reeetz

What Will The Doctor Say?

Rate this topic

Hi! I have a little problem here. I was really sick for a few months after food poisoning and had a lot of testing done, all which came out negative. None of these tests were for Celiac though. I hated the doctor I saw so I made an appointment to go see a new doctor. The problem is that I have already started the gluten free diet and I feel much much better now. So....what I'm wondering is what do you think the doctor will say? I know the tests won't come out right because of the diet now, but I didn't know what else to do. Will the doctor want me to start eating gluten again? Can I just have a gene test done to confirm Celiac? Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who knows something about this. I just want to be prepared when I go.

Well, no doctor is required to start the diet and if you are feeling better on the gluten free diet, there is an indication that gluten is an issue for you.

If your doctor would like to test you for Celiac, you must continue to consume gluten for the most accuracy in testing. But, then, you already know that you feel better not eating gluten.

The gene test will tell you that you have an increased risk to develop Celiac, but it cannot tell you if you have Celiac. Seventy percent to the people who have the DQ2 and DQ8 gene will never develop the disease.

Many people here are self diagnosed and feel quite comfortable about that conclusion. There are a few lucky people here, whose doctor diagnosed them with a gluten intolerance, solely based on dietary response.

Good luck.

:)

Hi! I have a little problem here. I was really sick for a few months after food poisoning and had a lot of testing done, all which came out negative. None of these tests were for Celiac though. I hated the doctor I saw so I made an appointment to go see a new doctor. The problem is that I have already started the gluten free diet and I feel much much better now. So....what I'm wondering is what do you think the doctor will say? I know the tests won't come out right because of the diet now, but I didn't know what else to do. Will the doctor want me to start eating gluten again? Can I just have a gene test done to confirm Celiac? Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who knows something about this. I just want to be prepared when I go.

I wouldn't worry about having an "official" diagnosis unless that is something that's important to you. The main thing is that you feel better eating gluten free, and that's what is important! :D