36 replies to this topic

#31 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Man, I SO wish I'd seen this thread before my friend's wedding last year. And yes, it was in LA!! (Yep, that whole trip, we had a heck of a time finding gluten-free restaurants)

I was the wedding MC, and it was an all-day affair. I asked ahead of time and was assured there would be gluten-free food. Alas, only the drinks were safe. Not good! I actually was about to eat a flour tortilla that looked like corn and a very caring woman I'd been chatting with (she had other food sensitivities) stopped me before I put it in my mouth. Thank goodness.

If I'da read this thread, I would have definitely brought my own cooler. The one KIND bar in my purse didn't get me through.

I did at least dance the night away... and lesson learned!!!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 LadyK

LadyK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Great advice! I'm going to a wedding in June, too, so I could also benefit from this topic.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease December 2000, at age 10.

#33 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

SINCE I POSTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD ABOUT AN UPCOMING WEDDING, I THOUGHT I SHOULD UPDATE YOU ALL.

Had a fabulous time at my cousin's daughter's  wedding. Legs still work after dancing my face off for hours. whoohoo!

My cousin made sure we GeeFReers had apps (shrimp cocktail, crudities, cheese platter) but I just had a cocktail (i had Crunchmaster crackers in my handbag, too..

As the elderly G F lady I shared a  G F cookie with later (I brought them with me )

said to me,,,,this ain't the old days. They know what to do for "us" now.  (well, they do if you ask enough questions....)   ;) I avoided a collision with a tainted scallop (looked harmless enough)  by asking one more time....are you sure about these, sweets??  I waited patiently while she checked in the kitchen....poor kid nearly slapped it out of my hand. But you know old IH ain't puttin nuttin on her mouth without being extra super  duper sure.

So cool to see my fun cousins I had not seen in 5 years. As some of them dryly noted--they were glad to see

I was not dead.   :lol: ....sarcasm runs in the family, as you can tell...

Special soup for us Gee Freers in the group was a yummy roasted garlic, chickpea and veggies ("the others" had a not-so-great clam chowdah, they told me)

Dinner was salad, no croutons--( and I love you, cousin JoAnn for telling them not to bother with those useless things!)

A filet mignon done to perfection (no gravy for us, thank you again, catering company!!)

Roasted potatoes and summer squashes.

They all had cake and ice cream, but I brought the GFers giant homemade cookies. ("the others" wanted to know... hey.... Where did THOSE come from?? sorry, dude...just eat yer cake!) the planned  G F  cupcakes would not work out--too messy to transport. It all worked out fine!!

Got back to the hotel at 1:30 AM.

Life is good.   ;)

NO NEED TO FEAR WEDDINGS. CALL THE BRIDE, CALL THE CATERER. THEY KNOW HOW TO HANDLE gluten-free THESE DAYS.

No problems 2 days later...whoohoo!. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#34 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

I love postings that radiate gluten free confidence!  Irish is correct....this is 2013 and for the most part, caterers and food service people know how to handle gluten free requests. Yes, you have to ask questions to make sure they do everything right but get used to that and you'll do fine.  I routinely go away now and eat safely and come back just fine but I have been doing this for awhile so have healed well and know the diet.  If I can do this, anyone can!  :)

Glad you had such a good time, Irish!  :D

#35 LizMaude

LizMaude

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Reply that you are coming but I don't think you need to announce that you won't be eating.  Just eat before and bring a snack bar in your purse.  

#36 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

I agree to call the bride, caterer, etc,  but always go prepared and never go hungry. I told everyone and was assured a meal, but they forgot. as I said earlier in this thread,  my cousin who assured me forgot. so I scrambled to eat first and all was well.

#37 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I recently attended a wedding as someone's +1, not knowing anyone there. Instead of

trying to fuss with the caterers or anything, I just made turkey burger patties (because

they're delicious cold) and a salad in a bag, snuck out to my car at the right time, and

asked for a clean plate. Only the woman sitting next to me even noticed, noone else at

the table had a clue. Whipped the food out of the bags onto the plate in about 14 seconds

and acted like nothing was weird! I would personally recommend this tactic for 'stranger'

weddings.

This is usually my approach as well.  It is wonderful if they can accommodate me but in large events like that I just wouldn't feel comfortable.  I call it picking my battles.  It's just far easier and safer to pop out your own stuff and save the battle for something else.  I have a food issue and don't feel that others have to bend to my way. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wedding, gluten-free special occassion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: