This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Craving A Candy Bar!

LoveBeingATwin

mysecretcurse Contributor
Starburst

Skittles

What the heck? The last package of skittles I looked at said wheat right on the label. I can't remember where it was.. I wonder if it was when I was in Cambodia. If so it might make sense, because M&M's in Cambodia contain wheat and the ones in the USA are gluten free. Weird! I just assumed that American skittles and starburst had gluten all this time!

I don't know if it's gluten or what but Reeses made me throw up. :( It might just be all the chemical crap thats in them.

I'm so excited to find out the Dove promises are gluten free! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor
:) Resee's (full sized) have been in my shopping cart every week since going gluten-free - we also like m&m's both plain and peanut
Billygean Apprentice

Snickers just announced in the UK that they're not gluten free, they contain malt.

adelaidez Rookie

Natural flavourings.. i have been keeping away from candy and chocolate etc that have this in it, i got told that natural flavourings have wheat in it, is this true?

And i am glad to that Snickers is safe to eat too... my favourite candy by far:P

mattathayde Apprentice
What the heck? The last package of skittles I looked at said wheat right on the label. I can't remember where it was.. I wonder if it was when I was in Cambodia. If so it might make sense, because M&M's in Cambodia contain wheat and the ones in the USA are gluten free. Weird! I just assumed that American skittles and starburst had gluten all this time!

I don't know if it's gluten or what but Reeses made me throw up. :( It might just be all the chemical crap thats in them.

I'm so excited to find out the Dove promises are gluten free! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!

in the states they even say "a gluten free food" on them on the back

-matt

QueenOfPain Rookie

You poor thing! Bags and bags of Dove chocolate is what helped me cope with this gluten-free diet. I should've bought stock in the Mars company!

• 4 months later...
Fallulah Newbie
Natural flavourings.. i have been keeping away from candy and chocolate etc that have this in it, i got told that natural flavourings have wheat in it, is this true?

And i am glad to that Snickers is safe to eat too... my favourite candy by far:P

I've learned the hard way to avoid ANYTHING that lists a generic ingredient like 'natural flavors' or 'spices', unless the packaging also specifically states it is a gluten-free item.

And at least here in the states, even if there is not an ingredient that raises a red flag, some candies are processed on equipment or packaged off conveyer belts that are coated with wheat flour to keep things from sticking. :(

I tend to shop the health food store for my chocolate, and only buy "regular" candies that specifically list themselves as gluten free. Yippey for Skittles and Hot Tamales! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

homemaker Enthusiast

I got this from the Snickers Site

Open Original Shared Link

GFinDC Veteran

I sometimes get Goya chocolate bars at the local Giant food store. They are dairy free but they do have soy lecithin in them.

Ingredients are sugar, chocolate liquor, vanillin, soy lecithin, salt. They come in a large bar with a bright yellow paper wrapper. I couldn't find an exact product page link for them. Goya suggests using them for hot chocolate. At my local Giant Foods they are in the Mexican foods section, not in the regular candy section. They are cheap compared to most chocolate and don't make me sick. They are also mostly sugar though, much sweeter and harder than a Snickers or such things. More like a baking chocolate bar but extra sugary sweet. They would probably work well to melt on top of home made candies, like nut bars or something.

Open Original Shared Link

Swimmr Contributor

When I'm having a bad candy bar craving...usually only during a specific time of each month (LOL) I snag some reese cups or a snickers. Not the little individually wrapped snack size as I'm told those are not ok to have sometimes.

I never seem to react.

The reese morsels on the other hand are NOT ok. I am pretty sure. I tried out the new Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies and put some of the Reese morsels in and had some BAD issues with DH and stomach problems. I recently tried the chocolate chip cookies withOUT the morsels and NO issues what-so-ever.

Archived