This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Response From Knorr

kenlove

kenlove Rising Star

------------------

Hello Ken,

Thanks for writing!

We apologize that we are unable to provide you with a list of gluten free products.

Because our products are formulated for use by the majority of our consumers, and not specifically for those on restricted diets, it is possible our product formulations may change at any time. As a result, we cannot provide a list due to several factors:

- Lists of this type reflect products as formulated at a specific time

- It is possible that more products/varieties may have been added

- More important, changes in existing products may have occurred

Ingredients that may contain any of the top eight allergens as defined by FDA are:

Milk, Eggs, Fish, Shellfish & Crustacean, Wheat, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sesame Seeds, and Sulfites.

We make every effort to stay informed about any additional ingredients that could be considered common allergens. Whenever possible, we try to avoid using materials that could be considered to be commonly allergenic, so that potential allergens are not included in categories such as "Natural Flavors."

We suggest reading all ingredient labels carefully. If you cannot determine whether or not the product contains the ingredient in question, or if you feel uncomfortable about the ingredients used in our products, it is our recommendation that you do not use them.

We hope this information is helpful.

Your friends at Knorr

[THREAD ID:1-7QYZQB]

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Personally since they dont' acknowledge gluten but only the 8 major allergens I would not trust this product. Gluten is more than wheat and it seems some companies just ignore that fact and this seems to be one of them.

psawyer Proficient

The message is not as clearly articulated as it could be. However, Knorr is a Unilever brand and their policy is to clearly disclose gluten sources by name if they are present.

After listing the FDA eight, the following words appear: "any additional ingredients that could be considered common allergens"--this refers to barley, rye, and oats which are beyond the FDA list.

kenlove Rising Star

Your right Peter that the message is not as clear as it could/shoudl be.

I've never seen a product with the -_Additional INgredients marked - Unilever or other.

Nice idea though. I've not had toruble with some Knorr products when they were part of CPC Best foods prior to Unilever but recently i've felt a little uncomfoprtable after using some. Nothing serious yet but enough to make me keep clear of bullion and dip type mixes.

The message is not as clearly articulated as it could be. However, Knorr is a Unilever brand and their policy is to clearly disclose gluten sources by name if they are present.

After listing the FDA eight, the following words appear: "any additional ingredients that could be considered common allergens"--this refers to barley, rye, and oats which are beyond the FDA list.

kenlove Rising Star

It also bothers me that some of the health food products here in Hawaii , from small producers, will not list wheat as an allergen but list spelt or kamut on the ingrdients list..

I've written a lot of letters! Screamed at some poor woman at a farmers market insiting that spelt was not wheat and GLuten Free.

Sometimes its a constant battle..

Personally since they dont' acknowledge gluten but only the 8 major allergens I would not trust this product. Gluten is more than wheat and it seems some companies just ignore that fact and this seems to be one of them.
Alphawave Rookie

I am glad for that information, as well. I see by your postings, that you are type1 diabetic, as I am. Just adds to the fun, doesn't it?

kenlove Rising Star

Sure does -- turns one into a juggler of sorts.

Felt like some yoghurt today - do I want the nofat with 27g of carbs

or the 12 g fat grams and 7g carbs..

always a choice get fatter or blood glucose.

I am glad for that information, as well. I see by your postings, that you are type1 diabetic, as I am. Just adds to the fun, doesn't it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I have found that following the gluten-free diet has helped me maintain better control of my blood sugar. Since most fast foods are out of the question, I have to plan my food intake in advance, and find that I am much less likely to overeat.

My type 1 diabetes is now controlled by a combination of Lantus and Humalog, which has given me back a lot of freedom from the old regime. Lantus provides a flat basal insulin level over a 24 hour period, and is taken once a day. I take it before going to bed. Humalog is a rapid onset and short term insulin taken with meals, with the dose adapted to immediate sugar levels and the carb content of the meal. I can eat meals with varying carb content, and eat them when it fits my schedule.

gluten-kills Newbie

ok, i know that i am again new to this forum but i am not new i have just signed up again, and on this topic i have a question... didnt the labeling laws change a year ago August in our favor that things had to be labeled gluten free if they are?

Lauren

kenlove Rising Star

I've been resisting the insulin for sometime now and jsut take a glipizide in teh am and pm but also drink juice made from bitter gourds which keeps my levels way below what they were. Its a constant but every improving battle to keep the level under 100.

I also find being gluten free helps a lot although I stil ltend to eat too much.

I have found that following the gluten-free diet has helped me maintain better control of my blood sugar. Since most fast foods are out of the question, I have to plan my food intake in advance, and find that I am much less likely to overeat.

My type 1 diabetes is now controlled by a combination of Lantus and Humalog, which has given me back a lot of freedom from the old regime. Lantus provides a flat basal insulin level over a 24 hour period, and is taken once a day. I take it before going to bed. Humalog is a rapid onset and short term insulin taken with meals, with the dose adapted to immediate sugar levels and the carb content of the meal. I can eat meals with varying carb content, and eat them when it fits my schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
freeatlast Collaborator

Kenlove, hi. I can answer this one. Steer clear of Knorr if you have MSG sensitivity b/c their products are LOADED with MSG.

kenlove Rising Star

Its too bad - used to love the VEGGie dip mix --

Kenlove, hi. I can answer this one. Steer clear of Knorr if you have MSG sensitivity b/c their products are LOADED with MSG.

Archived