kotsu

Help Picking Gluten Free Bread Mix

Rate this topic

I've been looking for a good gluten free bread mix but have not been able to find a good one. Can someone recommend a good gluten-free mix?

My body's pretty picky. Here are some of the things I'm looking for in a gluten-free bread mix:

• No inulin / chicory root extract: Gives me tons of gas for days (usually used to add fiber to the bread)
  • No evaporated cane sugar: This gives me tons of gas as well. Sends the candida out of control. I'd prefer to find a mix where I have to add the sugar.
  • Decent amount of fiber: At least 4% Dailly Value. I hate brands with 0% fiber.
  • Easily/moderately digestible: This kind of goes with fiber. I hate brands that give you a hard loaf at the end. I prefer soft, moist bread.
  • Decent taste: Of course, I'd like the bread to taste good.
  • Yeast Free (optional): Would be nice if it was yeast free but it isn't a deal breaker.

I've only tried two bread mixes...Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Homemade Bread, which I found not to be so wonderful and their Cinnamon Raisin Bread, also not wonderful (for my taste at least).

Have you thought of starting from scratch? I'm still searching for a "go to" recipe but at least you get to control the ingredients if you find out that avoids the ingredients you don't want to use.

Have you checked out any of the Gluten Free Pantry mixes? Udi's ready made is free of all that you name if you want a ready made bread. Pamela's Baking mix is also a possiblity at least for biscuits and such. I also like Tom Sawyer flour mix but you would add your own rising agent.

I gave up on the store bought bread and bread mixes. I visited this link http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/03/gluten-free-multi-grain-sandwich-bread.htmland made the Multi Grain Sandwich Bread. I have tweaked the recipe in many ways, but the recipe is pretty good just as it is. She also has lots of suggestions about making a successful loaf. One tip. Always make sure the bread is baked to 205 degrees or it will be gummy inside.

I make several batches of the dry ingredients (my own "mix") at one time so all I have to do is gather the wet ingredients when I want to make a loaf. It keeps well in the fridge for a full week. When it is first baked it is good without toasting, then starting the next day I always toast it.

Ditto for the inulin and chicory. Owwwww!!!!

I like Celimix Flax Bread. It is easy to make and tastes like bread. Today I threw in fruit peel and made fruit bread.. mmmm Celimix Flax Bread Mix- 2kg Corn starch, white rice flour, flax meal, sugar,

cellulose gum, salt. Makes 6 loaves. Bread maker recipe on package.