This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Fritos Corn Chips?

steve-o

VioletBlue Contributor

I had to stop eating Fritos and Cheetos as well. I reacted, particularly to the Fritos. That truly sucks because Fritos have such a simple ingredient list: corn, corn oil, salt. But it happens every single time with plain old Fritos.

Fritos has this disclaimer on their website:

"The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

Only their Stax chips are made on dedicated lines.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

....."But it happens every single time with plain old Fritos."......

When someone reacts every single time to a food product that contains no gluten ingredients, that tells me it is not a result of cross contamination.

Cross contamination is not a constant. If it exists in a production run, it is to a varying degree during that run. There will be more contamination, or less, or none in the products that are produced during that production run.

best regards, lm

ReneeBTX Newbie

I could never eat Fritos, not even when I didn't have health problems. I've always attributed it to all the salt and grease on them. Fritos are NASTY soaked in salt and grease. I eat regular corn chips, Santinas brand with no problems. Cheetos, however, make me ill big time.

buffettbride Enthusiast

My daughter is a Frito machine. No problems for her.

buffettbride Enthusiast

She doesn't eat Cheetos, though. The MSG gets to her.

JBaby Enthusiast

I eat them daily, no problems.

VioletBlue Contributor

Well, I don't react to corn, corn oil or salt at any other time, anywhere else in any other product. What option does that leave?

....."But it happens every single time with plain old Fritos."......

When someone reacts every single time to a food product that contains no gluten ingredients, that tells me it is not a result of cross contamination.

Cross contamination is not a constant. If it exists in a production run, it is to a varying degree during that run. There will be more contamination, or less, or none in the products that are produced during that production run.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I love :wub: plain Fritos. But my whole life I found that if I eat too many, my stomach is upset. A few is fine. With food even better. I think there might be something about the way they are ground & the oil....

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

"This is the thread that never ends... it goes on and on my friend." Sing with me! A five year old thread from 2005 still going is pretty good! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 9 years later...
New diagnosis Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease after breaking a hand last year and so went on a very strict diet. I’ve been feeling very well for the last four months until this last week. For some reason my body is now reacting to Fritos corn chips original version. I had a handful in a salad last night and became severely bloated. This afternoon not knowing that the Fritos might be suspect  I had another very small handful and became bloated within twenty minutes.  It is this reason I decided to go out to the celiac community and see if anybody else experienced this. I am somewhat relieved to find out through this site that other people have had the same experience. By the way being bloated has never been one of the symptoms associated with celiac disease for me. My glutened indication is a massive headache. 99% of the time within 30 seconds of eating gluten I get the headache and immediately stop eating whatever has been put before me

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, New diagnosis said:

I was diagnosed with celiac disease after breaking a hand last year and so went on a very strict diet. I’ve been feeling very well for the last four months until this last week. For some reason my body is now reacting to Fritos corn chips original version. I had a handful in a salad last night and became severely bloated. This afternoon not knowing that the Fritos might be suspect  I had another very small handful and became bloated within twenty minutes.  It is this reason I decided to go out to the celiac community and see if anybody else experienced this. I am somewhat relieved to find out through this site that other people have had the same experience. By the way being bloated has never been one of the symptoms associated with celiac disease for me. My glutened indication is a massive headache. 99% of the time within 30 seconds of eating gluten I get the headache and immediately stop eating whatever has been put before me

They are gluten free.  But they are fatty and salty and contain corn - all of which can bother someone’s digestive system.  

• 2 years later...
ChefBonny Newbie
On 6/4/2019 at 6:16 PM, New diagnosis said:

I have had the same experience over the past two days!  Fritos have not bothered me in the past, but yesterday within 20 minutes of eating a handful on my salad, I developed symptoms, including a migraine.  I wasn't sure what had triggered it, but was sure it wasn't the Fritos, as I have eaten them with no problem previously.  So today, I again had a handful...and again I had a migraine within 15-20 minutes.  My gluten sensitivity is very extreme, and the symptoms are so easy to recognize, that I know it is a gluten reaction, not due to grease, etc as some others have said.  Just wanted you to know, you are not alone!