Rate this topic

I have been eating the peanut and chocolate Zone bars. I don't have celiac. I am wondering if my celiac daughter can eat them. There isn't gluten listed but it says made in a facility that processes wheat. I avoid "same equipment" but is the same facility ok? Anyone eat zone bars?

I have been eating the peanut and chocolate Zone bars. I don't have celiac. I am wondering if my celiac daughter can eat them. There isn't gluten listed but it says made in a facility that processes wheat. I avoid "same equipment" but is the same facility ok? Anyone eat zone bars?

The same facility doesn't bother me, but it's a personal choice based on your (or your daughter's) sensitivity level.

• Upvote 1

She is a silent celiac so it wouldn't bother her. I just wonder if it would do damage. I guess we really don't know.

The same facility doesn't bother me, but it's a personals choice based on your (or your daughter's) sensitivity level.

I have to agree that I guess that would be a personal choice, me myself, I wouldn't eat it. I'm pretty sensitive and avoid any possibility of contamination if possible. It's all in how sensitive she is. I'm not sure how you would gauge if it's hurting her or not, if she's silent. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has some experience in that area. :)

She is a silent celiac so it wouldn't bother her. I just wonder if it would do damage. I guess we really don't know.

If that's the case, I would suggest you stick to companies who are Certified Gluten Free, since there is no way of knowing, due to lack of symptoms.

• Upvote 1

Did she have a positive blood test when she was diagnosed? If so, you might want to look at a yearly recheck to make sure the antibodies are staying where they should.

My son eats the ones that don't list gluten ingredients - his favorite being Double Dark Chocolate and Fudge Graham (does not actually contain graham). He probably eats one a day on average, and his bloodwork remains negative and he is thriving. I consider Zone bars a lifesaver for him, especially while travelling and during sports seasons.

It's been awhile back (maybe 3-4 years since the last time) but I have called the company three separate times to inquire about the bars being gluten-free or not. They were extremely knowledgable but had a prepared response, saying they could not guarantee there was no cross-contamination, but they had very specific procedures to clean their lines thoroughly between ever flavor changes, etc. They also gave me the list of which flavors did not contain gluten ingredients. I was quite satisfied by their response, but like the other poster said, it is a personal choice.

Oh thanks! That helps. There are sometimes when they would be a lifesaver for us too. I have never looked at the graham one due to the name. I get her newest bloodwork back on Tuesday and if we have been doing good so far I will let her try one.