This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gerd And Celiac Disease

Oukvekpwv

Oukvekpwv Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the site and trying to figure stuff out. I apologise if the topic was already posted I'm sure it already has but I'm just mostly introducing myself and making conversation.

Over the past year or so I have lost 109lbs, almost to goal weight, have a few more to go. Around 6 months or so ago I was diagnosed by my doctor with GERD, it took a little bit to find a medicine that worked but after I found one it worked for the most part and I was alright. A few months into taking the medicine everyonce in a while I still have had a bad night. Most recently, this past week or so, my stomach has been negativly active in more ways than one. Something made me rethink why these things were happening or maybe think of that maybe a few things were happening at once. Something told me to look up Celiac Disease to see if the symptoms could be something that matched what I was going through. I don't know if it is just late night pain ridden delirium that I was thinking I might have Celiac Disease or not but some of the symptoms seemed to match some of the recent things that have been happening to me. I haven't seen a GI yet partially because I was afraid that GERD was still considered a pre-existing condition under my health insurance and wasn't sure if everything would be covered, and my doctor said it could wait if the medicine was working. But still feeling these things are a bit beyond my tolerance, and I fear that prolonged non-treatment would be dangerous. I plan to call to make an appointment with my doctor today to discuss what is happening and when I could get to see a GI.

I've read that to properly diagnose Celiac Disease it would be best to go about a normal diet, so I didn't make any changes yet. I guess I will see how it goes. It's hard for me to tell because I can't seem to pinpoint what foods are affecting me, some foods I can tell, but other times by body still reacts.

Is or has anyone gone through anything like that? or know much about the relationship between GERD and Celiac Disease?

thanks, Nice to meet everyone,

PS. Is there a way to make my contact info private on my profile, or is it already but I just see my info? I never knew of a forum that required info like that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Only you can see the profile info. Log yourself out & come back and click on your picture in this post. You can see what everyone sees. Click other members pictures, like mine, & you can't see my address.

Oukvekpwv Newbie

Only you can see the profile info. Log yourself out & come back and click on your picture in this post. You can see what everyone sees. Click other members pictures, like mine, & you can't see my address.

oh cool alright, thanks :D

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I've treated my GERD as a normal thing I get to live with for 15 years now, only recently finding it's gone away with a gluten free diet. I've spent a LOT of money on GERD drugs over the years!! It was so severe I worried about ulcers often, and it'd started making me gag and vomit. I have a bunch of other symptoms, so GERD was the "normal" "easy to treat" problem, so doctors never saw it as a symptom of a bigger issue. It's definitely lot normal, though.

Oukvekpwv Newbie

I've treated my GERD as a normal thing I get to live with for 15 years now, only recently finding it's gone away with a gluten free diet. I've spent a LOT of money on GERD drugs over the years!! It was so severe I worried about ulcers often, and it'd started making me gag and vomit. I have a bunch of other symptoms, so GERD was the "normal" "easy to treat" problem, so doctors never saw it as a symptom of a bigger issue. It's definitely lot normal, though.

Yea, Even the generic medicine can get a bit pricey.. at first I was worried about ulcers until I learned that long term non-treatment/reducing of symptoms can lead to cancer, and so could Celiac Disease I hear, so the cancer is a bigger deal to me. My grandmother and father had GERD I dont know if they had Celiac Disease. My grandmother died of cancer I'm assuming stemming from her GI issues but the cancer was found too late to worry about where it started.

I at times have that nausious gagging feeling. The worst is the horrible abdominal pain, its the worst most vivid pain I've ever experienced, is the pain the same for untreated Celiac Disease? I wonder.. Even if it turns out that I am negative I am still considering a diet change, gluten free possibly even vegan.. I've been eating healthier for a while now, its somewhat discouraging to think that its not healthy enough not to be in pain or intestinal discomfort.

mommida Enthusiast

You are right stay on a "normal" diet for testing.

There seems to be many links between Celiac and other disorders.

Some Celiacs who have started the gluten free diet have noticed that their GERD resolves.

You really didn't go into much detail about your symptoms but since you say Celiac fits them there are other disorders with these symptoms....

Hernia

H. Ployri

parasites

Eosinophilic Gastro. disorders (*gluten can be a "trigger" for these eosinophils*)

this is just a short list, but enough reason to go for further testing.

Good luck with testing and I hope you find answers for a speedy recovery!

beebs Enthusiast

I had extremely severe GERD for years...really bad and was medicated but still eating a packet of tums a day and still getting it all the time. It felt like a heart attack and caused Jaw pain. Anyhow - when I went Gluten free my GERD was gone within a day. No kidding. I have to have an endo to check for damage to the Esophagus, but it is amazing the difference.

You deffo need to get yourself into a GI though. If you have GERD there is a 20% chance of developing Barrett's Esophagus - which are precancerous cells - not something to muck about with..and if you can find whats causing it all the better. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I had very bad GERD. I went on prescription meds and after a while one would stop working and I'd go on another. It was real bad when I was eating gluten. It's the first symptom that settled down once I went gluten free.

I haven't been gluten free for long..just over two weeks. I'm hoping at some point I can go off medication?

redheadsmom Rookie

I also suffer from GERD and have been every RX PPI out there over the last 7-8 years. I'm currently on Prevacid. I'm 1 week into being gluten free and so far I haven't noticed any difference but I'm also being treated for SIBO right now too so I'm hoping within the next few weeks I will start seeing some improvement with my GERD.

Jessica

Archived