This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Basic Cookie/muffin Mix?

glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

Good morning all

I am craving a cookie!!! :D

does anyone have a good mix tosuggest for cookies or muffins and where to find tastey receipes for this??

I am still learning so much I notice the ones in the stores have tapioca flour in them and that alot of you here avoid that why is that??

enjoy your day

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I use Pamela's, I'm pretty sure it has tapioca in it. We aren't sensitive to it but others are. I use all my regular cookbooks and I sub the mix straight across for the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and I decrease the amount of fat listed BY 2/3 (ie, recipe calls for 1c butter, I use 1/3c)

elonwy Enthusiast

If you can find it, I love Gluten Freeda's Real Cookies. Its basically frozen cookie dough in a tub, preshaped into cookie sizes. I love it because I can make one or three at a time and not end up with an entire sheet of cookies to munch on... but I live by myself so its important not to have an entire plate of cookies :P

The chip chip hooray and Peanut, Paul and Mary are my favorites. I find it at Whole Foods or you can buy it online at GlutenFreeda.

YUMMY thank you both they sound woderful

I will ck whole foods and where can I purchase the flour mix??

Choc cookies look out!!!! :D

where can I purchase the flour mix??

The Pamela's you should be able to find it at Whole Foods, if you like it, I would suggest buying in bulk from amazon, it's much cheaper.

The Pamela's you should be able to find it at Whole Foods, if you like it, I would suggest buying in bulk from amazon, it's much cheaper.

Rachelle you seem to know alot about all of this stuff where to buy the best deals.. what is tastey etc...

I see from your profile it has been a few years for you has it taken that long to get it all or did you learn fast??

any insight in how to make this fun would be great....

thanks for all your replies over the last few days it is so appreciated..

wolfie Enthusiast

I also use Pamela's Baking mix. I used it the other day to make these spice muffins I found on a blog I read...OMG...they were amazing and didn't last long around here. Here is the link to the recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

I used Pamela's mix and only used about half of the xanthan gum b/c Pamela's has guar gum in it. I also omitted the salt b/c Pamela's has salt in it. I could not stop DS from eating these. I even fed some to a non-gluten-free friend and she loved them!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
I also use Pamela's Baking mix. I used it the other day to make these spice muffins I found on a blog I read...OMG...they were amazing and didn't last long around here. Here is the link to the recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

I used Pamela's mix and only used about half of the xanthan gum b/c Pamela's has guar gum in it. I also omitted the salt b/c Pamela's has salt in it. I could not stop DS from eating these. I even fed some to a non-gluten-free friend and she loved them!

Thanks for the web site...those muffins look great and so do the other recipes too! I will shut -up-and-eat those chocolate cupcakes, chicken fajitas, lemon cake.....

loco-ladi Contributor

If you are a "former fan" of chips-ahoy I suggest kinninikkinik (or however ya spell it) has some good tasting premade varieties,

As for Mixes to bake them yourself I love the "cause your special" brand of mixes, they are easy to whip up and taste good too. I buy mine online at Open Original Shared Link?

Their brownies are to die for, hubby doesn't want betty crocker no more ever he says these are so melt in your mouth delishhhhhhhciousssssss

Used their cake mix for my anniversary party last fall everyone was stunned they were eating a gluten-free cake.... and loving it!

Rachelle you seem to know alot about all of this stuff where to buy the best deals.. what is tastey etc...

I see from your profile it has been a few years for you has it taken that long to get it all or did you learn fast??

any insight in how to make this fun would be great....

thanks for all your replies over the last few days it is so appreciated..

I used to be an avid baker, pre-Celiac. After my dd was diagnosed, I bought a bunch of cookbooks and was totally scared off with the incredible list of ingredients needed to make a batch of muffins or cookies, and what if they didn't taste good, I would have spent 30$ on all the different flours to make 1 batch of crap. I stopped baking. I cooked a lot, just a lot of whole foods. I don't like recipes with 20 ingredients listed. 2 Christmas's ago (which used to be my favorite baking time of the year--constant baking for an entire month, up till midnight every night baking up a storm-LOVED it!) I thought this was rediculous, I wanted to bake, I always used the Pamela's for pancakes and waffles, I started following the recipes on the bag and the website and really liked what I was making. My biggest accomplishment that got me baking again was perfecting the chocolate chip cookie--I also was on a mission to use all of my "old" "regular" recipes and make them gluten-free. It took me about a month of trying different flours and different techniques to get the recipe right. I ended up going with the Pamela's and with the help of my friends here, was able to figure out why my cookies looked horrible (flat like a penny) but tasted great--I could eat them but I was embarrassed to feed them to anyone outside my home (thus the 5# I had to work off :rolleyes: ) I found the perfect fat to Pamela's ratio and never looked back. I am now back to being the baking fiend I once was. I really enjoy it, so that's why it's fun for me. I'm also a bargain shopper, so I'm always looking for the best deals I can find--when the Envirokids cereal goes on sale at Fred Meyer, I'm not embarrassed to say that I clean them out. I have 15 boxes in the pantry right now, they will last for a few months until they go on sale again. I WON'T pay 4-5$ for a box of cereal. Most of the time at home the kids get hot breakfasts anyway...I digress

Sorry, probably TMI, I'm a little chatty right now :D

Have a good evening everyone!

Archived