This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Next?

Jlt18

Jlt18 Newbie

Okay it appears that my daughter tested negative on the celiac panel however her IgA was high which can mean allergies and bowel problems (lactose intolerance and I am thinking wheat, gluten etc).

I am wondering if the next step is ELISA comprehensive food panel and enterolabs. I am not sure if the food panel test comfirms gluten sensitivity but I know enterolab does.

Just wanting to get this figured out. I believe her lack of energy, headaches, underweight, psoriasis is related. So she may not have celiac, which is great, but she has food allergies for sure! We already know nuts from a RAST test and dairy.

So do I just take her to her allergist for the ELISA test. I am thinking we may not need a gastro doctor. I am not wanting any kind of biopsy...

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

How about just trying her on the diet for a couple of months? You'll really get the clearest answer that way.

Jlt18 Newbie

I want confirmation of sensitivity/intolerance so she will comply. She sees me as the bad guy, trying something new. She has been on many different psoriasis treatments trying to find what works. She is taking supplements, we started enzymes recently...

I feel like she may be more compliant it there is a "test" versus Mom not letting me eat my Life cereal, toast, etc...she can't have nuts or dairy already. She feels different from all the kids due to Psoriasis (scalp too!) We apply creams 2-3xday (and they are not cheap!)...so I understand her feelings...I think if I show her a test result she will be more open. I want her to be part of the plan, not forced on her...

So that is why I am hot on a "test". I know the best way to figure it out is to eliminate it. BUT it is a big commitment, if she only does it part way we won't really know...

Thanks! Are the ELISA's accurate?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would go with the Enterolab tests as far as the celiac is concerned. I don't know alot about the other test, but I do know that when I was at my worst it was done over and over again and always came back fine. But so did my celiac panels. In other words I don't know how many false negatives are seen or how reliable they are at picking up antibodies rather than allergic reactions. The two are real different.

I do totally agree with your reasons for wanting a firm test. But it can backfire if the tests are a false negative. I would suggest getting the testing done with the full understanding on her part that she will still need to do the diet for a couple of months when the testing is done.

Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

Jlt18 Newbie

Thank you! I think I will do the enterolab first. Yes good point on the false negative. Hmmm. You make a good point.

Thanks for your help!

J

dbmamaz Explorer

I started by dropping wheat and milk, because I was 'allergic' to them from food challenge as an infant. I felt better, but not right. I then did the celiac test, A.L.C.A.T sensitivity test (like the eliza) and regular allergy testing from a local doctor who specailizes in food allergies. The celiac was negative, but I reacted to over 1/3 of the A.L.C.A.T 175 foods, and reacted to all but 6 of the 65 foods the allergist tested me for. He recomended I eat things with a 0 or 1 reaction, so I limited my diet only to foods which were on both tests and were negative on both, or a 1 on the allergy test but negative on the other.

I feel good! I can see reactions so much more easily now! I noticed reactions when I switched brands of chips, when I tried a gluten-free vitamin, when I tried herbal teas, and so many other things! Ok, its really annoying, but I dont think I could have succeeded on a standard elimination diet, since so many of the 'safe' foods (chicken, rice, carrots) are NOT safe for me. And some of my safe foods (soy, corn) are generally considered highly allergenic. So personally, I recomend testing as a place to start your personalized elimination diet.

Good luck getting your daughter's food issues figure out!

Archived