Kelby

Celiac But No Lactose Issues

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

I have had celiac for a while now and unfortunately I knew this but never really paid too much attention to it. Recently I randomly decided to pursue the gluten free diet again and so far so good. I feel better but there are many more steps that I want to do to ensure smooth sailing from here on out. I am going to get a new toaster, and clean my counters with anti-bacterial soap etc.

One of the things I have been reading a lot about is the issue of lactose for celiacs. I have never had an issue with lactose, and even when I switched back to the gluten free diet, I havent had any issues.

Can anybody clarify if I NEED to go lactose free for a while or not?

Thanks,

KM

You don't need to eliminate lactose or dairy unless it bothers you. I had blunted villi on my scope three years ago and I never had any issues with lactose. I did eliminate it at one point to see if it was causing me issues and it was not. However during that time frame I got out of the habit of drinking milk and eating it on cereal. Now it is just a treat. I do cook and bake with it and eat yogurt and cheese with no issues though.

I went dairy lite for a couple of months. I didn't eat grilled cheese or a slice of cheese on my sandwich or my eggs. Had milk in my coffee. If hub made burgers, I ate a piece of cheese on them. Ate some pizza or a little cheese on pasta. Didn't drink any chocolate milk. Seemed OK for me.

Hey guys,

I have had celiac for a while now and unfortunately I knew this but never really paid too much attention to it. Recently I randomly decided to pursue the gluten free diet again and so far so good. I feel better but there are many more steps that I want to do to ensure smooth sailing from here on out. I am going to get a new toaster, and clean my counters with anti-bacterial soap etc.

One of the things I have been reading a lot about is the issue of lactose for celiacs. I have never had an issue with lactose, and even when I switched back to the gluten free diet, I havent had any issues.

Can anybody clarify if I NEED to go lactose free for a while or not?

Thanks,

KM

I think most people eliminate lactose because they still have some symptoms when they go gluten-free. If it doesn't bother you (and you have no mystery symptoms you can't pin down) then no need to cut it out. Enjoy just being gluten-free!

Just re- read your post. Anti bacterial won't " kill" gluten. It just makes it germ less. If you think there is a lot of flour, cheap white vinegar cleans well. Sort of dissolves it so you can rinse it away.

After three or four months gluten free, I still had immediate issues. I cut out dairy products and it resolved. A couple of months later, no issues. ;)

All is great and wonderful. :)

Thank you so much everybody! I feel bad just coming here and having my first post be asking for advice I felt bad, but i really appreciate the input. Awesome idea for a forum right here.

I went grain and gluten free and saw improvements. 3 months later though I now find that my diet has become dairy heavy and I am starting to get stomach aches again. I originally thought I had no problems with dairy but now I am wondering if I do as the symptoms are worse at times when I have consumed a lot of dairy produce. I seem to be ok with small amounts of it, but not large amounts. For now I am going to try reducing the amount I eat and switching to goats milk for a while instead. Goats milk seems to be a bit gentler and is nicer than cows milk anyway lol.