3 3
Diva1

Cheese Slices

Rate this topic

I have kraft single slices and although the kraft site says is it absoluttly safe to eat them Gluetn free..well i'm up with sore belly that feels like gluten..anyone out there have similar experience..maybe its the lactose in the cheese..i do well will hard cheeses?????

thanks for listening.

DIva :(

You very well may have an issue with lactose, Kraft singles are for sure gluten-free. What else did you eat that day and also look at what you have eaten over the last 3 days to see if gluten sneaked in. Sometimes the gluten reaction can be delayed which can make it hard to figure out what got us. I hope your feeling better soon.

I also have to mention that I really like your avatar. I had a Westie for a few years that we got at a shelter. He was a wonderful big dog in a little dog body who would even open his own Christmas presents. He would sit patiently tail wagging until he had his given to him. Thanks for the warm memory.

On 1/13/2010 at 11:10 PM, Diva1 said:

I have kraft single slices and although the kraft site says is it absoluttly safe to eat them Gluetn free..well i'm up with sore belly that feels like gluten..anyone out there have similar experience..maybe its the lactose in the cheese..i do well will hard cheeses?????

thanks for listening.

DIva :(

We are NEW  to this lifestyle. Our 17 year old continues to get sick. We are learning when she is gluten free she does better.  Today,  she ate kraft slice cheese and is showing gluten reactions. Just trying to figure this all out 

1 minute ago, Rkbrown said:

We are NEW  to this lifestyle. Our 17 year old continues to get sick. We are learning when she is gluten free she does better.  Today,  she ate kraft slice cheese and is showing gluten reactions. Just trying to figure this all out 

Never had an issue with Kraft cheeses.  Maybe she shouldn't eat diary for a while?  Celiac disease damages the part of the intestines that digest the lactose in cheese/dairy.  It can take several months to get that ability back.

Also, when you are  new, it really could be anything.  It could just be that she isn't  digesting much of anything well.  It could be another food you are eating with the cheese or 2 hours before the cheese.  There is a learning curve to eating and preparing food gluten free.  

Edited by kareng

Great answer from Kareng.  Eat safely and unprocessed for about a month or so and add processed or dairy food items one at a time.   I was fortunate, my children do not have any Celiac symptoms.  I'm sure it's hard on a teenager.

Also, please take note on dates of threads.  This one if fairly generic, but other posts from 2010 may have out of date information.

8 hours ago, Rkbrown said:

We are NEW  to this lifestyle. Our 17 year old continues to get sick. We are learning when she is gluten free she does better. 

If you haven't had her tested yet please do not go gluten free. Get the celiac testing first as if she does feel better gluten free when she has to go back on gluten for testing she may have much worse symptoms.  There will also be a higher risk of false negatives.

Kraft singles have whey protein which may not be gluten free

Edited by Marlee1974
Wrong ingredient

Whey is derived from milk, and is gluten-free. It is casein, i.e. dairy protein.

With celiacs due to damage to the villi many develop issues with lactose and some have issues with whey and casein (Then enzymes to break them down are created by the villi) . These can cause bloating, diarrhea, constipation, or general distress to your digestive system if you have issues with them (I also have my autism flare up with dairy).  If you find you have issues with dairy remove them. We normally suggest removing dairy for a few months then trying again if you wish after some healing. In the mean time Daiya makes some nice slices, bricks, and the shreds work in cooking. Follow your heart also makes some dairy free options. I personally prefer lisanatti shreds but they do contain casein (my issues are lactose intolerance and allergic to whey) which does not bother me. So delicious makes coconut yogurt, kite hill makes almond yogurt and soft cheeses from almonds, silk has some options also. And there is always nut based milks, and flax milk. Sam with icecreams from so delicious, no moo, coconut bliss, and my personal favorite freeo of dairy and sugars looks up winkfrozendeserts.

"Kraft singles have whey protein which may not be gluten free"

I suppose a protein powder made with whey, could, maybe, not be gluten-free (it would clearly list wheat or barley).  But in cheese, it is just referring to a part of milk.