This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut And Acid Reflux?

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I was diagnosed with Celiac in May 2010. I just saw an alternative medicine doctor and she said that there was no doubt about it, I have leaky gut as well. She wasn't sure if I had yeast overgrowth, but suspected it. For the last month or so, I've tried to reduce the amount of sweets that I eat drastically. This has been hard because I am such a sweet tooth and have constant cravings for sweets. But I feel a little better now. However, I have acid reflux and I have taken an anti acid med for 7 plus years, which is making my stomach acid less acidic. But that's a problem because my stomach acid doesn't kill enough bacteria and yeast and I probably have all kinds of undigested garbage in my intestines that my stomach acid won't get rid of. And because my intestines are constantly irritated with all this junk, it contributes to the damage which opens up small holes and contributes to leaky gut. At least that's what I can make of all of this. The problem is, if I stop taking my acid reflux meds, I get terrible heartburn. I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone else having a problem with acid reflux and low acidic stomach acid? How can I break this cycle?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skigirlchar Newbie

"The problem is, if I stop taking my acid reflux meds, I get terrible heartburn. I'm not sure what to do. Anyone else having a problem with acid reflux and low acidic stomach acid? How can I break this cycle? "

I had to take my acid reflux meds twice a day. Once I eliminated most of my trigger foods I was able to wean down to (for the most part) once a day. Every once in a while i try to go w/o it at all, but i can usually only go @ 36 hours still before the acid flair ups occur.

The more diligent I am to keeping to my diet, the better off I feel.

Good luck!

burdee Enthusiast

I was diagnosed with Celiac in May 2010. I just saw an alternative medicine doctor and she said that there was no doubt about it, I have leaky gut as well. She wasn't sure if I had yeast overgrowth, but suspected it. For the last month or so, I've tried to reduce the amount of sweets that I eat drastically. This has been hard because I am such a sweet tooth and have constant cravings for sweets. But I feel a little better now. However, I have acid reflux and I have taken an anti acid med for 7 plus years, which is making my stomach acid less acidic. But that's a problem because my stomach acid doesn't kill enough bacteria and yeast and I probably have all kinds of undigested garbage in my intestines that my stomach acid won't get rid of. And because my intestines are constantly irritated with all this junk, it contributes to the damage which opens up small holes and contributes to leaky gut. At least that's what I can make of all of this. The problem is, if I stop taking my acid reflux meds, I get terrible heartburn. I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone else having a problem with acid reflux and low acidic stomach acid? How can I break this cycle?

The problem with acid reflux meds is they don't really address the cause of reflux. They merely suppress the symptoms. Reflux is NOT caused by excess stomach acid. In fact too little stomach acid can cause reflux, because the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is trigger biochemically by the pH level (acid/base) in your stomach when you eat. Without low enough pH (acid), the LES will not stay closed after the meal.

Above all, reflux occurs when the LES opens at inappropriate times, not by the mere presence of acid in the stomach. I had reflux for years, although I had (diagnosed by Heidelberg capsule test) LOW stomach acid production. Several foods, drugs and lifestyle habits can relax the LES and cause reflux. Those foods include caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, peppermint, onions. Drugs include NSAIDs, demerol and others. Lifestyle habits which exacerbate reflux include overeating, wearing tight waistbands and going to bed too soon after eating (and especially lying on your right side).

Acid blocking meds will kill the stomach acid necessary to kill any food born bacteria, parasites and/or fungus (like candida). I had 8 different gut bugs during the past 4 years, because I had low stomach acid. You need to stop taking acid blocking meds and abstain from foods that cause reflux as well as change how you eat, sleep and dress. Also read "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Jonathon Wright, MD. That book lists the specific drugs, foods and habits that exacerbate reflux. You might also consider getting your stomach acid production tested by a Heidelberg capsule test.

Many docs test the amount of acid in the esophagus, but that doesn't tell you how much acid your stomach produces. Testing esophageal acid only tells you that you have acid reflux. That burning sensation after eating already tells you that you have reflux. You need to determine and treat the cause of your freflux, not just the symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...
Coolclimates Collaborator

that's interesting that these antiacid meds just block the symptoms but don't improve them. I have gotten a bunch of test results back recently about what foods I'm allergic to. The problem is, the clinic won't share the results with me until I make another appointment and go in and see them. It's an alternative medicine place about 45 miles south of where I live. I went there once and they tried selling me all sorts of powders and suppliments. So I'm just worrying that they will try to sell me all this stuff again when I come back. I'm kind of skeptical of all these things...I just don't know what to make from them. But I need the results, so I guess I just have to go in. I can always decide not to buy all the supplements if they try to sell me them...

By the way, I notice if I eat really spicy foods that they make the acid reflux worse.

Charlie's Girl Apprentice

that's interesting that these antiacid meds just block the symptoms but don't improve them. I have gotten a bunch of test results back recently about what foods I'm allergic to. The problem is, the clinic won't share the results with me until I make another appointment and go in and see them. It's an alternative medicine place about 45 miles south of where I live. I went there once and they tried selling me all sorts of powders and suppliments. So I'm just worrying that they will try to sell me all this stuff again when I come back. I'm kind of skeptical of all these things...I just don't know what to make from them. But I need the results, so I guess I just have to go in. I can always decide not to buy all the supplements if they try to sell me them...

By the way, I notice if I eat really spicy foods that they make the acid reflux worse.

I had horrible acid reflux/GERD for years. (I was also throwing up every day and gaining weight) I was eating at least a bottle of TUMS everyday. Went to a Gastro in the summer of 2005. Had the endoscopy. She told me my stomach was very red and she put me on Nexium.

It sort of helped- for a while and then it got worse again. She wanted me to take 2 pills a day. I was trying all sorts of things (but didn't know I had Celiac and so I was not doing the right things) After a couple of years of this- I decided I was done. I told her I was too young to be taking 2 pills per day and where would I be at 50 or 55 if I was going to be on 2 pills at 45 years of age. 3 pills, 5 pills, more? They weren't working so I decided to stop taking them.

I quit Nexium cold turkey in March 2008. It was awful. The Rx is a capsule- so I couldn't cut it in half- so I just quit. It hurt so much. For about 6 weeks. Felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a baseball bat. I couldn't sleep- up all night- so I was a googling fool. Found Dr. Leo Galland's interview on NBC (or MSNBC) and started to follow his advice for leaky gut and GERD. Google him. He writes about all of this.

I take all of his recommended supplements- marshmallow, l-glutamine and others. I used to buy them separately- but now I use Intestinew as I wanted to streamline as much as I could. My supplements were getting out of control. Intestinew has most everything he recommends in a convenient powder form. Metagenics makes an intestinal support powder that I have used also- I think it is gluten free- but it was pre-diagnosis- so you need to check. The Intestinew is powder- one scoop in water in the AM- doesn't taste like much- easy to do. I get it online at Swanson's- but you can also get it at Whole Foods.

Now- the most important thing I learned from Dr. Galland- powdered calcium. I put one scoop in a 1 liter bottle of water and drink it throughout the day. You have to shake it up as it will settle. The calcium closes the valve and pretty much immediately stops the burning reflux. It has changed my life. I get All One from Swanson's. You can also get it at Whole Foods- but it is twice the price.

I take a few sips after each meal and periodically throughout the day when I feel my stomach starting to get burpy. And I NEVER eat spicy food. My diet is simple and very plain. And if I keep it that way- it works.

In January of this year- I was tested for all sorts of things including digestive enzymes. I have NONE. I am convinced the 3 years on Nexium shut down my system. I now take 1-2 Digest Gold before eating. I have tried apple cider vinegar- but my throat is still too raw for it- even if it is diluted. I have read great things about ACV though. And it is really inexpensive.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your test results. I am not 100% better- but it has definitely improved a lot with these supplements and the calcium.

• 1 month later...
Gluten free Goldfish Newbie

Hi Coolclimates- I read your post and I really recommend drinking Apple Cyder Vinegar to help acid reflux/gerd. I take 1 tsp in hot water before meals and find it really helps! ACV is clever stuff as it mimics your stomach acid therefore if your stomach is either too acidic - it will make it moe neutral, and if it is too alkaline (not producing enough acid) then it will increase the stomach acidity to help digest that meal. It is also a powerful natural antifungal so helps greatly with candida overgrowth :D hope that helps!

Archived