This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Too Much Of One Food Cause An Intolerance?

Skittles

Skittles Enthusiast

It seems like I have become intolerant to more and more things since I have been diagnose. I have stuck to a couple main foods that I know I can handle and only eat them but my stomach swelled up today and I have that burning sensation inside that I usually get from eating something that I'm intolerant to. It's frustrating when you think that you are doing things right and this happens. I real on a couple different websites that eating the same foods over and over again cause cause you to become intolerant to them. Is this true? And if so, I am screwed because there is only a couple different foods I can even handle so I can't mix it up

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

No, it is not true. Neither is it true that *not* eating a food for a while will make you intolerant.

I eat rice and corn pretty much every day. I tolerate them just fine.

I eat fresh strawberries in the spring, and then don't for about 9 months until the next spring. No problem.

Your tolerance or intolerance is wired into your body. Changes in your eating habits may vary the visibility, but do not cause the underlying issue.

foam Apprentice

In my opinion and experience it's absolutely true IF you have a leaky gut. Anything foreign to the immune system outside the lining of the gut WILL be attacked, that's any food protein and the more you eat of it, the more antibodies against it you will have, simple stuff. Antibodies go away with time, it's why many people on here are on a rotation diet.

The proteins that are hardest to breakdown into immune system acceptable amino acids like nuts and grains are always the worst offenders. Rice is usually the least problematic because it has almost no protein but then again it's hardly worth eating nutritionally so what's the point. In nature we only get food in seasonal patterns that's a big part of the modern problem imho. We aren't designed for a static diet.

I only had 3 years off gluten before I re tested it and found that it hard zero affect on me after 3 years with out. Not that I plan on eating it again but that's an example. I've also dropped my total IgE antibodies in half since I went grain free 4 months ago.

I lost potato recently because a swapped it for rice a while ago, now I've added in oats which for the moment is fine.

glutego Newbie

Dark Hi Cacao (Sugar Methadone) Chocolate is no longer tolerable for me :(  

Juliebove Rising Star

If you are prone to food intolerances, then eating something too often can cause a problem.  It won't always but it can.  I do eat a lot of rice, popcorn and some non gluten-free things but gluten isn't *my* issue.  These things have not caused a problem for me.  What has caused a problem is dairy.  I had eventually outgrown this intolerance but my Dr. warned me not to eat it.  However, I because jealous of my daughter who once couldn't eat dairy and now she could.  So I began eating a bite of cheese now and then.  Seemed to be no problem.  Progressed to the nachos at Target.  Then noticed that I couldn't finish my shopping without having to run to the bathroom.  I was very much living in denial!  Got retested and dairy is now out again.  So I would advise that if you do outgrow an intolorance and you choose to add it back into your diet, don't eat it too often.

It is also recommended to vary your diet.  I realize this isn't always possible.  I do eat a lot of beans.  Since I can't have chicken, lamb, fish, shellfish, dairy or eggs and I am not a big meat lover, nor do I digest it well...  Oh and I am intolorant to some nuts...  Beans are usually my main source of protein.  So far, so good.

But one of my Drs. said that it is best not to eat something more than three times a week and not on subsequent days.  Of course there are countless people who do not do this.  Italians tend to eat pasta daily.  And Asians eat a lot of rice.

codetalker Contributor

I’m wondering if it might be worthwhile considering this issue from a different perspective.

The reality nowadays is that almost everything we consume contains contaminants.  For instance, my tap water is considered safe to drink.  However, the quarterly water purity assessment on the water company’s website indicates that the water has detectable levels of scores of contaminants, albeit at or below a level considered to be safe.  Many types of fish are considered to be safe, although this is true only if you limit how many servings you eat per week.  At the same time, pregnant women are advised not to eat certain otherwise safe fish at all. 

In the news a while back, there was the story about diacetyl which is used as a microwave popcorn flavoring.  While supposedly safe for those who eat a normal amount of popcorn, a man who ate much more over an extended period of time apparently developed serious lung problems.  After that became headlines, it was also reported that workers in the popcorn manufacturing plant who were exposed daily to diacetyl apparently also had problems.

The point is that someone who is limited to a few foods is going to eat those foods more frequently and therefore will be exposed to a higher than normal amount of whatever contaminant is in that food.

Consider someone who can only eat rice.  That in and of itself does not raise any alarms.  However, it has been reported that rice grown in the U.S. has higher than normal levels of arsenic.  Although there are many varieties of rice which come from all over the world, chances are that someone unable to eat a wide variety of foods and eating mainly rice would buy and consume a single variety of rice.  If that rice contained contaminants, that person would be consuming those contaminants on a daily basis and may exceed the safe exposure limit.

As you mention in your post, it is hard, if not impossible, to mix up your selection of foods.  My recommendation would be to consume the least contaminated foods possible.  For instance, regardless of where you come down on the organic and the GMO debates, buy and consume only organic foods and stay away as much as possible from GMO’s, at least for the time being.  In the case of organic foods, this will limit your exposure to contaminants such as pesticides.

Also, try to source different varieties of the few things you can eat.  If all you can eat is rice, then buy different varieties.  Try to avoid eating a single variety of one type of food day after day.

stri8ed Rookie

In my opinion and experience it's absolutely true IF you have a leaky gut. Anything foreign to the immune system outside the lining of the gut WILL be attacked, that's any food protein and the more you eat of it, the more antibodies against it you will have, simple stuff. Antibodies go away with time, it's why many people on here are on a rotation diet.

The proteins that are hardest to breakdown into immune system acceptable amino acids like nuts and grains are always the worst offenders. Rice is usually the least problematic because it has almost no protein but then again it's hardly worth eating nutritionally so what's the point. In nature we only get food in seasonal patterns that's a big part of the modern problem imho. We aren't designed for a static diet.

I only had 3 years off gluten before I re tested it and found that it hard zero affect on me after 3 years with out. Not that I plan on eating it again but that's an example. I've also dropped my total IgE antibodies in half since I went grain free 4 months ago.

I lost potato recently because a swapped it for rice a while ago, now I've added in oats which for the moment is fine.

Well said. If you have a leaky gut you can become allergic to anything you eat frequently enough, especially protein dense food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived