This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To This

iffy

iffy Rookie

I've been slow to connect the dots, but this site has been extraordinarily helpful. I've never had

the pain, bloating or multiple other symptoms that celiacs have, but I get diarrhea without warning

and sometimes with little control. I've had this to some degree for ten years.

I have a diagnosed hiatal hernia with acid reflux - this year I had severe heartburn that lasted two weeks, scared me and I had an upper GI that showed no change in five years. Dr. gave me Protonix that made no difference at all, diet control was what helped. I had started to suspect gluten, and after reading a lot on celiac, realized that it wasn't the usual suspects that gave me heartburn, but the little wheat crackers I love, biscotti, (and over-eating). I tried adding psyllium husk, seemed to help, but this week I'm starting strict gluten-free to try to sort it all out. I had thought I had IBS, but now I'm sure it's the gluten. There's a genetic component too, I think, my mother claimed she had colitis, had the diarrhea and I don't know what else.

I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease this year (non-hodgkins lymphoma), it's not

symptomatic and I'm not being treated. I'm 74, never had allergies, so it was a shock, all this,

I thought celiacs were born with the condition.

Activia yogurt helped me, and I'm thinking of adding a proteolytic enzyme, serrapeptase, after

the gluten-free trial.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and for this fantastic forum!

iffy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
I've been slow to connect the dots, but this site has been extraordinarily helpful. I've never had

the pain, bloating or multiple other symptoms that celiacs have, but I get diarrhea without warning

and sometimes with little control. I've had this to some degree for ten years.

I have a diagnosed hiatal hernia with acid reflux - this year I had severe heartburn that lasted two weeks, scared me and I had an upper GI that showed no change in five years. Dr. gave me Protonix that made no difference at all, diet control was what helped. I had started to suspect gluten, and after reading a lot on celiac, realized that it wasn't the usual suspects that gave me heartburn, but the little wheat crackers I love, biscotti, (and over-eating). I tried adding psyllium husk, seemed to help, but this week I'm starting strict gluten-free to try to sort it all out. I had thought I had IBS, but now I'm sure it's the gluten. There's a genetic component too, I think, my mother claimed she had colitis, had the diarrhea and I don't know what else.

I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease this year (non-hodgkins lymphoma), it's not

symptomatic and I'm not being treated. I'm 74, never had allergies, so it was a shock, all this,

I thought celiacs were born with the condition.

Activia yogurt helped me, and I'm thinking of adding a proteolytic enzyme, serrapeptase, after

the gluten-free trial.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and for this fantastic forum!

iffy

Hi Iffy,

Welcome to the forum!

Many people don't get celiac until they are older. The gene potential is there for life, but often does not show itself unless sufficient stress triggers the response. Once you have it however you have it for life.

In addition, one can have celiac and not know it for quite some time.

Untreated celiac can easily trigger other auto immune diseases, so I agree--with this non Hodgkins lymphoma it would be wise to go off all gluten, including trace gluten (toasters, wooden cutting boards and utinsels used previously for glutenous foods etc. etc. as well as minute amounts in toothpaste, shampoo, soaps, from shaking other people's hands, Fix-all, glues etc. etc.). There is a list here on celiac.com that tells you about trace gluten found in a variety of foods...

Chronic diarrhea by the way is classically indicative of celiac.

Of course with celiac often comes leaky gut and thus many other food intolerances, esp. to milk (esp. at first) except plain yogurt (though some still can't handle it--its better for me if I make it myself and let it ferment for 24 hours to get rid of all the lactose). Consider using plain stevia as a sweetener.

The protealytic enzymes are great for helping heal the lining of the intestines (as well as any other scar tissue you might have).

You might be greatly helped by taking cinnamon tea fairly regularly against the diarrhea. Occasional carob tea is also nice. Again use stevia as a sweetner. Berry leaf tea also works (like blackberry or raspberry).

I also like to use fresh ground up flax seed with a quarter of a teaspoon of apple pectin as bulking agents. The flax seed gives you much needed omega 3's. Recently I have added a teaspoon of marshmallow root powder (soothing and healing, it helps take down intestinal inflammation).

If you reduce your reliance on grains in general and eat more vegetables you may notice a real health boost. Recently I have taken to blending vegetables once a day--it really gives me a lot more energy as well as enzymes etc. Good against things like lymphoma as well as very good for the intestines etc. I then have my regular cooked vegetables or salad later in the day... Am not suggesting vegetarianism by the way... Those with celiac often do better eating some meat each day.

Am glad you found this forum. There really is a lot of info and support here you probably won't get elsewhere. Good luck!

Bea

iffy Rookie

Thanks!! Wonderful advice, helps motivate me to keep on track, even with the holiday

season coming up.

I have low thyroid, too, diagnosed when I was a kid, I used to fall asleep at the table

listening to the radio, and get hauled off to bed.

Iffy

YoloGx Rookie
Thanks!! Wonderful advice, helps motivate me to keep on track, even with the holiday

season coming up.

I have low thyroid, too, diagnosed when I was a kid, I used to fall asleep at the table

listening to the radio, and get hauled off to bed.

Iffy

Low thyroid often goes together with celiac. My mother and my boyfriend both have both so to speak. Herbs can help but usually don't do the whole thing.

glad to help meanwhile. I need to get motivated to write my book on all this actually...

Yes holidays are hard. However there are an awful lot of gluten-free recipes out there if you look--just google your hearts desire. soon I will post a great low glycemic no lactose pumpkin pie recipe with a simple rice crust. Mush rush off now however... Best advice I can give is to just eat what you make from scratch or make sure whatever is made out there for you in a completely gluten-free kitchen.

Bea

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Iffy,

Celiac can show up at any age. The advice to follow a simple whole foods diet is good. It is easier to eliminate hidden gluten sources if you don't eat processed foods. Things to avoid would be any processed foods like boxes of this and cans of that etc. You can start with rice and frozen or fresh veggies. If you use frozen veggies check the label and get a package that has just the veggies, not a whole bunch of other ingredients. Maybe some meat like chicken or hamburger etc. Remember that everything counts in celiac. So your vitamins, your sodas, beer, candy, medicines all need to be gluten free. Eliminating processed foods can save you a lot of time reading labels in the store.

Another thing that helps people is liquid B-12, and sometimes an extra Vitamin D pill. Celiacs are often low on vitamins due to malabsorption.

So, steer clear of wheat, rye, barley, oats, and dairy for a while. Celiacs often have problems with dairy at first. Although some never get past it.

This diet can be an easy thing to follow if you keep your diet simple. When you decide to add something new to your diet, add only one new thing every other day. That way you can more easily identify food reactions if they occur.

Welcome to the health eating world of celiacs! :D

YoloGx Rookie

Good advice, though be careful of the hamburger. Sometimes it has gluten in it. Check to make sure they put in no extenders...

Bea

Archived