This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Magnesium

bny06

bny06 Apprentice

So i'm awaiting my biopsy results which I should get this week, however I have been wracking my brain trying to think why am I overall feeling better (3.5 weeks or so on gluten free diet) but my muscles seem weaker when I use them a lot.. then I started thinking, the only day that I have felt better as far as my muscle weakness/twitching goes was the day I got scoped- after drinking Magnesium prep! Maybe I finally figured out what is causing this!! Anyone take a magnesium supplement, and if so what kind and how much do you take? can you take too much? Thanks so much for ANY advice!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Yep, we generally are low in the magnesium department. You can take supplements and may have to to start with until you can get your diet figured out. Look up magnesium rich fruits and foods and try to incorporate them into your diet and you'll find the twitches will go away completely!

gfreelady Newbie

Vitamin deficiancy is an issue with all of us. A one a day should be fine but I also take magnesium. My dr told me that without enough of it, you dont poop

bny06 Apprentice

Thanks yall!! I started taking magnesium malate supplements two days ago and I have to say that my muscle twitches do seem to be better already, though my muscle weakness in my hands is defintely not changed, which freaks me out!!!! gfreelady- I wish constipation was my issue! I'm not quite 4 weeks out on my gluten free diet and unfortuntely have to use the facilities up to 8-10 times a day ughh..so i want the muscle stuff gone like yesterday, but I don't want it to cause me to have to use the restroom anymore than I already am thats for sure!!

mushroom Proficient

If I don't take magnesium supplements I always end up with calf cramps.

Lori2 Contributor

If I don't take magnesium supplements I always end up with calf cramps.

Me too. Without a magnesium supplement I get leg cramps and twitches. But if I take enough of a regular magnesium supplement to stop the cramps, I get diarrhea--most magnesium supplements are 10% absorbed. I found a magnesium product that is advertised to be 99% absorbable. It works for me, I can use as much as I need to stop my cramps without any diarrhea problems. Google Angstrom Minerals.

Cinnamongirl Rookie

Ive been taking Cal-Citrate for several years which contains both calcium and magnesium and it has an overall relaxing effect on me. It helps keep me regular and calms me down when I feel anxious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks yall!! I started taking magnesium malate supplements two days ago and I have to say that my muscle twitches do seem to be better already, though my muscle weakness in my hands is defintely not changed, which freaks me out!!!! gfreelady- I wish constipation was my issue! I'm not quite 4 weeks out on my gluten free diet and unfortuntely have to use the facilities up to 8-10 times a day ughh..so i want the muscle stuff gone like yesterday, but I don't want it to cause me to have to use the restroom anymore than I already am thats for sure!!

BNY06, at 4 weeks on a gluten-free diet and still making 8-10 trips to the bathroom, I am wondering if it is not just gluten effecting you. If your diet has been tight you might want to explore going off dairy as well just to see if it too could be causing you issues.

bny06 Apprentice

thanks yall... avr- I have stayed off dairy for about three weeks now- I realized after eating a huge bowl of ice cream a couple of times about 4 weeks ago to try and ingest calories and then my tummy getting REALLY mad at me, that diary must also be an issue! Do the bathroom trips usually slow by almost 4 weeks?? I have just figured I had so much damage that it would take more time.. but I'm SOO ready for more improvement! I am overall feeling better (with the exception of the worsening hand weakness- again freaking me out completely) I am not feeling like my blood sugars are tanking throughout the day like they were, overall my genearlized weakness and icky feeling feels better... it's defintely starting to mentally wear me down a little that My hnads aren't getting better

color-me-confused Explorer

For some reason if I take a magnesium tablet (Mg oxide, I think it is) at night I sleep very deeply.

Reba32 Rookie

magnesium is a relaxant. It can help with the twitches, but too much can cause diarrhea, so be careful.

Potassium can also help with the twitches. Half an avocado should help.

bny06 Apprentice

thanks!!! Yea, i was taking too much and unfortuantely was causing more GI issues.. but did help the muscles.. I eat at least an avacado a day or so.. and about three bananas ha! Sooo.. i'll ask my dr if they can rx any magnesium that doesn't cause any GI upset, i'm not a fan of the twitches, though I can totally live with it of course!

Archived