This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Pancreatic Cancer

Roda

Roda Rising Star

Wow! :( My husband recieved some bad news this evening. His father called to tell him that he has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It has already metastasized to his liver. My husbands paternal grandfather also died of pancreatic and stomach cancer.

I think there is more at play here. I find it eerily similar to what his grandfather had. I definately think some genetics are at play. I don't know much more about the family history.

I am wondering if there could possibly be a link to undiagnosed celiac? Of course I could be looking at it with my celiac blinders on since I swear, I see signs of celiac in so many people everywhere all the time.(It really is annoying, but I keep it to myself and I didn't even say anything to my husband about it).

I've been very emotional since we found out the news. I think the hardest thing for me is seeing my husband so upset and sad. When he hurts, I hurt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I'm sorry for your husband but I think your apparent conjecture that both these people had undiagnosed celiac AND that the celiac caused pancreatic cancer in both is more than a major stretch. People with undiagnosed celiac do have a higher chance for certain types of cancer (not sure that pancreatic is among them) but even then the chance is very small.

richard

Roda Rising Star

I wasn't insinuating that they both had undiagnosed celiac and that it CAUSED their cancer. I was wanting opinions on whether there was any link. Now I have one. I realize it is was probably a long stretch and even stated I may have "blinders".

mommida Enthusiast

My dad just got diagnosed with stage four cancer after he collapsed this December. Information is sketchy at best, because I have to hear everything at least 3rd hand.

What does seem to be common as cancer is spreading through the body that the belly fat gets attacked too. This was the way it was for my uncle and now my father.

I know what you mean about looking for a more concrete connection because it really seems to have a hereditary connection. Maybe it is just how your blood lines fight cancer. Perhaps it is environmental exposure. (both family members worked for the same auto company)

Any underlaying illness not properly treated is going to cause problems and sometimes there is a cancer connection. Celiac and H.Ployri (untreated) have been associated with cancer. (not pancreatic cancer specifically)

My theory that there is a connection between Eosinophilic Esophagitus and Celiac has been proven. ;)

So ((HUGS)) to you and your family at this difficult time!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm so sorry, Roda.

Yes, its hard not to look for the "why" when it comes to Cancer.

Hang in there, take it one day at a time. Vent as needed.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm so sorry to hear this. Your husband must be in a terrible state. :(

I have never seen a link suggested between untreated celiac and pancreatic cancer. Drinking and smoking are risk factors, and it can run in families to some extent.

Roda Rising Star

Thanks for all the thoughts. They mean a lot. When someone is hurting I think it is natural to want to find something, even if it is a long stretch, to help rationalize or find a reason for it. There is a lot of cancer in his family, so I do think there is to some degree a genetic predisposition.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

auzzi Newbie
Open Original Shared Link

Archived