Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laurelfla

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Hi, all!

I wanted to report on my honeymoon on the Norwegian Spirit (stopping in Roat

diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy

gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wow, that sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing.

To what extent do you think they could accommodate someone with multiple food restrictions, like, say, me :rolleyes: I went on a river cruise with another line last summer and they simply couldn't accommodate vegetarian, without gluten, dairy, egg or soy. I had to eat fish just to get enough calories, not that it was very good, since the chef only seemed to know how to prepare things either breaded and fried or with a cream or cheese sauce. Plain, old unseasoned fish gets old pretty quickly. (At least it doesn't make me sick to eat it.) They glutened me at least twice and egged me once. Their gluten-free bread was best fed to the ducks. (But then I felt guilty because they had such difficulty eating it :lol: ) I didn't have a dessert other than fruit the entire trip, except when I went off the ship and got something.

It wasn't just me, though. There were 5 celiacs on board, plus me. I was the only vegetarian of the bunch, but the others complained too.

How did you let the cruise line know in advance about your dietary needs? Or did you just tell them when you went on board?

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Hi, hathor!

I let my travel agent know, and she sent an email to the company, who then sent back the gluten-free order form for me to order my items. I tried to get back in touch with them closer to the time of the cruise, but they said I didn't need to do anything else, just talk to the maitre d' on board once I got on the ship.

I don't know to what extent they are willing to work with other intolerances, but the maitre d' i worked with seemed very knowledgeable about food ingredients and the chef was certainly creative, so I would email or call the ship coordinator of the cruise you were interested in and ask specifically about how they could accommodate your diet. All the menus onboard said "Let our staff know if you have any food allergies before ordering" so they seem to be open to such matters. I hope this helps!

diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy

gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

Thanks. I'll try that the next time I go on a cruise. I've heard good things about Norwegian before from another celiac, so I figure that they are the ones to go with next. I particularly like all the different restaurants onboard. Flexibility is nice.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)