This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Italian Bread?

jenrn

jenrn Apprentice

Hi everyone. I am new to the boards and pretty new to the gluten free diet (gluten free since 10/07). The one thing I miss so much is a good loaf of Italian bread- the bread that is crunchy and chewy. Not this gluten free bread. Has anyone found any gluten free bread that resembles Italian bread? Thanks for your help.

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jodi Mills Apprentice
Hi everyone. I am new to the boards and pretty new to the gluten free diet (gluten free since 10/07). The one thing I miss so much is a good loaf of Italian bread- the bread that is crunchy and chewy. Not this gluten free bread. Has anyone found any gluten free bread that resembles Italian bread? Thanks for your help.

Jen

I am positive this is not the answer you want to hear, but no, i havent found anything that resembles a good bread, let alone a good italian loaf...If you find anything let me know!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I disagree. There's a thread on here right now regarding a recipe for french bread, I made it monday, it's wonerfully crusty on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside. I usually HATE gluten-free bread, but this was exceptional! But not sure how french and italian breads differ...

Open Original Shared Link

Jodi Mills Apprentice
I disagree. There's a thread on here right now regarding a recipe for french bread, I made it monday, it's wonerfully crusty on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside. I usually HATE gluten-free bread, but this was exceptional! But not sure how french and italian breads differ...

Open Original Shared Link

Thats awesome, I have not ventured into trying to make my own bread yet...still need to get a new bread machine and all...anyhow I wasnt saying there wasnt anything out there, just that i had not found it.

anyhow, i will have to look it over and give it a try! thank you celiac-mommy!

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Thats awesome, I have not ventured into trying to make my own bread yet...still need to get a new bread machine and all...anyhow I wasnt saying there wasnt anything out there, just that i had not found it.

anyhow, i will have to look it over and give it a try! thank you celiac-mommy!

I just started baking my own bread, I was a little apprehensive about it before. I have a bread machine but never use it. I throw all the ingredients (per instructions) in my kitchenaid mixer, put into pans, set on a heating pad set to medium for the rise time and then bake as directed. The only time it didn't turn out, I used a silicone baking pan-not sure if it needed more cooking time or what but one loaf (in metal pan) was perfect and the silicone loaf looked great for 5 minutes and then sunk in on itself...??? It still tasted fine, just looked crazy! For normal sandwich bread I use the Pamela's wheat free bread mix and my DD loves it. The french bread I baked on a cookie sheet. I just spooned it into the shape I wanted, sprayed my fingers with Pam and shaped it prettier, it rose like the recipe said and baked better than I had expected! It took me 2 years to try it, but not sure I will ever buy a 5$ loaf of bread again! Good luck to you! :D

Piesmom Apprentice
I just started baking my own bread, I was a little apprehensive about it before. I have a bread machine but never use it. I throw all the ingredients (per instructions) in my kitchenaid mixer, put into pans, set on a heating pad set to medium for the rise time and then bake as directed. The only time it didn't turn out, I used a silicone baking pan-not sure if it needed more cooking time or what but one loaf (in metal pan) was perfect and the silicone loaf looked great for 5 minutes and then sunk in on itself...??? It still tasted fine, just looked crazy! For normal sandwich bread I use the Pamela's wheat free bread mix and my DD loves it. The french bread I baked on a cookie sheet. I just spooned it into the shape I wanted, sprayed my fingers with Pam and shaped it prettier, it rose like the recipe said and baked better than I had expected! It took me 2 years to try it, but not sure I will ever buy a 5$ loaf of bread again! Good luck to you! :D

We made that bread last week as well and we loved it. And that's even AFTER my husband asked me not to make gluten-free bread anymore (he's the one with the celiac disease) because he just didn't like any of them. I will defintely make this again. I was just thinking this morning if I could make it Italian - style and next time I will just add seasonings to it and see how it goes.

Good luck!

jenrn Apprentice

Thanks for the baking suggestions everyone. I will check out the recipe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Annalise Robert's book, gluten-free Baking Classics has a wonderful recipe for a crusty Italian bread.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I love the Kinnickinnick Italian bread. It does come presliced, I do wish they carried one that was shaped that real italian but for a premade gluten-free bread it is really close. If I want a true loaf bread that I can bake in the oven I really like the Gluten Free Pantries French Bread Mix. It makes a really great pizza crust also, even the gluten eaters I know will eat it.

casnco Enthusiast

Jen

Gluten Free pantry has a Bread/Pizza mix that is like french bead. Not exactly Italian but it is actually good. Let us know if you find a good Italian. (Bread that is, HE!HE!)

Archived