6 replies to this topic

#1 alesusy

alesusy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

That's what my Gastro doctor told me today when I complained that three months and a half gluten-free, I still have- often -  bad or very bad days. "Three months is nothing. You haven't even started rebuilding yet, you're just moving out the ruins" he said.

He also said I might have other problems apart from celiac, of course, but we cannot start understanting if I do nor sorting them out until my gut is better (including testing for other allergies). And that the key word is Patience. And that I certainly have to eat simple things, avoid processed foods and anything which patently does not agree with me, and that I have to eat in a good way if possible - not wolfing my food down nor eating in front of my computer if possible and most certainly not having dinner just before going to bed because that's super work for my feeble gut just when he would like to go to sleep as well (it's definitely a "he" for me), so that obviously I'm getting up tired in the morning. And that possibly some of my problems might not go away, and then we'll have to investigate why, but we cannot do that before my villis are back to normal.

And that in his experience, for an adult, it might take anything from six months to 3 years, but more often between 12 to 18 months. Besides, he said, we don't know how long you've been celiac - how long the condition has worked, that is - before I started having symptoms: it might be some months, it might be several years. Basically, having destroyed villis (I'm classified as a 3-B) does not enable us to understand in how bad a shape my gut actually is.

As you all always say to newbies: hang in there, it will get better. I'm hanging, guys... I just wanted to share all this with you. I particularly liked the metaphore:-). He also said something about having to rebuild the Berlin Wall (to stop the leaky gut) and I didn't make him notice that he was mixing up his historical periods... It's hard to be patient, but in a way, it's nice to know that it just takes time.

(he also said that yes, it is possible that someone might be sensitive to gluten under 20 parts per million, in rare cases, but that if I'm having allergic reactions it is more probably to something else but that's hard to sort out until my gut feels better. So I'll keep my food diary and eliminate everything which looks suspect. It' going to be a long road, babies...)

a.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks!  That is exactly what I needed to hear today.  

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Smart Doctor. I am a fan of the mixed metaphor. I especially like to get hold of wrong end of the stick and proceed to beat about the bush with it. Luckily you doc doesn't.

Good luck with healing (not sure if I can squeeze a reunification reference in here)

Mw
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 Weeber47

Weeber47

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I appreciate this post. I've only been gluten free completely for just over a month, and I feel the same with only a little added energy. On particularly bad days I wonder if I have been glutened or if I am doing wrong. I have another doctors appointment next week and was going to bring that up, but this helped me realize this might take time. I guess I am just a little impatient.

Diagnosed with Celiacs January 2013

Gallbladder Removed May 2013

#5 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Excellent post! Thank you for passing on your doctor's advice. He sounds like a knowledgeable doctor. Waiting to confirm the unknowns until after healing is wise and I'm going to heed his advice. It seems very sound.

Cali

*corrected misspelling ;)
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#6 alesusy

alesusy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

What I'm trying to do is:

I keep a food diary

I don't drink alcohol at all (if I'm out with friends I might try a quarter of a glass but no more than that)

I have almost entirely eliminated coffee and tea, but also Coca Cola and drink orange juice for breakfast

I'm trying to have very little processed food, I bake my own bread and muffins

Non gluten pasta in limited quantities, quinoa rice etc

Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, simple protein food (chicken, beef, fish; parmesan cheese on pasta because I'm lactose intolerant - for now? - but parmesan when seasoned has no lactose)

No dairy (I'm intolerant)

In restaurants I explain everything and typycally eat grilled meat and roasted potatoes, maybe some of my own bread

Travelling is the worse because I do bring stuff with me but it must be processed food (crackers and the like) and I have to rely on apples and bananas....

alessandra

#7 dsr1

dsr1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info alesusy.
I have been on a gluten free diet for 21 months and thought I had 'cracked it' but for the last 9 months my old symptons have returned. My life once again revolves around the nearest loo! This forum is a blessing as I have learned more about my condition from fellow sufferers than any visit to my local doctor here in the UK.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: