Rate this topic

My son is 8 and has been gluten-free/celiac for 2 years. Since he went gluten-free we have had a problem with his attention at school. He is by no means disruptive he is just in his own little world. Seems to have a glassy look in his eyes. Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?

I know that my son has trouble paying attention when he gets glutened. There are also many other possibilities which have nothing to do with celiac. Has he had a follow up blood test?

my daughter is 12, and is just the opposite. at home i think she has add, but her 5th and 6th grade teachers seen no sign of it at school. i have just sent a letter asking her 7th grade teachers if they are seeing any signs of it now, as her grades have slipped this past 9 weeks and she had a couple of missing assignments. not trying to make an excuse for her if she is just being lazy or irresponsible, but if there is an issue then i want to get her help for it. she was diagnosed summer before 5th grade.

My daughter is opposite. In fact yesterday I let her eat some crackers with corn starch and I lost her last night. We couldn't do homework, she was doubled over in pain, couldn't concentrate...but this morning was able to finish her homework in 2 minutes.

Personally when I started the diet, I would sometimes have those reactions because I wasn't getting enough calories. It seemed so overwhelming to eat and I was so afraid of getting glutened that I wouldn't eat. Or I had to get used to carting food around. Even now I have nuts in my purse because sometimes I just feel myself crashing. And of course I can't stop at Subway and grab a sandwich.

Maybe he has another food intolerance?

Good luck!

my daughter is 12, and is just the opposite. at home i think she has add, but her 5th and 6th grade teachers seen no sign of it at school. i have just sent a letter asking her 7th grade teachers if they are seeing any signs of it now, as her grades have slipped this past 9 weeks and she had a couple of missing assignments. not trying to make an excuse for her if she is just being lazy or irresponsible, but if there is an issue then i want to get her help for it. she was diagnosed summer before 5th grade.

may simply be puberty!