Sparky84

Attempt To Go Straight Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Well I have had stomach issues all my life (started with GERD as an infant). About 2 years ago my doctor determined I have celiac. I have been doing a gluten free diet, most of the time, but would always eat normal for a day or two on the weekends (and yes I would suffer from it). It would always be worth the pain for me just to be able to eat normal with my family for a day. Well those days are catching up with me it seems and I can no longer eat "normal" without getting really sick. Also I have been doing more research and realize the health concerns I could have if I continue to eat that way.

Another problem I have is what I believe is called oral allergy syndrom. It all started about 10 years ago when I would eat apple my lips and mouth would start to burn a little. That has now turned into swelling and intense burning when I eat raw apples, bananas, pears, watermelon, etc. almost all fruits and now even almonds and some other nuts.

I can eat cheese (straight, cottage, cream, etc.) and not have any problems but it seems ice cream or drinking straight milk has a poor effect on me and also makes me sick.

Basically I am feeling sorta depressed about this whole situation but know I need to change my lifestyle so I can be around for my family for hopefully many years. Sorry for the rant but it is going to be a hard adjustment. Look forward to searching this site for tips and helpful info.

Its totally normal to feel like that! I know I did!

I still think longingly for gluten sometimes but I no longer feel sad or overwhelmed about it!

Good Luck! The other food issues may go away after you are gluten free for awhile!

I have celiac, oral allergy syndrome, and am lactose intolerant. You CAN do it! Eating gluten on the weekends is going to slowly kill you. You have to eat gluten free, no cheating!!! it will get easier as you go along, and in time you will be able to accept that you can't eat those foods. For now, stay strong and know it will get better! :)

I'm glad to hear you understand the dangers of eating gluten now. I wish it were as simple as tolerating being a little sick, but this isn't a diet where we can have a day off. :( It's often easier if you make or buy gluten-free versions of your favorite foods. It will help keep you from feeling deprived. There is a recipe section on the board where you can ask if you can't find a recipe.

You need to be careful of cross-contamination in the kitchen too if your family is still eating gluten. Crumbs in the butter or mayo can be enough to damage you. You need your own condiments and I would not recommend doing any baking or cooking for the family with wheat flour. It gets into the air and goes everywhere in your kitchen. You need your own cutting board, your own toaster or toaster bags to keep your bread clean of crumbs, a separate colander for gluten-free pasta (they are too hard to clean!), and don't use porous things you can't wash well like wooden spoons in gluten-free food.

It sounds like you're lactose intolerant if you can have cheese but not milk or ice cream. That's really common if your villi are damaged and it can go away if you are strict on the gluten-free diet. Have you tried Lactaid milk?

I used to have a little oral allergy to cantaloupe and ripe bananas. It stopped being a problem after I had been gluten-free for a couple years.

Thanks for the replies. I think my main mission here is going to be planning. If I can plan my entire week of food I believe it will be a lot easier to keep with the diet, otherwise I always find myself in the "there's nothing to eat" mindset. One hard thing for me is I work on the road everynight and planning what I can bring in a cooler usually is difficult, can't wait to find some type of gluten free bread so I can make a sandwich!

If there's nowhere you can buy it locally, there are plenty of places you can mail-order bread. The sponsor of this message board, http://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/, has a wide selection. I'd recommend Udi's or Rudi's for sandwiches. They have a good texture. You can also make bread from a mix like Bob's Red Mill or Pamela's.

Remember that cut veggies, plain potato chips or corn chips, fruit, and nuts are all naturally gluten-free and good to throw in a cooler. You can also throw in meat, cheese and rice cakes or corn tortillas if you find yourself out of sandwich bread. Another option is to warm some dinner leftovers and put them in a thermos.

I love Udi's for grilled cheese and french toast but not so much for cold sandwiches. I just prefer Rudi's for that. Not sure if they're still available but last I looked Rudi's has $2 off coupons on their facebook.

I've always been a pasta lover, Tinkyada holds up well enough to make cold pasta salads which would work well for a packed lunch. (I have leftover chicken alfredo with me today.) Also, if you are up to baking check out the gluten free Bisquick recipes. A lot of them would make wonderful things to bring along. I just made the coconut pie 2 nights ago and it is absolutely to die for. Muddy buddies also make a great portable (if mildly messy) snack.

I bought some Udi's bread and had a sandwich today. I warmed up the bread for about 10 seconds in the microwave before I made it which made the bread soft. Only odd thing to me is the size of the slice of bread. Is it made for little kids??!!!

Only odd thing to me is the size of the slice of bread. Is it made for little kids??!!!

:) We thought the same thing when we first started eating Udi's -- now other folks sandwiches look huge to us! My family's favorite bread has switched to Canyon Bakehouse if it is available near you -- it is sold in the "fresh" bread section of our Sprouts (used to be Henry's) Store -- guess it has been around for a little while but I was so trained to go to the frozen section for Udi's I missed when they started selling it.

We still keep a stock of Udi's in the freezer as I try to wait for Canyon Bakehouse to go on sale to stock up!