This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Huh? Reaction To Soya Spread

jaywalker

jaywalker Rookie

Hi, you may have sen my first post, where I blamed a bunch of recent "gluten reactions" on contaminated rice noodles, and the fact that I'm clumsy and spilled them all over the kitchen.

Much cleaning-up later, I've just had my 8th "gluten reaction". The last one followed after eating nothing but rice cakes spead with Pure Soya Spread. I've just realised that the Pure Soya Spread (which I've used for years and completely trust)is the ONLY common factor in every recent meal/ snack which caused my symptoms (wind, bloating, nausea , brain fog), Howevwr, I did throw away my old tub of Pure, last week, and bought a new one, on suspicion it might be that.

Can I have devloped a whole new food allergy? And if so, to what? I am still drinking soya milk without any problem

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

If soy milk doesn't bother you, then I suppose it's hard to blame it on the spread. However, so many of us have problems with soy. You might try eliminating it entirely for a while and see what happens??

jaywalker Rookie

If soy milk doesn't bother you, then I suppose it's hard to blame it on the spread. However, so many of us have problems with soy. You might try eliminating it entirely for a while and see what happens??

Hmm. I don't want to repeat the same mistake I made with gluten (eliminated it and then asked for a test)

Is there a test for soya allergy? and does anybody know is this available on the British NHS? (I am totally broke)

Evangeline Explorer

Take the soy sensitivity/intolerance test offered by EnteroLab or $130. www.EnteroLab.com Also test yourself for yeast and the other foods they offer. It is the most accurate test available for Celiacs. Good luck!

jaywalker Rookie

Take the soy sensitivity/intolerance test offered by EnteroLab or $130. www.EnteroLab.com Also test yourself for yeast and the other foods they offer. It is the most accurate test available for Celiacs. Good luck!

Thanks, but as I said, i am british an totally broke.

By totally broke i mean:

a) i have no income, and usually have to survive on

jaywalker Rookie

@ evangeline

oops , sorry. I just realised, "The British and totally broke" comment was attached to the same question on a different forum.

You had no way of knowing

jaywalker Rookie

PS @ Evangeline: No it wasn't. it was in my post directly above yours. But, then, that might still have been waiting for moderation, when you posted B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I react to soy too, just like gluten. :huh:

I recently read that the two most common intolerances secondary to gluten in celiacs are...lactose and soybean.

Many people can tolerate them again after the villi are healed.

Why you are reacting to the soya spread and not the milk is a mystery, unless it just depends on the AMOUNT of soy, or whether it is soy protein or soy lecithin? Some people can do the lecithin but not the protein or soy oil...Not sure why :unsure:

I am afraid the only thing you can do is eliminate all soy for a while and then try it again.

Earth Balance spread without soy (make sure it's the red tub) is a suggestion.

or plain ghee...it's butter fat and not the lactose or casein.

hope this helps!

jaywalker Rookie

Thanks, Irishheart and all!

I 've just had a talk with my doctor , following my latest reaction (from eating a curry, with no Soy in it), anly we have agreed that the only real possibility, from the list of ingredients on the Soya Spread label, is "vegetable oils". I've now been advised to cut out vegetable oils and keep a food diary.

Luckily I already know that I'm OK with potato chips cooked in Sunflower oil. I've been eating the damned things every other day...whenever I haven't felt brave enough to risk eating anything else (bar a bit of plain fruit or green salad),

So it;s some specific vegetable oil, i guess, but no knowing which.

At least I can still have soya milk :)

But what the heck will i use as a butter substitute now? I think i'm probably right out of options there. Gluten free, dairy free AND vege oil free??? huh

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks, Irishheart and all!

I 've just had a talk with my doctor , following my latest reaction (from eating a curry, with no Soy in it), anly we have agreed that the only real possibility, from the list of ingredients on the Soya Spread label, is "vegetable oils". I've now been advised to cut out vegetable oils and keep a food diary.

Luckily I already know that I'm OK with potato chips cooked in Sunflower oil. I've been eating the damned things every other day...whenever I haven't felt brave enough to risk eating anything else (bar a bit of plain fruit or green salad),

So it;s some specific vegetable oil, i guess, but no knowing which.

At least I can still have soya milk :)

But what the heck will i use as a butter substitute now? I think i'm probably right out of options there. Gluten free, dairy free AND vege oil free??? huh

You can use Ghee!!!

It's butter fat, not lactose or casein so you should be safe. I use it without any trouble. You can buy it, or if $$ is tight, make it. Google 'making ghee"---it involves heating the butter at a certain temp and pace to get down to the fat. I did it---easy as pie....oh man, pie :( ....I remember pie :D wouldn't we all love some pie right now....sigh...

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't know about the UK, but in the US "vegetable oil" almost always means soybean oil. I react to different forms of soy differently so it would not surprise me if you only have a problem with soybean oil and not other form (or you might find other forms of soybeans just give you mild reactions you don't notice much--For me soy lectin give very little reaction--only mild fatigue if I consume large quantities of it. Soybean oil give me migraine headaches and soy flour or soy milk gives me a range of digestive upset symptoms.

Some other ideas for things to spread on your toast/sandwiches: Nut butters, apple butter, pumpkin butter, jam, jellies, marmalade, etc, mayonnaise, avocado, hummus, baba ganoush (sp?--roasted eggplant), roasted garlic, coconut oil (not coconut milk--comes in solid form), seasoned olive oil--becomes solid when refridgerated or leave as liquid and use to season the meat and veggies in a sandwhich like a dressing.

ETA: also for baking I use Palm oil for greasing pans and things. It works great and has hardly any flavor at all. Not a good spread though. I also drizzle different flavored oils on my rice or baked potatoes--instead of butter I use sesame oil or olive oil and add other seaosnings like sea salt and cracked pepper to get some flavor. Google salt free seasoning recipes and you will see all kind sof seasonings you can make from cajun to herbs de provence. Start to grow you own herbs if you can--they are very inexpensive to get started, easy to maintain and most are year round if you bring inside during the winter months--or they will come back to life the next season if you leave outside. Fresh herbs are great for adding flavor, healthier than using oils and spreads and also easy to dry so you have a steady supply.

jaywalker Rookie

You can use Ghee!!!

It's butter fat, not lactose or casein so you should be safe. I use it without any trouble. You can buy it, or if $$ is tight, make it. Google 'making ghee"---it involves heating the butter at a certain temp and pace to get down to the fat. I did it---easy as pie....oh man, pie :( ....I remember pie :D wouldn't we all love some pie right now....sigh...

OOps. i forgot your kind suggestion. call me an awkward bleeder, but i was lacto-vegetarian before i became dairy intolerant. Since the intolerance has finally pushed me into be totally vegan, i can't bring myself to go back again. i've visited a dairy farm, and really hate the way the cows are treated. that's why i forgot about the ghee.

thanks, anyway :)

MStalnaker1 Newbie

Hmm. I don't want to repeat the same mistake I made with gluten (eliminated it and then asked for a test)

Is there a test for soya allergy? and does anybody know is this available on the British NHS? (I am totally broke)

Jaywalker... I did the same thing and I recently posted something asking for advice. I eliminated it (after chronic constipation) and started going, but stopped again. I'm supposed to get tested tonight, so I added gluten to my lunch... What exactly did you do that was the mistake? Did you test negative and then later find out it was a false negative??

IrishHeart Veteran

OOps. i forgot your kind suggestion. call me an awkward bleeder, but i was lacto-vegetarian before i became dairy intolerant. Since the intolerance has finally pushed me into be totally vegan, i can't bring myself to go back again. i've visited a dairy farm, and really hate the way the cows are treated. that's why i forgot about the ghee.

thanks, anyway :)

In my humble opinion, I am surrounded by dairy farms and their cows are treated extremely well. The farmers are good to them :) In India, the cow is revered and ghee is sacred food...Not all cows are treated poorly....

Soy is one of the worst foods you can eat, but you probably don't want to hear about that...so, I'll not give you my two cents.

Most of all, I certainly respect your decision to be/eat whatever you wish....my good friend is a vegan and she's healthy as a horse (haha)

best wishes!

jaywalker Rookie

I don't know about the UK, but in the US "vegetable oil" almost always means soybean oil.

Unfortunately, i've just done some research and found out what is in that spread, apart from soya oil ...sunflower oil aaaaaand.........palm oil :(

i know that i can still tolerate sunflower oil, cos i've been eating chips cooked in sunflower oil

(Loads of them,lately, cos baked potatoes started making me ill....guess why?) my doctor agrees that it can't be the soya oil(since i tolerate soya milk) so it must be the palm oil. also, i just checked a few other things in my cupboard, and it looks like palm oil is used in most things over here. *sigh*

you have some nice ideas though. thanks :)

i don't use gluten-free bread cos it's way beyond my pocket, but i do really like to to add margerine to my baked potatoes and stuff.

i used to grow my own herbs, but i'm too unsettled where i am (and far too fatigued) to start a new garden. Dried herbs are easy to come by, and fairly cheap though, and i do use them quite a lot :)

thanks for all the tips

jaywalker Rookie

Jaywalker... I did the same thing and I recently posted something asking for advice. I eliminated it (after chronic constipation) and started going, but stopped again. I'm supposed to get tested tonight, so I added gluten to my lunch... What exactly did you do that was the mistake? Did you test negative and then later find out it was a false negative??

Ummm. you're supposed to be on a normal diet for three months, prior to the test, to get a positive result....and even then there are plenty of false negs.

My mistake was to wait to wait til the symptoms were so severe i had no real option but go gluten-free, in a desperate attempt to be get myself fit enough to work, before i asked for a dx. To make matters worse, I delayed going for the test cos i'm needle-phobic. I got a negative result. So I'm still not formally diagnosed and i still can't get gluten-free food on prescription (though my doctor does actually accept that i can't tolerate gluten)

My doctor hasn't offerered me a test for this, anyway. :( And i can't afford to go private, so that's that.

I do hope you have better luck.

MStalnaker1 Newbie

Ummm. you're supposed to be on a normal diet for three months, prior to the test, to get a positive result....and even then there are plenty of false negs.

My mistake was to wait to wait til the symptoms were so severe i had no real option but go gluten-free, in a desperate attempt to be get myself fit enough to work, before i asked for a dx. To make matters worse, I delayed going for the test cos i'm needle-phobic. I got a negative result. So I'm still not formally diagnosed and i still can't get gluten-free food on prescription (though my doctor does actually accept that i can't tolerate gluten)

My doctor hasn't offerered me a test for this, anyway. :( And i can't afford to go private, so that's that.

I do hope you have better luck.

Well, given that I spent 2 years like this... and only went 4 days w/o it... maybe I'll still have the antibodies present for the test. If not... then maybe I don't have it! I do know one thing though... I know my body, and even if I'm diagnosed with not having it... I do have a problem w/ gluten. I've never felt better, or more regular than when I stopped eating it...

mushroom Proficient

You should be okay with only four days gluten free :)

MStalnaker1 Newbie

You should be okay with only four days gluten free :)

Thanks! I hope so! I would like conclusive test results, either way! This is the only test I've ever heard of (besides a pregnancy test, of course) that often comes out negative when people actually do have the issue...

• 1 month later...
jaywalker Rookie

Jusy adding a quick update:

After keeping a food diary, I now find that I'm having reactions to all vegetable oils (including Sunflower oil...except for Sainsbury's Oven chips in sunflower oil, oddly) as well as peanuts, cocoa, rice and maize!

I don;t know if some of these reactions might be due to products being packed in a factory that handles nuts, or whatever. It's getting really hard to find foods that i can eat!

My Doctor has now referered me to an allergy clinic thank goodness!

Archived