This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burger Joint - Gluten Free Buns - Same Toaster?

kellynolan82

kellynolan82 Explorer

I have celiac/coeliac disease. I have a local burger joint that just opened up (they are part of a chain) and they offer gluten free buns. The gluten free buns aren't too bad for being gluten free, however they do use the same toaster for toasting them as the regular buns. Almost all of the hamburgers are gluten free and they also offer chips that are deep fried separately.

On the odd occasion (i.e. < monthly) do you think this would be a safe place to go, provided one followed a strict gluten free diet the rest of the time?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Why don't you just talk to them and explain the correct way to handle the gluten-free buns?

Skylark Collaborator

I agree. I would explain that crumbs from a shared toaster make celiacs sick and order the bun not toasted until they sort things out.

kellynolan82 Explorer

I will see what I can do. Someone on another site just suggested Simply Delightful. I'm not sure whether you can order from them over here in Australia but I'm sure they'd be useful! B)

mbrookes Community Regular

What is Simply Delightful? I am not familiar with that.

weluvgators Explorer

When we traveled to Australia, we found some difficulty in finding restaurants that understood the finer details of "gluten free" food preparation. One of our first stops, I was excited to see that they offered gluten free bread, and we ordered some. They then proceeded to toast it in the shared toaster oven . . . sigh . . . but then one of them realized their error and proceeded to get me new "gluten free" bread and toasted it on a sheet of aluminum foil - at least it would prevent direct contact that way! My kids ate a couple of bites, but it just wasn't worth trying to eat the stuff being afraid of it! We ended up throwing it away - nothing worth getting sick for. You could wrap in foil or find a toaster bag, but all of that "handling" is simply introducing more room for error!

I am amazed that they have a gluten free hamburger! We never did find one safe to eat while traveling there, so if they are indeed a safe burger, we would get a burger with lettuce, tomato, all of the fixings - some places in the states make a really awesome "protein" version with sufficient lettuce wrapped around the burger and fixings to pick it up and eat it - we love our burgers that way! And a dedicated fryer - what a find!! We are finding dedicated fryers to be a thing of the past where we are now. What is the name of this chain??

kellynolan82 Explorer

What is Simply Delightful? I am not familiar with that.

It's a brand that manufactures liners to protect from cross-contamination. You can find them via Google Search ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kellynolan82 Explorer

What is the name of this chain??

Grill'd is the name of the chain.

Mack the Knife Explorer

Grill'd have no idea about cc. Stay far, far away from them.

Not only do they us the same toaster, but they also use the same spatulas to spread the toppings on gluten-free and non-gluten-free buns and double dip continually.

They also hold the non-gluten-free buns over the toppings containers while they spread them. I've seen them do this and watched in horror as big chunks of toasted bun fell into the toppings.

Where in Australia are you? I'm in Melbourne and I get my burgers from either SACS or Black Ruby. Both places are 100% gluten free and their burgers are good. I don't think I'd trust anywhere else.

kellynolan82 Explorer

Not only do they us the same toaster, but they also use the same spatulas to spread the toppings on gluten-free and non-gluten-free buns and double dip continually.

They also hold the non-gluten-free buns over the toppings containers while they spread them. I've seen them do this and watched in horror as big chunks of toasted bun fell into the toppings.

Where in Australia are you? I'm in Melbourne and I get my burgers from either SACS or Black Ruby. Both places are 100% gluten free and their burgers are good. I don't think I'd trust anywhere else.

Right now, for the past week, I've been in Melbourne.

kellynolan82 Explorer

Do you think, if they aren't busy, that they'd be willing to microwave your gluten free bun instead? I'll be back in Canberra soon and I think they may have one (or two) up there now too?!

Perhaps they could also handle the meats separately (and use separate condiment pots (though I find it highly unlikely the staff would accommodate to this level)). I think the only safe option is the 'chips' - at least for now anyway... :unsure::blink:

Mack the Knife Explorer

Do you think, if they aren't busy, that they'd be willing to microwave your gluten free bun instead? I'll be back in Canberra soon and I think they may have one (or two) up there now too?!

The bun is the most easily solved problem. Grill'd use a conveyer belt toaster (which is always COVERED in crumbs - so they just need to put your bun on a piece of baking paper when they put it through.

I don't think the meats will be a problem there. Most of the veggie burgers contain gluten so maybe check that they don't cook them on the same grill as the meat.

It's the toppings that are the big problem. Maybe talk to the manager at your local store and discuss the cc issue.

Mack the Knife Explorer

I'll be back in Canberra soon and I think they may have one (or two) up there now too?

What about Deeks? That gluten free bakery in Canberra. Do they do burgers?

I believe that Burger Fuel and Lord of the Fries both offer gluten free buns now. I don't know about their cc awareness though.

kellynolan82 Explorer

What about Deeks? That gluten free bakery in Canberra. Do they do burgers?

I don't think they do burgers. Their gluten free buns aren't that great, though IMO :unsure:

I believe that Burger Fuel and Lord of the Fries both offer gluten free buns now. I don't know about their cc awareness though.

I took BurgerFuel to task over their false gluten free advertising a while back. Some of their NZ locations use separate toasters, but none in Sydney do. They also state that their Fries are safe even though they're cooked in the same oil as their beer-battered fries and 'motobites' which both contain gluten. Don't know about Lord of the Fries though.

• 4 weeks later...
anabananakins Explorer

Burger Fuel were actually pretty good when I went to them soon after going gluten free. The girl who took my order made sure that I knew the fries were cooked in the same oil as the microbites and that this was an issue. Being new to the whole thing and undiagnosed I was sure I'd be fine and the fries were the best part imo - ha! That was hands down my absolute worst glutening ever.

I had the gluten free bun another time with no problems - they toasted on foil for me. But I don't like the taste of their gluten free buns so I've not bothered going back.

I had an awesome burger AND safe fries at the Village Haus at Disneyland last week. Disneyland is an absolute joy for the gluten intolerant but even so, I hadn't expected a gluten free bun to taste so good.

Archived