This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starting Weight Watchers!

wakorb89

wakorb89 Newbie

Hey Everyone! I've been Celiac since 1990 and I have progressed in age, I have also put on weight each year. I have decided to join weight watchers in order to get my life back on track.

Anyone else who's in weight watchers and is glutenfree? It would be great to have a small online support group going. I feel like the meetings will be helpful, but still not as helpful as if there were glutenfree members in it with me!

Also, does anyone have any good POINTS recipes that are glutenfree? I'm in college and need simple things to make :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

goo-girl95 Newbie

I'm curious to know if there are any gluten-free people in Weight Watchers as well. I joined WW in 2003 then made my goal weight in 2004. I then left WW and was later diagnosed with celiac disease in late 2004. If they have changed some of their WW items to be gluten-free, that would help a lot. I love the convenience of their prepackaged food. I do still have all of my books and materials so I can still follow the program. It is pretty much just basic common sense stuff for weight loss. Having the support of others is nice though. :rolleyes:

Kathleen Smith Contributor

Hi!

I was diagnosed last April 2009 with Celiac. Made my mistakes the first few months (like alot of people), then got it together by Septemebr. I too, did weight watchers previously (about 6 years ago) and lost 25 pounds (almost goal weight). Then each year the weight gradually increased. Then when I went gluten free in April 2009, I gained a quick 9/10 pounds. Someone had said to me on this site that at first you over eat because you kind of feel sorry for yourself and how much you think you cant eat and in turn you actually start over eating by eating anythin that is gluten free, just because you can.

I re-joined Weight Watchers two week before Christmas (a weird time I know). Since than I have lost 9 pound and am already feeling much better. I get weighed today and will be starting week 6. At first I was hungy. But by the second third week your mind kind of catches up with your stomach and it feels good. It feels empowering.

I am thinking of Weight Watchers as part II of my gluten free. Part I was getting rid of gluten and trying whole foods and gluten free subsitutes. Part II will not be finding that balance. To be gluten free, but to be as healthy as I can (with combo of whole foods and some substitues as necessary) and get the portion/calories under control.

I do get jealous at meetings when they talk about fiber. For "normal" eaters you can have Fiber 1 and get a TON of fiber, have really low points and get full. So, I have reached out to this forum and weight watchers to try and swap ideas on that.

texasred8211n Newbie

Hi!

I was diagnosed last April 2009 with Celiac. Made my mistakes the first few months (like alot of people), then got it together by Septemebr. I too, did weight watchers previously (about 6 years ago) and lost 25 pounds (almost goal weight). Then each year the weight gradually increased. Then when I went gluten free in April 2009, I gained a quick 9/10 pounds. Someone had said to me on this site that at first you over eat because you kind of feel sorry for yourself and how much you think you cant eat and in turn you actually start over eating by eating anythin that is gluten free, just because you can.

I re-joined Weight Watchers two week before Christmas (a weird time I know). Since than I have lost 9 pound and am already feeling much better. I get weighed today and will be starting week 6. At first I was hungy. But by the second third week your mind kind of catches up with your stomach and it feels good. It feels empowering.

I am thinking of Weight Watchers as part II of my gluten free. Part I was getting rid of gluten and trying whole foods and gluten free subsitutes. Part II will not be finding that balance. To be gluten free, but to be as healthy as I can (with combo of whole foods and some substitues as necessary) and get the portion/calories under control.

I do get jealous at meetings when they talk about fiber. For "normal" eaters you can have Fiber 1 and get a TON of fiber, have really low points and get full. So, I have reached out to this forum and weight watchers to try and swap ideas on that.

Your post is something I have needed. I would love to be part of this forum.

natalierw Newbie

i would love to be part of this forum also,,,ww dont have the gluten free is why I didnt get involved in it,,It s a great program but its alot of work to differentiate from what they are telling you to eat,I to stocked up on things that said gluten free when i first started to not eat it and its bad idea,,,,i thought i could have as much s i wanted if it said gluten free,NOT

sugrsflwr2 Newbie

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac and I am on Weight watchers diet. I have lost 31 pds so far. The positive thing about gluten free diet is you eat healthy, fruits , veggies, and those are the no pt, or low pts things WW have you eat. As far as if they have any gluten free products I don't know. I started out just eating fresh fruits and veggies and meats and then got into trying some of the so called Gluten free foods. You have to be vary careful with them. They have sm warnings to say thing such as may contain traces of wheat, not mfg in a gluten free facilty. Cross contamination is the hard thing. I think safest bet probably is to just eat the fresh things you cook yourself. Oh ive been told the products that replace wheat gluten-free are more fattening so you have to be careful with portion size because most are carbs.

sugrsflwr2 Newbie

Your post is something I have needed. I would love to be part of this forum.

As far as the fiber goes my digestive health Dr put me on metamucil and mylanta. I have problems with constipation. So far it works good. The mylanta you get magenesium which helps with iregularity.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Count me in as one who overloaded on things I COULD eat after finding out all the things I could no longer eat. Another difficulty is the higher glycemic index and calorie count for some of the foods we can have. For example, when dieting, one can find high-fiber, lower calorie breads that are 50-100 calories a slice. ONE slice of my delicious Pamela's bread mix, as prepared, is 170 calories PER SLICE!!

• 4 weeks later...
GF4jlb Newbie

Hello everyone!

I would love to join your group. I started Ediets a few weeks ago to get some gluten free recipes and am doing okay. Have found that now when I mistakenly or intentionally eat gluten my system TOTALLY freaks out. But it's worth it, I haven't felt better on the days when I do it right. So learning lessons. Slowly but surely.... I am a WW fan but have all the books and info and think I will save some $$ doing it on my own.... Should we have some sort of checkin if people want to keep accountable and support one another? I would be game.... Thanks for writing in everyone and hope you are all doing well.

Jen

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Hi! I'd like to join you, too. I started Weight Watchers the day after Thanksgiving, and by Valentine's Day I lost 16 lbs and reached my goal weight. Now I'm maintaining by tracking calories using an online tracker (MyPlate, on the Livestrong website), rather than continue to pay the monthly fee for WW Online.

Like some of you, when I was diagnosed Celiac 1.5 years ago, I overcompensated for my loss of gluten by eating a lot of junk food that was bad for me, and I gained about 10 lbs pretty quickly. I feel so much better and in control now!

Weight Watchers really works! I combined it with running, which I think was a huge help. I started off slow and am now up to 5-6 miles, 3x a week.

They say maintenance is the hardest part. I'd like to stay accountable, and since we're all in the same gluten-free boat, this seems like a great place to do that!

plantime Contributor

Hello. I have been on weightwatchers online for a long time. I just want all of you to know that the weightwatchers message boards, which are free, have many celiac and glutenfree people. I frequent the GDT board, and there is a dietary issues board that usually has a thread for glutenfree posts. I get a lot of point-friendly recipes that are glutenfree and very delicious from them.

If anyone wants to talk on the weightwatchers GDT message board, just give 1bean2bean a shout out. I will be happy to answer!

Oh, I am posting this just so you all know that you are not alone in this battle. There is already a support group out there online. I use celiac.com and weightwatchers for my information.

coffeetime Explorer

Thank you Smithk6 your post was just what I needed this morning. I am a lifetime WW member that is now above goal. Your words about feeling sorry for yourself really hit me hard because it is so true. I've been gluten-free for about 6 weeks now, I had no GI symptoms (but did have brain fog, migraines, and fatigue) and was just picked up with screening after my brother was diagnosed. I have had no problems avoiding gluten but I find I am eating anything that is gluten free just to be eating. I realized after I read your post this morning that it's not anger that I need to deal with but feeling sorry for myself and on a conscious level I don't know why. It's not like I'm dealing with a lot of the health related issues that many other posters have had to deal with. Between work and grad school I can't get to the reg. meetings and I didn't find the online WW to be very helpful for me so I guess I will just try to get to summer when school is out and my schedule is not as hectic and maybe I can get back to the meetings. Thanks again for the post about feeling sorry for yourself-I have always been an emotional eater but I was confusing the two emotions maybe by acknowledging that I can better deal with it .

Hi!

Archived