Becci

Any Small, Cheap gluten-free Thanksgiving Recipes For One?

Rate this topic

Well, I have posted this once before... But I don't think I did it right.

I need cheap to make recipes/boxed food to make for Thanksgiving. Everything at my family's TG will contain gluten, so I need to make something that I can eat, and still feel like I am eating a TG dinner.

Any ideas?

I am already making gluten-free oatmeal raisen cookies, and possibly a gluten-free apple crisp.

Turkey breast in a crockpot covered with bacon and oranges. Or brine it and bake it.

Sweet potatoes

mashed 'taters

green beans with toasted almond slivers

gravy using cornstarch and arrow root flour

What would you like to eat?

Individual cornish hen

Mashed potatoes from scratch (potatoes, milk, butter, salt and pepper)

Green beans

Gravy made with cornstarch

Cranberry relish (cranberries, orange, sugar - recipe on back of cranberry bag)

You could make a small batch of corn bread for a roll/biscuit, and then use the rest to make stuffing...cornbread, butter, broth, veggies.

Good luck!

Since I posted this, I have been doing a little looking around.

So far, I have this:

Main: Cornish Hen / Small Turkey Breast

Side: Mashed Potatoes and Gravy (home made or gluten-free version from the WFmarket)

Dessert: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and this...

Frozen Cranberries thawed

Fresh apples sliced

Possibly another fruit/strawberries?

A touch of corn syrup with brown sugar and cinnamon

Topped with gluten free flour mix, or left alone and baked...

Sound good?

Anyone know where to find a box of Gluten-Free stuffing mix that doesn't cost a fortune?

I make this for my daughter and myself. It's enough for two so there would be leftovers. Start with a can of turkey, including the broth. Dump it in a pan (I use a large, deep, skillet). Add a spoonful or two of sweet rice flour (depending on how thick you like your gravy). Heat through, stirring. Serve over mashed potatoes.

For my husband, I do turkey legs either in the oven or in the crockpot. He really likes those.

Another thing that I have done in the past is to make turkey rollups. We weren't gluten-free then but it would be easy enough to make that way.

Start with some purchased turkey cut in thick slices. Put some prepared stuffing in the middle and roll up. Put the slices in a baking dish, cover with gravy and heat through.

If you can do tapioca, there's glutenfree tapioca stuffing on the market at the moment. That, a glutenfree gravy, some mashed potatoes (or yams), cranberry sauce, and some sliced turkey (if you have a trustworthy deli ask your butcher to cut you a couple thick slices of turkey breast) work great. Maybe some mixed vegetables too.

For dessert there are lots of possibilities at trader joe's and whole foods among others.