shepgs

I Did Not Expect To Feel Worse!

Rate this topic

I started this gluten-free diet three weeks ago as a result of family history of health issues and Enterolab results, not because I was having any significant ones of my own, especially not digestive issues. However, I have noticed increased digestive problems... bloating, gas pains, etc. with today being the worst. What is going on? I didn't have intestinal damage to begin with so why the upset?

I know this probably gets asked alot by newbies...sorry. But what do I do?

Thanks so much!

Have you been eating a lot of bean flours or beans? It could be a reaction to a very different diet.

I had bloating and gas pains and cramping from lactose, long before I was aware of any gluten problem. Try giving up lactose or all dairy and see if it makes a difference.

I started this gluten-free diet three weeks ago as a result of family history of health issues and Enterolab results, not because I was having any significant ones of my own, especially not digestive issues. However, I have noticed increased digestive problems... bloating, gas pains, etc. with today being the worst. What is going on? I didn't have intestinal damage to begin with so why the upset?

I know this probably gets asked alot by newbies...sorry. But what do I do?

Thanks so much!

How do you know you didn't have intestinal damage? Some people have silent celiac where they don't have GI symptoms but they are still being damaged. Personally I think people go through an adjustment phase where their gut bacteria balance changes due to the different foods they are eating. Things that might help: staying strictly gluten free, eating no sugar or sugary drinks, taking a dairy-free probiotic, getting more fiber in your diet, and time. I know I had gut spasms for weeks after going gluten-free as my intestines were healing. You may also find you have additional food intolerances to root out. Any of the top 8 allergens are a good starting point for things to eliminate if you don't start feeling better after a while. Keep trucking on the diet, it takes time to adjust and to get better. I am a little over 2 years in and have gotten quite a bit better just this year after eliminating soy completely.

I'm just going off my Enterolab results. My ttg level was in the normal range, as was the malabsorption part. It was just the IgA that was elevated. Does all that mean there wasn't any damage? I'm still new to figuring that stuff out. Also, my casein level was normal. I am realizing as I type that that's different than lactose issues, though.

I haven't been adding any beans or bean flours, trying to avoid digestive issues others relate and, frankly, I'm just not a bean fan, tastewise. I've been using sorghum, millet, and brown rice flours, along with the requisite starches...and xanthan gum.

I think after today (son's birthday) I'll take a hiatus from baking (too stressful) and stick to plain, naturally gluten free foods. Hopefully, that will help. I only thought of true celiac (not gluten sensitive) patients as dealing with this part.

Any more input is welcome. Thank you!

the only sure way to know if you have intestinal damage is to have the endoscopy and biopsy. Blood tests cannot see damage to the villi, and as previously noted, some Celiacs do not have noticable gastric distress symptoms.

Try just whole natural foods for a while, rather than going nuts with the baking and prepackaged gluten free alternatives. There's no gluten in broccoli or steak. :) Thank goodness!