• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

i_miss_cookie*dough

Oh Lordy Soy Too!?

Rate this topic

i have been

off the gluten for over 8 weeks.

but my symptoms haven't gotten better

so i took the forum advice and went off dairy

3 weeks ago -

(aside from one pc of dark choc a day - could that hurt?)

i have replaced my

daily yogurt and milk with

soy versions or almond milk.

but my nausea and fatigue

persist and my tummy feels

gurgly and gassy

when i eat the yogurt or drink

even a 1/2 cup of soy milk!

but it also feels weird when i drink even

a 1/2 cup of almond milk.

hmmm...

so i guess i have to give up soy too??

AND the almond milk?

and does that mean ALL SOY?

or are there certain things

that are especially bad?

or, could i keep eating it, since its not

DAMAGING, like gluten...

just makes me gurgle.

and with dairy...

does that mean ALL DAIRY?

like even butter and chocolate?

is there a test i could take?

trying to get to FEELING BETTER!

: )

grr... <_<

you can test threw entrolab for casein, soy eggs and yeast. I had to give up soy and casein to feel better, but my tounge tingles when i eat soy, so i think that is an allergy.

paula

Yes, if you are eliminating dairy, it means ALL dairy. You can get dark chocolate that has no dairy. You can also get "milk" chocolate made with rice milk. I just bought a bar the other day made by Terra Nostra that was 100% gluten-free and CF. I was really impressed with the taste...the kids loved it too!

Regarding soy, you may want to try eliminating it as well. And, again, ALL soy. Almond Breeze has some soy in it BTW.

Good luck! Hope you're able to sort it all out soon. :)

Michelle

I never had to give up dairy, but have had to give up nearly everything else. After gluten, soy was the next to go. I hads been gluten-free for 2 yrs when I had to give up dairy, up until then, I seemed to be doing ok. I had wanted to lose some weight and decided to try the Eat Right For Your Blood Type Diet. I am a Type A blood tpye and he tells Type A's to stay away from dairy, so I grudgingly gave up dairy and switched to soy. I honestly liked 8th Continent Vanilla SoyMilk, and I was using soy flour, tofu--lots of products. Then, it hit me, constipation, terrible rashes--the knowledge that soy was a big problem was slow for me to realize, but when it finally hit me, I gladly went back to my dairy and things went back to normal. Everytime I got some soy, more symptoms--so, no soy in my life now. After that, I learned to watch for symptoms. Corn later became a problem, then nightshades--tomatoes, almost instantly make me ill, within 1/2 hour I get diarrhea from them and I have tried them every way I can because I love them. Mushrooms I have not been able to eat for years. Potatoes are a thing of my past, except for potato chips, strange, but I can still eat them. No cruciferous veggies. All grains are gone now and all but glutens make me break out in a bright red, raw rash on my tummy, most constipate me. When my tummy has a little rash, I know I have gotten something, somewhere, sometimes I never know what it was from. Usually I figure it probably is from the citric acid in a product. I do the best I can, that's all I can do and I hope nothing else is taken away from me.

Sometimes folks who have problems with soy can handle soy oil. Many can handle soy lecithin. But there are those who can't handle soy in any form. Other than by trial I don't know how you would tell.

I miss cookie dough:

I saw your name and had just made chocolate chip cookies yesterday, anyway the recipe was out of Analise Roberts gluten-free Baking Classics, and in the book she talked about making cookie dough for ice cream, so when I saw your name it made me smile and I thought I should tell you that you can still have cookie dough!

I use the same recipes that I used to make just substitute the flour with Authentic Foods Multi-Blend flour and so far it has worked the best...

awww...you are so sweet!

i will have to check out that book!

would love to make it

for ice cream as

that was my FAVORITE!! : )

guess i will conquer that

once i am back on the dairy! : )

thanks again.

so sweet!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

I just had my kid retested for celiac disease and we are waiting for the results.  Her doctor does not hesitate to test since I have a firm diagnosis.  I can also say that my PCP and GI  never hesitate to check for other AI issues either.  They know that you can develop more than one autoimmune disorder.  Better to catch it early before damage!   If you get an endoscopy, be sure to do a gluten challenge 2 to 4 weeks prior or your result will be negative!  
  • Blog Entries