This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good gluten-free Pizza Crust Recipe!

zus888

zus888 Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

Really Goooood!!! I was SURE I was going to hate it because it doesn't rise at all and I'm not sure why yeast is even used. I'm using a pizza pan with holes in it. I also added parm cheese and garlic powder to the crust.

I generally don't like a thin crust, but it was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I'll need to double or triple the recipe next time because the pizza is pretty small.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ElseB Contributor

Here's another one:

Open Original Shared Link

I love this one because its easier to work with - its more like a batter than a dough. I get too frustrated with pizza dough because its so sticky.

sa1937 Community Regular

See, Suzanna, you can have pizza!!! Let's see...now you need angel food cake?

Both recipes sound good and I've printed both of them.

zus888 Contributor

Yes, Sylvia! I couldn't stand it any longer - the cravings for those foods. I think I ate 5 slices of pizza tonight. I bought all the necessary ingredients for one angelfood cake recipe. The pictures look good, but there are no reviews on the recipe. Once I conquer those two recipes, I think I'll start feeling a little more positive about my diet! That is, until the holidays are upon us! ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes, Sylvia! I couldn't stand it any longer - the cravings for those foods. I think I ate 5 slices of pizza tonight. I bought all the necessary ingredients for one angelfood cake recipe. The pictures look good, but there are no reviews on the recipe. Once I conquer those two recipes, I think I'll start feeling a little more positive about my diet! That is, until the holidays are upon us! ;)

Glad you finally satisified that craving!!! I also craved pizza but was trying to avoid dairy right away. So when I finally did make it, I pigged out, too. :lol: Now I make it quite often.

You'll have to let us know how the angel food cake goes...I haven't made one yet. When the holidays are near, I'm sure someone will come up with lots of things you can make!

Katrala Contributor

Wonderful recipe! I've been using it almost every Friday night over the past 2 months and my kids and I both love it!

It certainly heats up better than most gluten-free crusts as well!

I also melt butter and add garlic powder and salt and brush it on the crust when it comes out of the oven the final time - reminds me of Domino's crust.

I have even brushed it on before the 2nd cooking and it made the crust crispy (but easy to burn if you don't watch it.)

zus888 Contributor

Wonderful recipe! I've been using it almost every Friday night over the past 2 months and my kids and I both love it!

It certainly heats up better than most gluten-free crusts as well!

I also melt butter and add garlic powder and salt and brush it on the crust when it comes out of the oven the final time - reminds me of Domino's crust.

I have even brushed it on before the 2nd cooking and it made the crust crispy (but easy to burn if you don't watch it.)

I've noticed that it doesn't rise, despite the yeast. I'm considering letting it rise for 30 minutes next time OR doubling the recipe to make for a thicker crust. Have you tried either of these?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I've noticed that it doesn't rise, despite the yeast. I'm considering letting it rise for 30 minutes next time OR doubling the recipe to make for a thicker crust. Have you tried either of these?

I haven't made this recipe but most recipes involving yeast require you to "proof" the yeast first and also let it rise. This recipe just has you throwing everything into the bowl and mixing it, which explains why the crust didn't rise at all. Which is really strange because it has all the components you need to proof the yeast first. Ideally, what you should do is mix all the dry ingredients except the yeast. Then mix yeast, warm water and few tablespoons of the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes or until it's bubbly and smells yeasty. Then mix the proofed yeast with the dry ingredinets and everything else, spread it out on the pan and let it rise for 30 minutes. The recipe I use for gluten-free pizza (King Arthur's gluten-free recipe) has two rises--you let it rise for 30 minutes in the bowl after mixing (covered in a warm spot) and then spread on pan and let it rise a second time. Proofing the yeast and letting it rise at least once should help the recipe a lot. Let us know how it works if you try it!

zus888 Contributor

Well, I *did* proof the yeast. I just can't, in good conscience, not do that. Doesn't matter what the recipe says, I put the yeast in warm water along with some sugar and let it get frothy. I was wondering why it didn't require any rising. I might try this next time. That's how I would do it with "normal" dough. Plus, I would think it would be easier to work with once it rises. I'll bet it turns out a lot better if I do that. I'll let you all know!

• 2 weeks later...
CurlyCyn83 Newbie

I'm super excited to try out the recipe you posted Suzanna. My one weakness is pizza and if I can find a delicious replacement, then it will be much easier for me to stay gluten-free.

I plan on trying to make this pizza this weekend... key word "Try". I'm not the best cook. :-)

I love ranch sauce and red sauce, but am not sure what brand to use. Any recommendations? Thank you

Archived