This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You May Already Know About The Mercury In Fillings...

mr. moore

mr. moore Explorer

but i would like to know the truth. has anyone here gotten relief from bad anxiety or depression or add after removing them?

here's two sources:

Open Original Shared Link

the first one is against it, the second one is neutral.

id like to here anyone who went to the dentist and had them changed to the white fillings, and actually stating their reason (which could be based on no scientific proof)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purple Community Regular

Here is a "must read" link about mercury:

Dylan, it lists many of the symptoms that you have already stated on other threads. How many amalgams do you have?

for those dealing with Candida, scroll to:

Mercury and Immune System Repression

Rachel--24 Collaborator

If you have fillings it could be a cause or a contributer to the symptoms you're experiencing. My own symptoms started immediately after 2 fillings were drilled out unsafely. Prior to that I was not sensitive to any foods or chemicals and was in good health (as far as I knew).

I did not get them removed because of health concerns and I wasnt aware of the dangers at the time. The dentist said they were deteriorating and so he drilled them out. Thats when I became sensitive to everything under the sun.

Because I knew that I was mercury toxic after this happened I then went to a biological dentist who removed my remaining 2 fillings... using all of the safety precautions.

The damage was already done but it was still important for me to eliminate a major source of continual exposure.

I'm working with doctors as far as detoxing the mercury that is still in my body.

If you are indeed having chemical sensitivities and reacting to the chemicals in food....I would think that mercury is a problem for you. Having fillings removed is something that noone should take lightly though. It has to be done properly so that you dont end up worse off.

Its also not going to be a miracle cure....but you would be eliminating the source of a major neurotoxin. If you DO have a heavy mercury load....removing the source is very important.

You may want to consult with a knowledgeable doctor and/or dentist about this.

Lisa Mentor

How do you test for mercury toxicity?

mr. moore Explorer
How do you test for mercury toxicity?

i think at a lab, from who i don't know. but everyone in my family is like opening their mouths and showing theres lol and there fine...a little crazy but i don't think they suffer like i do.

mr. moore Explorer
Here is a "must read" link about mercury:

Dylan, it lists many of the symptoms that you have already stated on other threads. How many amalgams do you have?

for those dealing with Candida, scroll to:

Mercury and Immune System Repression

THANK YOU.

you know what the biggest things i identified with, besides like moodiness and paranoia (which at this point my family thinks i have, i mean cmon, mercury in fillings? what's next, alien buthole probes? strange encounters with the ET kind?) but the metallic taste and the ringing in the ears.

BUT IM ONLY 19. does it effect certain people differently? ive had fillings since i was either 8 or 9 so ive had 10 years of mercury. 6 fillings i have are silver, only 2 are white.

this is the last thing i could do before i sign myself back into a crazy hospital for something as arbitrary as this. what doctor or dentist would believe me?!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
BUT IM ONLY 19. does it effect certain people differently? ive had fillings since i was either 8 or 9 so ive had 10 years of mercury. 6 fillings i have are silver, only 2 are white.

It does affect certain people differently. Genetics play a role in this. Also, being as young as you are you would have most likely been exposed to mercury from vaccinations. Another thing is that if your mom has fillings alot of her mercury burden would have been passed to you. 1/3 of the mother's mercury burden is passed to the fetus. The first born will get hit the hardest.

My mom had 11 fillings while she was pregant with me. She's not sick but I am.

I did not recieve many vaccines as a child (I'm older than you), I had 4 fillings since childhood and about a year prior to the onset of symptoms I had two vaccinations (both contained mercury). I still was not sick but I did develop thyroid problems. When two of my fillings got drilled out all heck broke loose and I lost my health.

Genetic testing reveals a susceptibilty to toxic exposures. Some people are more capable of excreting mercury.....I am not one of those people. You might not be one of those people either.

It comes down to what your body can handle and some people can be VERY affected by small exposures. We are all different. If you are someone who does not have a strong detoxification system....having constant exposure to mercury can significantly impair a system that was not strong to begin with. Thats where the genetics come in.

I went 31 years without having a problem and without these exposures I'd still be doing fine. I had more than my body could handle and thats when things went downhill.

Nowadays people have higher exposure at a younger age....mostly because of the vaccines.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
Nowadays people have higher exposure at a younger age....mostly because of the vaccines.

This is something that is been going around in my mind for some time now. Literally from the moment of conception, people are exposed to a toxic soup of chemical preservatives, artificial flavors and sweeteners, color dyes, and who knows what else. Read ingredient lists. While that stuff might be on the GRAS list, I can't help but wonder if any testing was done for exposure to everything all day every day for life, rather than in a controlled environment for one chemical at a time for a short time.

Add to the list exposure from conception to things like microwaves (ovens or cell phones or . . ) and fluorescent lighting. And mercury.

We were not created to handle that stuff. Some people can but many cannot.

I can't help but wonder if all the allergies and health issues we face today such as ADD and autism for example that were so very rare even half a century ago can be attributed to this environmental mess we have created for ourselves.

Just a thought.

purple Community Regular
This is something that is been going around in my mind for some time now. Literally from the moment of conception, people are exposed to a toxic soup of chemical preservatives, artificial flavors and sweeteners, color dyes, and who knows what else. Read ingredient lists. While that stuff might be on the GRAS list, I can't help but wonder if any testing was done for exposure to everything all day every day for life, rather than in a controlled environment for one chemical at a time for a short time.

Add to the list exposure from conception to things like microwaves (ovens or cell phones or . . ) and fluorescent lighting. And mercury.

I can't help but wonder if all the allergies and health issues we face today such as ADD and autism for example that were so very rare even half a century ago can be attributed to this environmental mess we have created for ourselves.

Just a thought.

I AGREE!

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I just happened to be at the dentist yesterday and they recommended that I have a large filling removed and replaced with a crown due to some problem with this older filling. Having had multiple dentists in my life, how would I know if there is a concern about mercury in those older fillings?

purple Community Regular

Dylan, I want to thank you for asking so many questions. It has helped me alot.

Here is what I just found, I was looking for something and this link states it:

(good to read if you can't drink milk)

you need to be a brainiac to read it but these are the sentences that stood out to me

near the top:

mercury and toxic metals block enzymes required to digest milk casein and wheat gluten

and near the bottom:

heavy metals deplete glutathione

My 20 yr old dd is gluten tolerant, didn't have the glutathione she needed so her osteopath gave her injections for that and I have a dozen amalgams which I have passed mercury to her (first born child) and she had her shots...stupid to have those.

It is starting to fit together now, thanks to Shays oil pulling thread, Rachels wisdom, your questions and everyone else's input. You all are so valuable to me and to others...thanks!

Here's another good one and its easier to read:

it says:

...methylmercury is credited with initiating degeneration and atrophy of the sensory cerebral cortex, parasthesia (numbness and tingling), autism, behavioral and emotional aberations as well as hearing and visual impairment.

You mentioned ringing ears and blurred vision plus emotional difficulties.

*For those dealing with candida the above site states this:

One of the natural aborbers of heavy metals is candida albicans. The body attracts yeast into the intestines to act as a natural sponge for the mercury.

(So those bad little bugs are good for something)

-also be sure to scroll to the "green letters" Bacteria and Yeast

Rachel--24 Collaborator
mercury and toxic metals block enzymes required to digest milk casein and wheat gluten

Yes, and we do have high incidence of gluten/casein intolerance now. The enzyme is DPPIV....its very sensitive to mercury. This is one reason why kids with autism do so much better on Gluten-free Casein-free....and many of them are able to go off this diet with the use of enzymes which are high in DPPIV (these are non-Celiac's of course).

and near the bottom:

heavy metals deplete glutathione

Alot of things that we are exposed to, along with heavy metals deplete glutathione. Chronic infections (such as Lyme) also deplete glutathione. Some people are missing genes that are involved in glutathione conjugation. I'm missing one of the genes...so right freom the start I'm gonna have a harder time with detoxification than someone who has this gene.

All by itself this wouldnt be a big issue.....it only becomes a problem because of the substantial amount of toxins in the environment, food, water, fillings, vaccines, etc. Eventually it catches up to us (maybe not all of us.....but definately alot of people are affected).

Also, I made an error in my earlier post because I believe its actually 2/3 of the mother's mercury burden that is passed on to the fetus (not 1/3). Mercury is also excreted through breast milk.

I'm not against vaccinating but I dont think its necessary to have so many toxins in these vaccines and I dont think its necessary to have so many of them.

Every doctor that I've seen has said that if I had the amount of exposure that kids are having today back when I was a child...I would have undoubtedly been Autistic. According to my mom I only had maybe 2 or 3 vaccines and they were not given at one time.

I have the genetic susceptibility but I did not have excessive exposure as a child. When I was young the kids didnt have all of the allergies we see today, I had never heard of ADD or Autism back then.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I just happened to be at the dentist yesterday and they recommended that I have a large filling removed and replaced with a crown due to some problem with this older filling. Having had multiple dentists in my life, how would I know if there is a concern about mercury in those older fillings?

There's always a concern about mercury with the fillings. The fillings leak mercury....nobody knows how much mercury they are going to be able to handle. They have never been able to establish a "safe" amount of mercury for a human being. The amount considered to be safe is 0. We werent designed for constant exposure to mercury.

The biggest concerns would be getting the filling removed safely. This means dont let your regular dentist do the work. Find a biological dentist who follows the correct procedure for safe removal. Learn what that procedure entails and dont take anyones word for it. Thats the most important thing about having a filling removed in my opinion.

Second, dont replace the filling with a gold crown or any other metal if you still have mercury fillings in your mouth. Dissimilar metals should not be placed in the same mouth. This creates a battery-like reaction between the metals (galvanic reaction) which results in higher release of mercury vapor. It pulls mercury and other metals from the fillings at a rapid rate.

My dentist did not remove my fillings safely and he replaced with gold crowns....this is how I got sick.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Just a thought.

HBM,

YES to everything you wrote.

mr. moore Explorer

someone at a health food store mentioned cilantro and how though youd need a lot, it helps get rid of mercury. im just not sure if there's any point before getting the fillings out, but i need to stress that all i need is to experience TEMPORARY RELIEF.

rachel about what you said, my mom has about as much fillings as your moms probably, its like her mouth is half metal. im surprised she is not autistic. but im born with all that in me, is that impossible to get out? the inborn mercury? is it part of my dna, or can it come out like the mercury in my teeth?

im thinking of chugging a bottle of cilantro, unless its real spicy B)

mr. moore Explorer

ok guys,im offically ready. im so embarressed about the ridiculous stuff ive been through but now i know what's been wrong with me. ok tomorrow im going to this health food store elsewhere and im (well im prolly gonna see if a dentist is open, i highly doubt it, those mercury liars) im gonna buy this stuff i saw on that website posted called: DMSA and NAC, Milk Thistle, Cilantro.

this is the last odd ball goofy theory that im backing up. i just, again, want some temporary relief. anyone can pm but don't warn me because ive had enough of THAT lol.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
im gonna buy this stuff i saw on that website posted called: DMSA and NAC, Milk Thistle, Cilantro.

this is the last odd ball goofy theory that im backing up. i just, again, want some temporary relief. anyone can pm but don't warn me because ive had enough of THAT lol.

I am going to warn you because it could be very dangerous for you to start taking these things. I never did this because if you start really researching this stuff you will understand how much damage can be done if you are trying to do this on your own.

These supplements are probably NOT going to give you temporay relief (it just doesnt work that way) and you will likely feel much worse.

You should not start taking a bunch of cilantro because it mobilizes mercury but is not effective at removing it all by itself. Also, it crosses the blood brain barrier which is not something you want to be doing right now.

Mercury isnt something that you mess around with. These things may work well for someone who is NOT sick....but once you are having symptoms anything you do on your own could end up making you alot worse.

If you read up on this stuff you will notice that it is not recommended that anyone try to detox mercury on their own.

DMSA, NAC and cilantro is a bad idea. I would not play around with them. I'm working with doctors and NAC is not something that I'm taking. I took DMSA only for a very short time (under the care of a doctor) and I had to stop taking it because it was not the right treatment for me.

Again, dont just read stuff on a website and assume that you will feel better by doing this. Its very dangerous. I would suggest doing alot more research, trying the Failsafe diet (this is much more likely to give you some relief) and making an appt. with a knowledgeable doctor (or dentist).

purple Community Regular
I am going to warn you because it could be very dangerous for you to start taking these things. I never did this because if you start really researching this stuff you will understand how much damage can be done if you are trying to do this on your own.

These supplements are probably NOT going to give you temporay relief (it just doesnt work that way) and you will likely feel much worse.

You should not start taking a bunch of cilantro because it mobilizes mercury but is not effective at removing it all by itself. Also, it crosses the blood brain barrier which is not something you want to be doing right now.

Mercury isnt something that you mess around with. These things may work well for someone who is NOT sick....but once you are having symptoms anything you do on your own could end up making you alot worse.

If you read up on this stuff you will notice that it is not recommended that anyone try to detox mercury on their own.

DMSA, NAC and cilantro is a bad idea. I would not play around with them. I'm working with doctors and NAC is not something that I'm taking. I took DMSA only for a very short time (under the care of a doctor) and I had to stop taking it because it was not the right treatment for me.

Again, dont just read stuff on a website and assume that you will feel better by doing this. Its very dangerous. I would suggest doing alot more research, trying the Failsafe diet (this is much more likely to give you some relief) and making an appt. with a knowledgeable doctor (or dentist).

I agree with Rachel. I want my fillings out before I try anything else. I know of a good osteopath that can remove them but I don't have the money to have it done.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
someone at a health food store mentioned cilantro and how though youd need a lot, it helps get rid of mercury.

This person is not informed. Its like the uninformed person at the health food store telling the Celiac customer that he/she can eat spelt. They are not informed and they are giving bad advice which could be very harmful.

Do not take anyones word for anything....do some good research before making rash decisions that could worsen your situation.

im just not sure if there's any point before getting the fillings out, but i need to stress that all i need is to experience TEMPORARY RELIEF.

Try the Failsafe diet....no processed foods.

rachel about what you said, my mom has about as much fillings as your moms probably, its like her mouth is half metal. im surprised she is not autistic. but im born with all that in me, is that impossible to get out? the inborn mercury? is it part of my dna, or can it come out like the mercury in my teeth?

Any mercury that is stored in your body can come out with the proper treatment. Autistic kids who were not able to excrete mercury at all have been able to dump massive amounts of it with the proper treatment (knowledgeable doctor).

They do not get the mercury out by taking some NAC or drinking a bottle of cilantro. Unfortunately, its not that easy. You do things one step at a time. The first step would be cleaning up your diet.

I could not make rational decisions until I was on the diet and thinking much more clearly.

im thinking of chugging a bottle of cilantro, unless its real spicy B)

This could mess you up bigtime....dont do it.

purple Community Regular
ok guys,im offically ready. im so embarressed about the ridiculous stuff ive been through but now i know what's been wrong with me. ok tomorrow im going to this health food store elsewhere and im (well im prolly gonna see if a dentist is open, i highly doubt it, those mercury liars) im gonna buy this stuff i saw on that website posted called: DMSA and NAC, Milk Thistle, Cilantro.

Please read this link on mercury detox, then research alot more about it before doing anything!

mr. moore Explorer

well if what i think is true, im so f'd up there's nothing that can further that, but i will come back later and report. i did try that diet and i just felt more tired, im sure that will help too. but it seems most of my problems won't go away until all this poison has left my body. here's what i figure: my teeth release enormous amounts of mercury every day and it builds up, well if i can take something that TEMPORARILLY cleanses and lets me think clearly for a day, i will not only be a born again believer in god, but ill try every stupid diet in the book and probably become a doctor. but PLEASE let me experiment i don't want you people to worry?!

mr. moore Explorer

sorry if i was mean...

Rachel--24 Collaborator
well if what i think is true, im so f'd up there's nothing that can further that, but i will come back later and report. i did try that diet and i just felt more tired, im sure that will help too. but it seems most of my problems won't go away until all this poison has left my body. here's what i figure: my teeth release enormous amounts of mercury every day and it builds up, well if i can take something that TEMPORARILLY cleanses and lets me think clearly for a day, i will not only be a born again believer in god, but ill try every stupid diet in the book and probably become a doctor. but PLEASE let me experiment i don't want you people to worry?!

The thing that you are not understanding is that there is a REASON why all of this poison has accumulated in your body. You are not able to detox very well. By taking this stuff you will possibly be mobilizing mercury so that it is moving around your body (causing more damage) and not actually leaving your body.

If you were able to excrete mercury efficiently.....you wouldnt have become toxic (assuming that you are). This is why you shouldnt attempt to get rid of it on your own. Some of those things that you are wanting to try PULL mercury from where it is stored. If you already have mercury floating around (from the fillings) you would be ADDING to that by pulling more mercury into your system.

Not a smart thing to do right now....I gotta tell you that.

If you wanna absorb some of the mercury thats in your system take something like activated charcoal....or maybe try a little chlorella. Those things wont PULL more mercury into your system. They do not mobilize mercury and I would definately not recommend that you take anything that would mobilize mercury at this point.

The stuff you wanna take doesnt "cleanse" you......they contain sulfur compounds which are capable of moving mercury around but do not have everything that is needed to get the mercury safely out of your body. For example they can pick mercury up....move it around and then DROP it. Once its loose in your system if the body cant get rid of it...it will be redistributed. It can end up getting moved into your brain when it may have been stored in a much safer area before it was mobilized.

Trying the diet for a day isnt giving your body enough time to get rid of the toxins that it CAN get rid of. I felt worse for a few days before I started to feel better.

Mercury is not easy for the body to deal with. If you're already loaded up from chemicals....trying to get the mercury out is gonna be pretty darn rough. You are going about it backwards. Clean up the diet first. It takes more than a day.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
sorry if i was mean...

I didnt take it that way at all.

I think you are just looking for an easy way to feel better right now. Honestly, in my opinion the easiest way for you to feel better is to stop taking in more toxins/chemicals. You will feel better avoiding the foods that are adding to your burden.

I still have the mercury issue......if it were so easy to get it out...it wouldnt still be there.

I didnt improve because I got rid of mercury. I had dramatic improvement because I reduced my exposure to ADDITIONAL toxins as much as I possibly could. If I was eating processed food everyday I would be a complete toxic mess. OK....I'm still a toxic mess but I feel pretty darn GOOD considering.

mr. moore Explorer
The thing that you are not understanding is that there is a REASON why all of this poison has accumulated in your body. You are not able to detox very well. By taking this stuff you will possibly be mobilizing mercury so that it is moving around your body (causing more damage) and not actually leaving your body.

If you were able to excrete mercury efficiently.....you wouldnt have become toxic (assuming that you are). This is why you shouldnt attempt to get rid of it on your own. Some of those things that you are wanting to try PULL mercury from where it is stored. If you already have mercury floating around (from the fillings) you would be ADDING to that by pulling more mercury into your system.

Not a smart thing to do right now....I gotta tell you that.

If you wanna absorb some of the mercury thats in your system take something like activated charcoal....or maybe try a little chlorella. Those things wont PULL more mercury into your system. They do not mobilize mercury and I would definately not recommend that you take anything that would mobilize mercury at this point.

The stuff you wanna take doesnt "cleanse" you......they contain sulfur compounds which are capable of moving mercury around but do not have everything that is needed to get the mercury safely out of your body. For example they can pick mercury up....move it around and then DROP it. Once its loose in your system if the body cant get rid of it...it will be redistributed. It can end up getting moved into your brain when it may have been stored in a much safer area before it was mobilized.

Trying the diet for a day isnt giving your body enough time to get rid of the toxins that it CAN get rid of. I felt worse for a few days before I started to feel better.

Mercury is not easy for the body to deal with. If you're already loaded up from chemicals....trying to get the mercury out is gonna be pretty darn rough. You are going about it backwards. Clean up the diet first. It takes more than a day.

well if it moves the mercury away from my brain then that's good right? i'd rather be chubby or have a rash and be able to process things sanely then have a bunch of crap in my brain. and what were those links for? if i go out and buy one of those heavy duty heavy metal detox things, knowing it might A) not work B) give me some reliefe or C) move the mercury and drop it elsewhere, it still seems more beneficial then letting it just STAY there. you know what i mean? unless mercury that moves even in your body heats up, in which case i read it releases more. but that goes back to the whole "thank god it's away from my brain" thing. i dunno. im reading and watching this thing on youtube where it shows mercury as a shadow in front of a green background. crazy stuff!

Archived