Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trober

Plane Travel To Alaska

We are traveling by plane for the first time with our 5 year old twins. I haven't been in an airport in probably 3 years and don't know if I need to pack a backpack with dinner and snacks for my DD?? I know the airport will be scary to find anything but candy for her- If I pack the backpack, will security let me bring it?? That is my biggest question. We are taking the 5:30pm flight (so we will be there from 3:30) and we land 7 hours later! We are flying Continental.

Any advice is greatly appreciated-

PS- do I bother contacting the airlines if I am bringing all my own stuff for her???

Thanks-

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Security will let you bring all non-liquids on the plane so I'd try to pack mostly that kind of stuff. I believe they will let you bring some liquid if you have a doctor's note, but I'd call on that just to clarify the regulations.

Most airlines have gluten-free food available for long flights, so I'd call and see what they can offer.

We were just in Alaska, you will need to bring anything you want to eat on the plane with you. On the flight out they offered "meals" sandwiches and one salad, by the time the offerings arrived in our part of the plane the salads were gone and so was my chance to get anything to eat. I did have some gluten-free crackers so the long flight was not so long. Coming back they had pretzels as a snack and a warm chocolate chip cookie. I had pamela's walnut and chocolate chip cookies, very good. Food is ok to bring on the plane it is only liquids and gels that are not allowed. Bring food and have a good trip, the Alaskan salmon was delicious! Have a good time. Brenda

Bring all her food you need for the flight with you. As long as the food is NOT liquid there should be no problem getting it through security. Yogurt and any food with similar consistancy is considered a liquid. I buy all my liquid after I go through security. Water, soda and juice are available. Milk can be bought at McDonalds if one is in the airport. I have a note allowing me to bring on a small amount of blue ice to keep my food cold. I have never had to use it. I put all my food into a small backpack. The cold food is in a small softsided lunch box which is also in my backpack. As backup I care small ziplock bags just in case my blue ice is taken from me. I can get ice from one of the food places to fill them.

In addition to the suggestions already listed I have packed premade Peanutbutter and Jelly on rice bread, cold cooked chicken (any othe cold cooked meat will work), nuts, fresh whole fruit, and raw vegetables.

I have ordered gluten free meals for airline flights. They are only available if a meal is being served, which is a rarity. As already suggested call the airline.

Edit: Bring twice as much as you think you will need. Planes don't alway leave on time.

Have a great trip.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...
    I disagree with this statement.   Mental conditions are not "already there" in people with Celiac Disease.  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause changes in ...
    I'm a firm believer that celiac disease only aggravates mental conditions that are already there. The withdrawals can possibly cause mood issues like someone coming down off of drugs, alcohol or tobacco but it's not the gluten per se. Generally...