willabec

Celiac Disease And Ibs?

Rate this topic

does anyone out there know if you can have Celiac Disease as well as IBS???

There has been much discussion on here about IBS ("I Be Stumped") and whether or not it is a real diagnosis.

Here is an excerpt from one study done on irritable bowel syndrome:

"Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of the gastrointestinal tract characterized by recurrent episodes of abdominal pain or discomfort along with changes in frequency or consistency of the stool in the absence of an organic etiology.

In conclusion, the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is currently based on symptomatic criteria that exclude other conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract, such as celiac disease, food allergies, and infections. "

Applying Case Definition Criteria to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Steven H. Yale, MD, A. Kenneth Musana, MD, Amy Kieke, PhD, Jennifer Hayes, MS, Ingrid Glurich, PhD and Po-Huang Chyou, PhD (2008)

This would seem to answer your question with a "no". However, it is just one study.

Hi there,

I must disagree.

I'm celiac with loads of problems (see other post) but havent got the IBS, however, my sister whos also celiac did get the diagnosis IBS.

/Karl

There has been much discussion on here about IBS ("I Be Stumped") and whether or not it is a real diagnosis.

Here is an excerpt from one study done on irritable bowel syndrome:

"Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of the gastrointestinal tract characterized by recurrent episodes of abdominal pain or discomfort along with changes in frequency or consistency of the stool in the absence of an organic etiology.

In conclusion, the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is currently based on symptomatic criteria that exclude other conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract, such as celiac disease, food allergies, and infections. "

Applying Case Definition Criteria to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Steven H. Yale, MD, A. Kenneth Musana, MD, Amy Kieke, PhD, Jennifer Hayes, MS, Ingrid Glurich, PhD and Po-Huang Chyou, PhD (2008)

This would seem to answer your question with a "no". However, it is just one study.

Most celiacs and gluten intolerants who have gastrointestinal problems have, at some point, been diagnosed with IBS. The question is whether or not this diagnosis means anything;

Well it seems to me this questions can be answered by looking at your symptoms. I know when I get

Chalk me up as another with a diagnosis of IBS before Celiac.

I agree wholeheartedly; when I get glutened, my gastro symptoms would be the textbook definition of "IBS". I put this acronym in quotes because I think that it is an umbrella term - I wish the doctor that had diagnosed me with IBS at five years old would have dug a little deeper and found celiac. Instead, I had to suffer until I was 21.