Debbie48

Checking On An Item

Rate this topic

Is Hy-Vee Whole grain brown rice gluten free?

Sorry for the dumb question from this very ill newbie. I planned to make a chicken and rice dish from one of the cookbooks recommended by you good people. When I double-checked my Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide, it lists Hy-Vee Instand Brown and Natural Long Grain Brown rice, but not the Whole Grain Brown Rice I purchased.

I know I'm overthinking all this, but my son has to eat this diet too and I really don't want to mess up.

Thank so much.

Debbie

Is Hy-Vee Whole grain brown rice gluten free?

Sorry for the dumb question from this very ill newbie. I planned to make a chicken and rice dish from one of the cookbooks recommended by you good people. When I double-checked my Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide, it lists Hy-Vee Instand Brown and Natural Long Grain Brown rice, but not the Whole Grain Brown Rice I purchased.

I know I'm overthinking all this, but my son has to eat this diet too and I really don't want to mess up.

Thank so much.

Debbie

This is something that I would call the company about. They have such an extensive list http://www.hy-vee.com/webres/File/Gluten-Free-Listing0211.pdf so they either missed this product or it does have gluten in it. Plain Rice shouldn't but the words "whole grain" are unusual and got my attention.

Hi, Debbie. Is there anything on the label other than rice? If the label just says "rice" I would eat it. I've never used a shopping list for rice because plain old rice with nothing else on the label is safe.

• Upvote 1

This is something that I would call the company about. They have such an extensive list http://www.hy-vee.com/webres/File/Gluten-Free-Listing0211.pdf so they either missed this product or it does have gluten in it. Plain Rice shouldn't but the words "whole grain" are unusual and got my attention.

I went to their website, and on the same page with their gluten free offerings, there was a disclaimer that is it was thought to be correct as of November 2011.

The ingredients just say "whole grain brown rice".

Thanks for the Hy-Vee link.

Wish I just knew for sure about foods. I'm spending way too much time in the store and I can't think clearly right now.

I appreciate the replies.

Debbie

That would be gluten-free, but as noted, it is an odd wording. Brown rice is brown BECAUSE it is the whole grain. White rice has the husk (which is brown) removed. So it is redundant, but maybe the marketing folks think "whole grain" will sell to people who don't know what brown rice is.

It is safe to eat. :)