Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm new to this. I heard there are some shampoos you shouldn't use. The shampoo I've been using states wheat as a ingredient but it's not like I'm drinking it. I'm only going by what I see here and in books my doc just gave me a pamphlet and sent me on my way. Could that really be unsafe or am I just being paranoid?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm new to this. I heard there are some shampoos you shouldn't use. The shampoo I've been using states wheat as a ingredient but it's not like I'm drinking it. I'm only going by what I see here and in books my doc just gave me a pamphlet and sent me on my way. Could that really be unsafe or am I just being paranoid?

Your not being paranoid and yes you do need to use a shampoo, conditioner, makeup and soaps etc. that are gluten free. Dove will clearly label gluten ingredients like wheat and oats. Suave will also. Most of the Giovanni product line is safe also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Agreed - think how many times you touch your hair or face and then make something to eat, bite your nails, etc... Also - believe it or not, most of us do get product in our mouth when we shower - it's how I ended up with giardia in Nepal the first day I got there!

Laurie

Yes, please be careful about your personal care products. I was recently glutened for over a month by a sunscreen and face lotion that did not have any gluten ingredients listed on the labels. If I had called or emailed and checked (as I ultimately did), I wouldn't have gotten sick. These products contained "wheat derived ingredients". Although I only used them topically, enough of it found it's way into my mouth to make me sick.

I am extremely careful with my food, never eat out and have never cheated. I eat 95% whole foods, very little processed food. After 2 years, I think I got too confidant, and thought that just reading the label on personal care products was enough. Huge mistake!

There are companies that will list any gluten, such as Dove. But when dealing with a company that you're not sure about--always, always call.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev