This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swelling, Water Retention

arened

arened Rookie

I was just wondering how long it took for your swelling to go away (for those of you who have swelling as a symptom of Celiac). Do any of you experience waking up with swelling (face, ankles, hands, etc) after ingesting gluten?

Just curious if I was the only one out there.

(Blood pressure, weight, thyroid, lupus test, kidney and liver function all are normal)

Thanks and enjoy the weekend :-)

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veggeemaya Newbie

I was just wondering how long it took for your swelling to go away (for those of you who have swelling as a symptom of Celiac). Do any of you experience waking up with swelling (face, ankles, hands, etc) after ingesting gluten?

Just curious if I was the only one out there.

(Blood pressure, weight, thyroid, lupus test, kidney and liver function all are normal)

Thanks and enjoy the weekend :-)

I'm not sure if this is will be that helpful being this post is a bit old but I always have swelling in the morning after having something i am sensitive to. I have been to an allergist and he told me that was very unusual...that typically it happens right away but i know the difference. i can tell immediately when i wake up by the way my lips feel swollen and also my joints in my fingers...even my knees are swollen and tender. i've never been diagnosed with celiac; i think mine is more of just a sensitivity. i tend to go off and on with gluten until i just can't take it anymore which of course is stupid but... this is my first day back off gluten. i hope the swelling goes away soon.

how has yours been? hope its better!

-Jill

alissar Contributor

Jill,

Thank you so much for your post. My swelling started to go away completely....then just this past week it came back full force. Its really getting me down. The only thing I can think of is that my priest told me that I could use a gluten-free eucharist, but it turns out it was "low gluten". Its just hard for me to believe such a small amount of gluten would make me swell so bad for a couple of weeks. I actually was getting a little tearful about it this morning. The swelling lasts for a good 5 hrs and, at 26 years old, I'm sad to say I am still a little vain. Do small amounts of gluten make you swell as well? How long does it take before your swelling subsides?

Thanks again!

Archived