This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Small Rant

Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

My husband, whom I love, glutened me again. It always happens when we come back from family functions with his family. I am beyond paranoid careful when it comes to me and my daughter over there to make sure we dont get glutened. Well he ate three turkey sandwiches at his mom and dad's filled with gluten, no big deal as long as he is careful and washes his hands is all I ask to try and make sure he doesnt bring it home and make me and my daughter sick. Well thank goodness I dont *think* my daughter was glutened but I was and its a doozy. I'm on day 3 of diarrhea, joint aches up and down my body to the point as to where its difficult to walk the stairs, sciatica, throwing up, migraines and asthma problems. I would think it was the stomach flu but I had a seizure in the beginning so I know its gluten. I have never thrown up or had diarrhea for this long afterwards its to the point of being ridiculous. I had so much to do this weekend too and I am having a horrible time because I just cant recooperate I have to go and go still, part of motherhood and family obligations.

I am secretly furious at him for not knowing after almost 2 1/2 years to wash his hands thoroughly after eating that poison before he comes home and touching everything else. I cant let him know Im angry because it was a unintentional mistake but Im really not liking at the moment the 5 get togethers in the next month at his family's houses for holiday parties that we will be expected to attend. I am lucky we have a gluten free house with his cooperation for the most part but geez I just wish gluten would be outlawed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di-gfree Apprentice

I

Sweetfudge Community Regular

my husband seems convinced that something that small couldn't possibly make me so sick. it's very frustrating when they don't understand. :(

FootballFanatic Contributor

I'm sorry.

miles2go Contributor

I am secretly furious at him for not knowing after almost 2 1/2 years to wash his hands thoroughly after eating that poison before he comes home and touching everything else.

Could it be that he's unintentionally glutening you by kissing you after being around all that gluteny badness? It's hard to remember silly things like doing the Hollywood mooch on the cheek while remembering that they might be wearing some kind of make-up and other things...

I'm extremely sensitive, too. Hugs are good! :)

Hope you feel better soon, gffamily!

loco-ladi Contributor
Could it be that he's unintentionally glutening you by kissing you after being around all that gluteny badness?

My hubby did this to me just the once, now he knows and wont kiss me until he has brushed his teeth twice!

Joss Rookie

I live with my sister and she always leaves crumbs around. Somehow they get everywhere and she thinks I am paranoid by insisting that even one crumb can cause trouble.

Yesterday she made me some relish from beets I prepared earlier. She made a big fuss about not using malt vinegar in them. I told her red vinegar would be fine because the beets were red. She still fussed about not using the malted variety. Anyway today I had diahrrea so something must have crept in somewhere. I am dreading her making her christmas shortbreads.

Joss

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks :) Im feeling much better now. I know it wasnt kissing as he didnt get a peck that night since I was irritated at him :lol: I guess its par for the course thankfully he does try to accomodate and eats gluten free 99% of the time.

dh204 Apprentice

Oh boy, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

EVERY single time I go visit the in-laws I ALWAYS get glutened.

I've tried explaining over and over again but they just don't get it. They think I am over dramatizing everything.

My husband is just as bad - crumbs all over the place. When I ask him to please clean up his crumbs he says, "Yeah I'll do it" but an hour later, he hasn't moved.

It's been pretty bad for me lately, especially because one of my reactions is major acne - in fact I haven't had such a bad breakout on my face since I was first diagnosed. Not to mention that I've got some crazy eczema all over my arms and legs too. I pointed out all these physical signs to my husband and his family and they're just like, "Oh, you're crazy and you're just exaggerating!"

It is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

At least your household is gluten free. My husband (and his teenage sister who is living with us) refuse 100%. Oh, and he never washes his hands after touching all that gluten either.

picho Newbie
My husband, whom I love, glutened me again. It always happens when we come back from family functions with his family. I am beyond paranoid careful when it comes to me and my daughter over there to make sure we dont get glutened. Well he ate three turkey sandwiches at his mom and dad's filled with gluten, no big deal as long as he is careful and washes his hands is all I ask to try and make sure he doesnt bring it home and make me and my daughter sick. Well thank goodness I dont *think* my daughter was glutened but I was and its a doozy. I'm on day 3 of diarrhea, joint aches up and down my body to the point as to where its difficult to walk the stairs, sciatica, throwing up, migraines and asthma problems. I would think it was the stomach flu but I had a seizure in the beginning so I know its gluten. I have never thrown up or had diarrhea for this long afterwards its to the point of being ridiculous. I had so much to do this weekend too and I am having a horrible time because I just cant recooperate I have to go and go still, part of motherhood and family obligations.

I am secretly furious at him for not knowing after almost 2 1/2 years to wash his hands thoroughly after eating that poison before he comes home and touching everything else. I cant let him know Im angry because it was a unintentional mistake but Im really not liking at the moment the 5 get togethers in the next month at his family's houses for holiday parties that we will be expected to attend. I am lucky we have a gluten free house with his cooperation for the most part but geez I just wish gluten would be outlawed.

I can also understand you.

I'm the only one in my family who has celiac, and when me and my hubby go with our daughters to a dinner in my parents house or in his parents house, I always need to remind them what I can eat.

for example on Rosh Hashana (New Year Evening), we were invited to by my parents for a dinner.

my mother prepared for me special gluten free dishes, but she also prepared some gluten dishes, my sister took the spoon from one of the gluten free dish and used it for the gluten dish, and than before I could say anything to remind her, she put it back in the gluten free dish, I was so upset and angry, and she didn't understand what she's done wrong, although she knows I have celiac, and that she mustn't do this. what can we do.......

I hope you are feeling well.

dh204 and pico- Im very lucky due to many of my immediate family members have celiac also. It makes holidays so much easier. This year I didnt even have to make thanksgiving dishes or desserts at all. It wasnt always this easy though so I know how difficult it is. My husband became gluten free by default, really no choice on his part. When I discovered my diagnosis I found out my daughter was intolerant also and it explained her weird little rashes she would get. It may sound mean but I didnt give him a choice. It was bad enough I had to watch him eat krispy kremes but it was not going to happen in front of my 2 year old at home. I had issues with cc before in our home and there was no way I would allow it in our house. Thankfully my husband is very sympathetic and honestly he would starve since I refused to buy it or cook with it anymore at all, it just will not happen in my house.

Im a fully stubborn irish german mix in my blood :lol: I did make him feel guilty with me when I asked him if his gluten foods were worth my life being lost, he said of course not and I told him with me steadily getting glutened I might not make old age with him and when his daughter was diagnosed it was a very easy change. It took him a while to get use to it but he loved how his reflux is completely gone now without medication. Also his gas is horrendous with gluten now so he appreciates my cooking much more ;) Honestly if you can get them to go gluten free for a few months they will not mind being that way with some of the side effects that will happen when they go back :lol: I know dirty trick but it works and they will be much healthier because of it.

larry mac Enthusiast

It must be very difficult to be that sensitive. I just can't comprehend it as I don't have to worry about being that careful. I feel for you. I wonder what percentage of Celiacs are extremely sensitive?

My mother-in-law whose visiting us for the holidays just got a piece of bread and layed it directly on the counter to make a peanut butter sandwich. I was forced to tell her "we have a rule about that"! I've always been amazed when people do that. My family never did that when I was growing up, we always used a plate or a paper towel. All my life I've followed that rule and taught my kids that too. I've only been a diagnosed Celiac for a year, but even if I wasn't, why would you want to put your food on a countertop? It's just unsanitary. I still catch my wife doing it sometimes. I guess there are two kinds of families. Once a food on counter person, it's hard to break that lifelong habit.

best regards, lm

That would drive me nuts if they just laid out wheat bread on the counter, crumbs everywhere. I never lay food on the counter either. If I am making a sandwich I always put it on a plate or a paper towel, former is preferred unless I'm being lazy with dishes :lol:

I hate to say this but I became much more sensitive when I hit the 2 year mark. I think it took that long to heal for me before I really reacted to it. I hope you don't become as sensitive to it as I am.

Yenni Enthusiast

I am so sorry you got contaminated. Horrible.

I leave in a house full of gluten (with husbands family) and I am super paranoid about getting contaminated. They have no feel for it at all.

Hope you recover quickly.

I am very sensitive too, but don't get quite as sick as you do.

Thank you Jenny :) Im fine now thankfully. Im sorry you have to live like that, it makes it very difficult to feel you cant touch anything in your home. I look at gluten like rat poison anymore. We went out to outback ages ago with my husbands parents and they ordered their regular gluten filled foods and when they cut their bread and the crumbs spread all over the table I felt a panic attack coming on, its sad we have to be that scared of getting a crumb :( I hope you can change your situation soon as to where you dont have to live like it.

Archived