This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yes Or No?

mcc0523

mcc0523 Newbie

Like the header for the title says, my test results came back with a normal tTC IgA and a slightly elevated tTC IgG. As my labwork says, I have "none detected" niacin, almost no Vitamin D, and I'm on the "low normal" ranges of the other vitamins I was tested for. Even with a little over a week of going gluten free, the nausea that has been a constant in my life for... a really, really long time (at least 15 years) is not nearly as severe. I've been able to forgo anti-emetics a couple mornings, actually, when I would have taken it if I had still been eating gluten (I suspect). D hasn't been so bad... things have been loose, but not explosive (except the morning after I ate something without reading a label... which is when the nausea came back).

So.... I trust others who live with these diseases than I do doctors who only read about them. I haven't heard from my doc about these results, actually... They were drawn a month ago, and were expected to be in after two weeks. I called yesterday and demanded they be faxed to me. I don't know if or when I would have been notified. I am supposed to get another test and see this doctor again, but after this, I'm not sure if I want to. I have been reading more and more about the effects of B3 deficiency, and it's not pretty. The same with Vitamin D. It is a miracle that I only have very, very minor skin involvement going on right now (pellegra and DH look very similar.... perhaps a connection?), and I don't have full blown Pellagra (although I'm not so sure that I don't have delirium right now. :rolleyes: ).

Sigh... I keep hearing snippets of the Hippocratic Oath, not so much "Do no harm", though that if you follow that, then providing prevention should be no question, because prevention of a disease is far superior than a cure for a disease (or something like that).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It can take a while to heal and the fact the nausea is getting better is a good sign. False negatives are not uncommon so go with how you feel after a couple months on the diet strictly. Hopefully you are supplementing with good gluten free vitamins to help the deficiencies. It is a good idea to avoid dairy and soy for a bit until you are well healed and make sure you do all you need to do to avoid cross contamination. Change your toaster, cutting boards, replace scratched pans and don't bake with flour for others. Take it easy with gluten free replacement foods for a bit and go with whole unprocessed naturally gluten free stuff instead. Hang in there it and hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

cassP Contributor

Like the header for the title says, my test results came back with a normal tTC IgA and a slightly elevated tTC IgG. As my labwork says, I have "none detected" niacin, almost no Vitamin D, and I'm on the "low normal" ranges of the other vitamins I was tested for. Even with a little over a week of going gluten free, the nausea that has been a constant in my life for... a really, really long time (at least 15 years) is not nearly as severe. I've been able to forgo anti-emetics a couple mornings, actually, when I would have taken it if I had still been eating gluten (I suspect). D hasn't been so bad... things have been loose, but not explosive (except the morning after I ate something without reading a label... which is when the nausea came back).

So.... I trust others who live with these diseases than I do doctors who only read about them. I haven't heard from my doc about these results, actually... They were drawn a month ago, and were expected to be in after two weeks. I called yesterday and demanded they be faxed to me. I don't know if or when I would have been notified. I am supposed to get another test and see this doctor again, but after this, I'm not sure if I want to. I have been reading more and more about the effects of B3 deficiency, and it's not pretty. The same with Vitamin D. It is a miracle that I only have very, very minor skin involvement going on right now (pellegra and DH look very similar.... perhaps a connection?), and I don't have full blown Pellagra (although I'm not so sure that I don't have delirium right now. :rolleyes: ).

Sigh... I keep hearing snippets of the Hippocratic Oath, not so much "Do no harm", though that if you follow that, then providing prevention should be no question, because prevention of a disease is far superior than a cure for a disease (or something like that).

my ttg iga & igg were both "weak positive". and my antigliadin were negative. but my endomysial was positive, and 2 yrs after those tests- i got DH, Hashimoto's and Graves.... so dont necessarily be fooled by your WEAK elevated numbers...

what about the antigliadin & endomysial antibodies? and you might as well get a Total Iga Serum test too.

this disease can be very sneaky- you'll want to see all pieces to the puzzle

Archived