Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nathan's mom

Corn Products And Gluten

I'm confused about corn. I've read the post about Bob's Red Mill not labeling their corn products as gluten-free because it is produced in the regular mill. They wrote that as soon as they get gluten free corn to mill they will label it as such. Is all corn purchased in the U.S. somehow contaminated with wheat because of the initial grain storage or something else?

I was ready to make a pie crust with some Rapunzel organic corn starch (paid a whopper for that) and read, "May contain traces of wheat". Ugh. Does anyone know of corn products (chips, starch, anything) that is actually labeled gluten-free?

Thanks,

Still muddying my way through here :unsure:

I'm confused about corn. I've read the post about Bob's Red Mill not labeling their corn products as gluten-free because it is produced in the regular mill. They wrote that as soon as they get gluten free corn to mill they will label it as such. Is all corn purchased in the U.S. somehow contaminated with wheat because of the initial grain storage or something else?

I was ready to make a pie crust with some Rapunzel organic corn starch (paid a whopper for that) and read, "May contain traces of wheat". Ugh. Does anyone know of corn products (chips, starch, anything) that is actually labeled gluten-free?

Thanks,

Still muddying my way through here :unsure:

Personally, I would not buy a product that says "May contain traces of wheat", although, I don't recall ever seeing that statement. The other rule of thought would be that this is a CYA statement.

I do tend to buy corn products with the least amount of ingrediences in them...chips, corn meal, corn starch.

I use Argo as well and have never had an issue. Good, cheap corn starch. :) Its found at most grocery stores and is labeled gluten free right on the box. Clabber Girl baking powder also says gluten free right on the can.

I use Argo as well and have never had an issue. Good, cheap corn starch. :) Its found at most grocery stores and is labeled gluten free right on the box. Clabber Girl baking powder also says gluten free right on the can.

Angie...that desert in your avatar is making me soo hungry! Did you that recipe we got on the board the other day?

Angie...that desert in your avatar is making me soo hungry! Did you that recipe we got on the board the other day?

I was wondering the same thing. I just commented on another thread about how I made that shortcake recipe and how much we enjoyed it.

Angie, yours looks so good!