests to ask your doctor for. Again, you do need to be on a full gluten diet for the tests to be accurate.

Please keep me posted on how you do :)

jnclelland Contributor
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to figure out how long I need to go off gluten to see if I have a gluten intolerance. The most I have been off of it is 3 days with no real difference. What was your experience? I just want this nausea to go away.

When I first started on this whole journey, it was because I started seeing a new acupuncturist, and she told me that I was allergic to wheat and dairy, and that I needed to stop eating them before she would be able to help me feel better. My initial reaction to this was something like, "Great - would you like me to sprout wings and fly, too?" But eventually I decided I would try it for a week and see what happened. (I dunno why I picked a week rather than some other time period; maybe it just seemed manageable.) I'm not sure whether I noticed much difference within 3 days, but by the end of that week I felt different in a million little ways. My eczema was starting to clear up, my anxiety level dropped significantly, and I just felt lighter somehow. Whatever it was, it was enough for me to decide that wheat and dairy were not good for me! Over time, I tried to pay attention to what other foods caused me problems - and it was a LOT easier to tell once I got the wheat and dairy out of my system. So after a few months I went completely gluten-free, and eventually soy-free as well.

I never expected to end up here, but the obvious improvements to my health - some in ways that I didn't even know needed improvement! - are well worth the dietary sacrifice. People tell me that they're sorry that I can't eat such-and-such, and I say - don't be! I feel better than I've ever felt in my life, and for the most part I don't miss the foods that were making me sick.

I know it seems daunting at first, but you've got nothing to lose by trying the diet for a few weeks. Stock up on plenty of gluten-free goodies so you won't feel deprived, and give it a shot! :)

Jeanne

Joanie & Meg Newbie
Hi everyone,

I am a male in my early 20s. I have been struggling with a persistent nausea for about a year now. My only symptoms are nausea and eczema which appeared at about the same time. I have had every medical test you can imagine all with normal results. Really the only thing left that anyone can think of is Celiac disease or gluten intolerance. I have tired going gluten-free for a few days but haven't really noticed any results.

I know that celiac disease is often linked with Dermatitis Herpetiformis (which I do not have). However, I was curious if anyone has ever heard of it linked with eczema?

Also, how many days would you suggest I eat gluten-free in order to know if I am gluten intolerant?

Thanks very much!

Dear Piano Man My daughters skin completely cleared up after being gluten free for a few weeks! Best thing we ever did! Along with alot of other issues she had. We have also like others found out dairy is a problem. Mostly if she gets a milk shake-that sucks for her-however she doesn't like getting sick so she just does her best to live without. To us the diet is so worth it not just because of the skin problems-wish you best of luck! It never hurts to try the diet-you may be surprised. Remember you have to check everything to be 100% gluten free.

PianoMan99 Newbie

Thank you everyone for your replies!! They have been very inspirational. I have not yet had a Celiac blood panel (it's about the only test that I have not had.) I am going to go gluten-free for a week, and then longer if it makes any difference. Then I'll get the blood panel to confirm. My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that I do not have Celiac but a gluten intolerance that will probably come and go throughout my life. But we will see! Thanks again everyone!

Ursa Major Collaborator

You need to have the blood panel done BEFORE you go gluten-free, otherwise you may end up with a false negative, even if you have celiac disease.

You either are gluten intolerant, or you are not. It won't come and go throughout your life. If you can't tolerate gluten you should stop eating it forever. Once it's triggered and you react, that's it, no going back.

• 1 month later...
PianoMan99 Newbie

So after being gluten free for a few week and noticing no difference I started to suspect something else. You see, every morning after my breakfast of plain Cheerios (without milk) I always feel great until about 20 minutes after lunch, when the nausea in my upper stomach starts to kick in. This is very consistent and has been for over a year. However I noticed yesterday that after I ate a meal very heavy in soy tofu and soy "peanut" butter, I felt extra terrible. Perhaps I have a soy intolerance? I know soy is in more food than is gluten, which is why it may have been hard to pinpoint in the past. What does everyone think?

jerseyangel Proficient
So after being gluten free for a few week and noticing no difference I started to suspect something else. You see, every morning after my breakfast of plain Cheerios (without milk) I always feel great until about 20 minutes after lunch, when the nausea in my upper stomach starts to kick in. This is very consistent and has been for over a year. However I noticed yesterday that after I ate a meal very heavy in soy tofu and soy "peanut" butter, I felt extra terrible. Perhaps I have a soy intolerance? I know soy is in more food than is gluten, which is why it may have been hard to pinpoint in the past. What does everyone think?

If you've been eating Cheerios for breakfast every day, you have not been gluten-free at all! That's why your symptoms haven't changed.

You may very well be intolerant to soy, too.

I'd replace your Cheerios with something safe, and see if you don't begin to feel better. :)

BTW, maybe you'd like to give us an idea of what else you're eating to make sure you get all of the gluten out this time. :D

PianoMan99 Newbie
If you've been eating Cheerios for breakfast every day, you have not been gluten-free at all! That's why your symptoms haven't changed.

You may very well be intolerant to soy, too.

I'd replace your Cheerios with something safe, and see if you don't begin to feel better. :)

BTW, maybe you'd like to give us an idea of what else you're eating to make sure you get all of the gluten out this time. :D

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for my micommunication. I only started eating Cheerios AFTER I had completed my gluten free diet. Before that, I had gluten-free Rice Crisp cereal for breakfast with no milk. While on my gluten-free diet, I ate lots of fruits, vegetables, plain chicken, and products that clearly said "gluten free" on the package. I prepared all the foods myself so am pretty certain I was eating gluten-free. I also ensured all of my shampoos and lotions were gluten free.

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for my micommunication. I only started eating Cheerios AFTER I had completed my gluten free diet. Before that, I had gluten-free Rice Crisp cereal for breakfast with no milk. While on my gluten-free diet, I ate lots of fruits, vegetables, plain chicken, and products that clearly said "gluten free" on the package. I prepared all the foods myself so am pretty certain I was eating gluten-free. I also ensured all of my shampoos and lotions were gluten free.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

Archived