Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharonF

Overindulging

I think I've been "coping with" celiac disease by overdoing it on the stuff I CAN. I mean, I eat way too much candy, for one thing.

I wonder if it's my mind's way of saying "Okay, no regular pizza, but I can have all the M&Ms I want!" ?

Mom of 3

Diagnosed celiac August 2004

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yep, I think some of us do that. It'll get better as you find more foods you can have, and get used to the diet. Give it time, and get out for a walk while eating those M&M's. ;-)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Me too! I've started eating a Baby Ruth or M&Ms everyday. I didn't use to eat that much candy. But since now I can't have my favorite ham sandwich or beef burrito, yummy, I'm making up for it with chocolate! :D I think there's probably a lot less calories in the candy though. That sandwich and burrito where huge!

Join eNewsletter

I just discovered Rice Dream Ice Cream and I can eat the vanilla, along with EnjoyLife chocolate chips, boy, I never ate much ice cream before but now that I found this! well, I have put some weight on in the last 2 weeks. I just can't seem to stop eating it for desert, EVERY NIGHT, even when I am still full from dinner.

This too shall run its course and I will calm down, however, until then, Rice Dream Ice Cream every night.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

Join eNewsletter

I'm the same way. Not only that, but my meals have become so planned in case I go somewhere w/o gluten-free food or I get hungry while commuting home, etc, that the eating process has become mechanical. It's hard for me to listen to my stomach to know when to eat.

Join eNewsletter

oh, man, do i hear you!!! i have been having some problems with candy and ice cream binges-- to the point where i feel literally HUNG OVER in the morning sometimes. for some reason, even though i know i will wind up feeling worse, in the moment it feels unavoidable to go for some more m&ms. (i like the peanut ones myself!) have any more experienced celiacs gone through this and come out "normal" about eating again???

Join eNewsletter

I do the same thing with french fries, soy ice cream, cashews, and chips (when I find some that don't make me sick!). When I crave something like pizza, I just eat something like that.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Join eNewsletter

Made the same mistake myself..I think our bodies are just starving for some reason..trying to get the nutrition denied for great periods of time.

What is worse, there now exists a gluten- free version of Oreo cookies and they have a ton of fiber in them! That gives us an excuse to indulge more than ever!

They are even crunchier and better tasting than the "real" thing.

For those of you that get D it is even more inviting..I get C so my body reminds me to knock it off...Whew!...on that account anyway.

blueshift

from Chicago suburbs near O'Hare

Join eNewsletter

Chocolate is my over-indulgence. I can have it, so I do. It does not require cooking, I can get it at any convenience store. Now to get it off my hips!

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Join eNewsletter

Guest Eloisa
Made the same mistake myself..I think our bodies are just starving for some reason..trying to get the nutrition denied for great periods of time.

What is worse, there now exists a gluten- free version of Oreo cookies and they have a ton of fiber in them! That gives us an excuse to indulge more than ever!

They are even crunchier and better tasting than the "real" thing.

Where are these Oreo? I need them for my eating binges. I eat way to much candies and ice cream. I feel the same way as everyone who posted. I don't know if its frustration or just the I don't care mode I gotta eat something good.

Join eNewsletter

Where are these Oreo?  I need them for my eating binges.  I eat way to much candies and ice cream.  I feel the same way as everyone who posted.  I don't know if its frustration or just the I don't care mode I gotta eat something good.

I KNEW I was gonna get a response to that post and I won't be surprised if a dozen more come rolling in..

The wrapping they came in is history and so is the other wrapping that I tore off the other package last week but I will be going to the health store tomorrow and see if they are getting any more in..I don't remember the name of the company offhand since my radar was too honed in on what was inside...like Homer Simpson going after a doughnut.

blueshift

Join eNewsletter

I KNEW I was gonna get a response to that post and I won't be surprised if a dozen more come rolling in..

The wrapping they came in is history and so is the other wrapping that I tore off the other package last week but I will be going to the health store tomorrow and see if they are getting any more in..I don't remember the name of the company offhand since my radar was too honed in on what was inside...like Homer Simpson going after a doughnut.

So its not by Nabisco then?

- Vincent -

Join eNewsletter

I hate to make things worse, but there is also a set of frozen glazed doughnuts that have anything that Dunkin Donuts ever made backed off the map..Both chocolate or vanilla (well White anyway) is available..They have NOT run out of that and I will be picking some up tomorrow..

I eat them while they are frozen and they are awesome..

blueshift

Join eNewsletter

I think I found my new "treasure" food. We got this book on top secret restaurant recipes and in it is the Blooming Onion from the Outback(pre gluten free this was one of my favorite foods) well we modifed the recipe to be gluten free and it was so good!

I also love chocolate hershey bars and snickers.

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Join eNewsletter

Guest nini

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups have become one of my major over indulgences!

I'm also addicted to those donuts by Kinnikinick! OMG they are so good! I can eat them frozen too!

One night I had such a bad craving for something bad for me, so I made a banana split loaded with lots of Mayfield vanilla ice cream, Smuckers hot fudge, peanuts and Erewhon Rice Crisps... (I wayyyy overdid it and ended up puking it all back up!) Oh well.

Join eNewsletter

(I wayyyy overdid it and ended up puking it all back up!) Oh well.

We must enjoy all things in moderation because it doesn't taste as good coming back up as it did going down. :lol:

If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?

Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.

Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

Join eNewsletter

Ok - please stop posting about this incredibly delicious food unless you know the name and where I can get it asap! :D haha! :D I MUST know who makes the oreos and also the doughnuts! They sound great! Pleaase let us know when you find out. Thanks!

Lisa Ann

Gluten Free since April 2005

Join eNewsletter

Reading all these posts on what people overindulge on is definitely not helping my situation. :)

Does anyone have any solutions to keep their mind off of food or help them to stop eating once the rampage has begun? I know exactly what the "food hangover" feels like. It lasts for a couple days with me and makes me feel so terrible about myself. I've begun to stock my fridge with only healthy food, and I've also found that splitting large portions (from leftovers or things I make for the whole week) into small ones helps - like separating my fruit salad into small tupperware containers instead of one large bowl. I'm definitely still having issues, though, so if anyone has advice, please post or e-mail. Thanks!!

Devon

Join eNewsletter

The splitting into smaller portions is a good idea. I find that I have a couple weaknesses, and use the following things depending on the situation:

1. grab a serving of the food, then go for a walk before having more

2. drink at least a cup of water, and waiting 10 minutes before having anything more

3. read this board before having anything

4. if it's just a case of the munchies, have some gum

Basically, the point here is to distract myself for a certain amount of time before I consider going to that item again. It works better sometimes than others, but so it goes...

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Nope.  There are two companies that make them.  Darn, can't remember...maybe Mi-del and Glutano?

I know Glutano makes some good cookies like Oreos...Midel might too..but I have Glutano ones right here :D

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Join eNewsletter

There we go...I got at least one brand. I think their Oreo has a very sweet frosting in between and the cookie part is a little thicker and not ridged--not that I really care; but it provides a distinction for me between it and the other, the cookie part of which looks exactly like an Oreo.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):