This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Its Official...

shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf Proficient

... I'm not allowed to cook anything whilst i'm sick.

I decided to make pancakes this morning, right? I have to go to the store tommorow and its one of the few things i had left.

I first tested to see if the eggs were still good (2 of the 3 weren't; luckily one was), mixed up the batter, and started to cook them.

The first two turned out well (though the first soaked up the excess oil), so i munched on them whilst the others were cooking. Then my stomach started to bug me (kinda like it does before my GERD acts up). So i decide to drink some milk whilst i was waiting. Yeah... bad idea.

The rest of the pancakes were ruined, my stomach feels like a ticking time bomb (gassy, bloaty mess), and i have class at 8am. TT_TT

I should have just fixed a plain pot of rice, but noooo i wanted to do something more than that.

Dairy didn't bother me at all yesterday -sigh-

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I'm not sick, and I threw together a small 2 -buckwheat cake batch yesterday, and they stuck to the pan as if I had used caulk instead of oil. WTF. :ph34r: So for the second one I added extra oil to the pan, tested the temperature, spooned in the batter, and it still stuck to the pan really badly. :huh: Now I'm ticked, because I used the same buckwheat I had used earlier this week, which doesn't do this at all, and I make up a single third one, being really careful to not use as much yogurt in the batter, and lots of oil, and yet.... it also stuck to the pan. But not quite as much. I have concluded that my spouse is not allowed to clean my cast iron, <_< because I cannot figure out just what the **** he did to it. It should have been a sign when the eggs stuck first, but I thought they were just being eggs and adding more oil and lowering the temperature a little would fix it. :angry:

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm not sick, and I threw together a small 2 -buckwheat cake batch yesterday, and they stuck to the pan as if I had used caulk instead of oil. WTF. :ph34r: So for the second one I added extra oil to the pan, tested the temperature, spooned in the batter, and it still stuck to the pan really badly. :huh: Now I'm ticked, because I used the same buckwheat I had used earlier this week, which doesn't do this at all, and I make up a single third one, being really careful to not use as much yogurt in the batter, and lots of oil, and yet.... it also stuck to the pan. But not quite as much. I have concluded that my spouse is not allowed to clean my cast iron, <_< because I cannot figure out just what the **** he did to it. It should have been a sign when the eggs stuck first, but I thought they were just being eggs and adding more oil and lowering the temperature a little would fix it. :angry:

Sounds like you need to reseason it....

Adalaide Mentor

I don't let other people near my cast iron. If this helps, this is what I do and it is freakin awesome. Open Original Shared Link

It works like a charm and my cast iron is now just like having a brand new nonstick pan. I am very careful to remember not to cook anything acidic in my cast iron though, as much as it kills me. It is a two day project, your house will smell funky, not bad but funky, but it is totally worth it. When you are done the pan comes out with a coating as smooth as a baby's butt, and I simply treat mine like a nonstick pan to be sure not to damage it, which is probably a little extreme.

And for the record, I am also not allowed to cook when I am sick. I get all emotional every time something goes wrong in the kitchen when I'm sick and usually end up crying over stupid stuff that doesn't matter and then ruin my food. I'm just a basket case when I'm sick, I mostly lock myself in my bedroom and eat gluten free ramen.

mushroom Proficient

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! for this post. I have just "oven cleaned" a pan and was wondering how I was going to reseason it (one that hubs had worked his dubious magic on :blink: ) and this popped up on my screen at exactly the right time :)

Adalaide Mentor

I'm still kicking myself. Just after my birthday my MIL was going through some stuff and found an old Griswold cast iron dutch oven that had been her father's and offered it to me. I was like zomg, but contained myself and told her that that sort of thing belongs as a family heirloom and since we won't have any kids of our own (even though I have 2 who aren't her son's kids) that she should maybe offer it to her daughter first. Still kicking myself. I need to learn to shut my fat mouth, not jump for joy like a 2 year old, and just be cool.

Archived