lkonya

Tryptophan, Sleep, Neuropathy & Severe Depression

Rate this topic

Hello everyone,

I am post diagnosis one year and have had major trouble sleeping and resting and also fighting extreme depression. Many nights lie awake and cannot sleep. At the same time of not sleeping, I have been experiencing major neuropathy in my feet, legs, and hands. I did some research on line only to discover Tryptophan. The Tryptophan I take before I go to bed at night (1,000 mg), and then I take 500mg in the morning ALL on an empty stomach. What the Tryptophan does is help to allow you to sleep BUT it also increases the serotonin level in your brain which relieves insomnia and depression. YOU CANNOT TAKE THIS SUPPLEMENT if you are taking any SSRI's or Anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. Also check with your Dr or Pharmacist before taking anything like this, but I must say this supplement has been a God send for me as now I sleep and sleep all night, and I am no longer extremely depressed or depressed at all for that matter. Which I am now a much nicer person to be around again. This was a powerful experience for me taking this supplement as I feel it changed my life around. I no longer am experience the neuropathy either, so it has helped with my sleeping, my depression, and my neuropathy. I feel so much better as I am much more focused now and staying on task. This has been truly an amazing thing. Think it is great!

Ikonya-

That's wonderful to hear, and thanks for the tip! It can be SO hard to find a remedy for insomnia -- it's great to hear you found one that works for you. Do you experience any side effects from the Tryptophan? Do you think that the quality of sleep you get from it is good?

best,

Emily

Hello everyone,

I am post diagnosis one year and have had major trouble sleeping and resting and also fighting extreme depression. Many nights lie awake and cannot sleep. At the same time of not sleeping, I have been experiencing major neuropathy in my feet, legs, and hands. I did some research on line only to discover Tryptophan. The Tryptophan I take before I go to bed at night (1,000 mg), and then I take 500mg in the morning ALL on an empty stomach. What the Tryptophan does is help to allow you to sleep BUT it also increases the serotonin level in your brain which relieves insomnia and depression. YOU CANNOT TAKE THIS SUPPLEMENT if you are taking any SSRI's or Anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. Also check with your Dr or Pharmacist before taking anything like this, but I must say this supplement has been a God send for me as now I sleep and sleep all night, and I am no longer extremely depressed or depressed at all for that matter. Which I am now a much nicer person to be around again. This was a powerful experience for me taking this supplement as I feel it changed my life around. I no longer am experience the neuropathy either, so it has helped with my sleeping, my depression, and my neuropathy. I feel so much better as I am much more focused now and staying on task. This has been truly an amazing thing. Think it is great!

Thank you Ikonya!

I've been researching Tryptophan for the past couple of days on your lead.

My sleep has gotten worse and worse since going gluten-free 5 months ago, which leads to much more severe fatigue, fogginess, joint issues, etc. during the daytime.

Would very much appreciate a bit more information from you or anyone else supplementing with Tryptophan....

How long have you been supplementing with Tryptophan?

How long did the Tryptophan take to improve your sleep?

Has your dosage been consistent - 1000mg at night and 500mg in the morning?

Did you have any side effects when you began taking Tryptophan?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I'd love to give trytophan a try but I read the side effects and they sound pretty bad. I react to so many supplements that even my doctor is leery of me trying new ones. A lot of side effects I get aren't even listed as possible side effects for some of them. My doctor is hoping once I get my gut straightened out that these sensitivites will go away.

Ikonya-

That's wonderful to hear, and thanks for the tip! It can be SO hard to find a remedy for insomnia -- it's great to hear you found one that works for you. Do you experience any side effects from the Tryptophan? Do you think that the quality of sleep you get from it is good?

best,

Emily

HEY!! been taking Omega 3's for anxiety years and years of trying SSRI's BEFORE they figured out that they dont go w triptans for headaches..( told me I was just anxious) so the circle goes... Omega 3's!!!! cant take trypto phan and ssri's bad bad thing.. read up on depression + omega 3's tried melatonin.. is Ok.. but still working on it.. love the Omegas, no depression no anxiety.. if that's the placebo effect then I can live w that..

I'm going to talk to my doctor about tryptophan as I am back to getting very little sleep and barely functioning. I'd love to try Omega 3s but have fish and flax intolerances. Bummer! I've heard they work for lots of people.