This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bad Reaction - Need Help!

DebNC84

DebNC84 Apprentice

I have been gluten free since june of this year - for the most part doing pretty good - until this week - I purchased some gluten free cookie mix - 365 Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (it's distributed by whole foods) I know I didn't anything else that could have caused this problem - my gut has been killing me for two days - severe gas and bloating something that seems to be more severe now since I've been gluten free - I think that I'm actually more sensitive to gluten products intestinally. I guess my gut was so dead that it didn't matter so much - but that's another topic my question is

HAS ANYONE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS PRODUCT? I eat egg and milk products all the time and don't seem to have any problems with either... SUGGESTIONS? Is it possible that there is something in the product that IS NOT gluten free and they screwed up? I'm telling you - this has been really bad. I'm actually a DH person as well and I've started itching and breaking out a little.

thanks for your input.

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Did you bake your cookies on glutened pans ??? I glutened myself with Gluten Free Pantry's yummy brownie mix after I made then in a mini muffin tin that had gluten in it. Ugh.

I'd also look at what else you are eating since I'm sure you aren't just eating cookies. ;)

jerseyangel Proficient

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I have reacted to every 365 Brand product that I've tried. One of those products was sent to the lab at the U of Nebraska, and tested negative for gluten--but the rep told me that they only tested down to 200 PPM.

This may have changed, so I would suggest you call them and see if the product was made in a facility or on equipment that also processes gluten, and about how/if they check for gluten in the products.

DebNC84 Apprentice
Did you bake your cookies on glutened pans ??? I glutened myself with Gluten Free Pantry's yummy brownie mix after I made then in a mini muffin tin that had gluten in it. Ugh.

I'd also look at what else you are eating since I'm sure you aren't just eating cookies. ;)

nope - brand new cookie sheet. I've learned my lesson on the "used" baking equipment - about 3 weeks ago I made some gluten-free waffles in my old teflon coated waffle iron - BIG MISTAKE - I knew better - I just wanted those waffles so bad!! it was the Kinnikinnick (spelling?) brand and they were great! But this was a mild reaction I had from the waffles... nothing like what I've been going through the last couple days... I'm a little better today and I still have cookies left - I'm almost tempted to wait till I get better and be the martyr and try it again.. just to make sure. sounds dumb huh? They were SO GOOD!

Good idea though... If I hadn't known about using new baking stuff - it could have been the problem...

DebNC84 Apprentice
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I have reacted to every 365 Brand product that I've tried. One of those products was sent to the lab at the U of Nebraska, and tested negative for gluten--but the rep told me that they only tested down to 200 PPM.

This may have changed, so I would suggest you call them and see if the product was made in a facility or on equipment that also processes gluten, and about how/if they check for gluten in the products.

wow - thanks! I don't think i'm going to try that brand again. I made some Bob's Red Mill brownies one time and made a chocolate cake from the back of a tapioca flour box and both were great with no reactions.

it says on the box that it was made in a 100% gluten free facility... but maybe it was the chocolate chips?

Archived