Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nat1

Need Help With Breakfast!

I desparately need some ideas. Being gluten free, dairy and egg free, what can I have for breakfast that is high in protein? gluten-free cereals just don't cut it...I've been eating a great protein bar but just realized I shouldn't eat it because it has oats.

What do you eat for breakfast? Please help!

Thanks!

Udi's bread - toasted - with natural peanut butter & honey works for me! I get some protein, it fills me up & stays with me a long while. Happy eating!

Is the dairy free because of lactose-intolerance?

I ask because some lactose-intolerant people do well with Greek Yogurt...I think some of the bacterias in yogurt make it easier to digest.

As for my breakfasts, I usually do either gluten free cereal or string cheese and fruit. Occasionally spoonfuls of peanut butter if I need a protein boost.

I have total dairy intolerance -lactose and casein. It's pretty funny because cheese is my favorite food even though I can't and don't eat it.

I have total dairy intolerance -lactose and casein. It's pretty funny because cheese is my favorite food even though I can't and don't eat it.

A doctor gave an interesting talk including the subject of gluten and dairy similarities at our GIG meeting last weekend. Many celiacs, maybe even most, are dairy intolerant. Lactose intolerance is totally different as it is a sensitivity to milk sugar, not protein. The incompletely digested dairy protein chain shares peptides with the incompletely digested gluten grain proteins. The increased intestinal permeability of someone with celiac or gluten intolerance allows the dairy peptides to cross into the bloodstream, the same as the gluten grain peptides do, and the body reacts to them as invaders.

I want to do research and see if that is also why since my celiac diagnosis, I am unable to eat other foods as well. In fact, the list of things I can't tolerate grows yearly.

A doctor gave an interesting talk including the subject of gluten and dairy similarities at our GIG meeting last weekend. Many celiacs, maybe even most, are dairy intolerant. Lactose intolerance is totally different as it is a sensitivity to milk sugar, not protein. The incompletely digested dairy protein chain shares peptides with the incompletely digested gluten grain proteins. The increased intestinal permeability of someone with celiac or gluten intolerance allows the dairy peptides to cross into the bloodstream, the same as the gluten grain peptides do, and the body reacts to them as invaders.

I want to do research and see if that is also why since my celiac diagnosis, I am unable to eat other foods as well. In fact, the list of things I can't tolerate grows yearly.

Me too. Now I am finding that peanut butter makes my lips tingle. Spoke to the doctor and his answer was, "Well then don't eat it." :)

I find I definitely cannot do eggs, onions, garlic, spicy foods and I am suspecting something strange is going on with soy but I haven't done a food log on it yet. Still overwhelmed with all the rest. I am getting ready for thyroid surgery and total knee replacement. My doctor suggested that I take my own food to the hospital....

I'm right there with you - also throw in the fact that I prefer whole foods vs processed, and I found myself lost for what to eat in the morning. Most mornings, I'm not in the mood for meat so that further complicates matters. But here are some of my standard breakfasts:

Raw tahini butter or peanut butter (about two tablespoons) mixed well with applesauce (about two times the amount of applesauce to nut butter of choice (by the way, I'm allergic to nuts, so if you could eat them, almond butter would be a good choice here). Then I add a dash of cinnamon and vanilla, and mix it up really well. I then pour this over blueberries and top the whole thing off with different seeds: chia, hemp, flax, you name it, if I have it, it goes on top. I sometimes even add dried coconut and cocoa powder. You

I'm right there with you - also throw in the fact that I prefer whole foods vs processed, and I found myself lost for what to eat in the morning. Most mornings, I'm not in the mood for meat so that further complicates matters. But here are some of my standard breakfasts:

Raw tahini butter or peanut butter (about two tablespoons) mixed well with applesauce (about two times the amount of applesauce to nut butter of choice (by the way, I'm allergic to nuts, so if you could eat them, almond butter would be a good choice here). Then I add a dash of cinnamon and vanilla, and mix it up really well. I then pour this over blueberries and top the whole thing off with different seeds: chia, hemp, flax, you name it, if I have it, it goes on top. I sometimes even add dried coconut and cocoa powder. You

Me too. Now I am finding that peanut butter makes my lips tingle. Spoke to the doctor and his answer was, "Well then don't eat it." :)

I find I definitely cannot do eggs, onions, garlic, spicy foods and I am suspecting something strange is going on with soy but I haven't done a food log on it yet. Still overwhelmed with all the rest. I am getting ready for thyroid surgery and total knee replacement. My doctor suggested that I take my own food to the hospital....

In addition to my celiac, I can not tolerate dairy, soy, MSG, corn, and sulfites. I am continuously ill, but hadn't placed the sulfites until my daughter's pediatric gastro mentioned, after learning I was allergic to sulfa drugs, that with all the other things we avoid, it must be difficult to eat low-sulfite too. None of my doctors had suggested that connection. We eat a lot of eggs in our house and season anything not sweet with onion and garlic and all of those things are apparently naturally high in sulfites so have to be deleted. I am trying to wean myself off of those but am still getting more than I should and I feel it when I do eat them.

The last time I was in the hospital was in 2007, and yes, I took most of my own food. I took a plastic "Rubbermaid" bin filled with stuff to at least snack on when they couldn't figure out what to bring me. I took cereal, crackers, cookies, peanut butter, etc. I was happy I had that with me and at that time, the only thing I wasn't eating was gluten. One day I ordered a fruit and cheese plate and it arrived with crackers on the plate. I called dietary and asked what part of gluten-free they didn't understand. They told me to just not eat the crackers - and added - Duh! I demanded a supervisor and a dietitian came to my room and I reamed her for the staff not understanding cross-contamination and how dangerous that was, in a hospital especially. They brought me a new fruit and cheese plate with no cracker crumbs on the plate, but I figure they probably did something else to it since I complained. I hope over the past 4 years, things would be better in hospitals on that front with gluten-free becoming more "mainstream" but if I have to go back in the hospital for anything planned in advance, I will take my own food again since my list has increased.

In addition to my celiac, I can not tolerate dairy, soy, MSG, corn, and sulfites. I am continuously ill, but hadn't placed the sulfites until my daughter's pediatric gastro mentioned, after learning I was allergic to sulfa drugs, that with all the other things we avoid, it must be difficult to eat low-sulfite too. None of my doctors had suggested that connection. We eat a lot of eggs in our house and season anything not sweet with onion and garlic and all of those things are apparently naturally high in sulfites so have to be deleted. I am trying to wean myself off of those but am still getting more than I should and I feel it when I do eat them.

The last time I was in the hospital was in 2007, and yes, I took most of my own food. I took a plastic "Rubbermaid" bin filled with stuff to at least snack on when they couldn't figure out what to bring me. I took cereal, crackers, cookies, peanut butter, etc. I was happy I had that with me and at that time, the only thing I wasn't eating was gluten. One day I ordered a fruit and cheese plate and it arrived with crackers on the plate. I called dietary and asked what part of gluten-free they didn't understand. They told me to just not eat the crackers - and added - Duh! I demanded a supervisor and a dietitian came to my room and I reamed her for the staff not understanding cross-contamination and how dangerous that was, in a hospital especially. They brought me a new fruit and cheese plate with no cracker crumbs on the plate, but I figure they probably did something else to it since I complained. I hope over the past 4 years, things would be better in hospitals on that front with gluten-free becoming more "mainstream" but if I have to go back in the hospital for anything planned in advance, I will take my own food again since my list has increased.

I understand. I'm not sure what I will bring, but I would hate to have a gluten episode when I can't walk to the bathroom!