This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pelvic Pain Girls?

glutenfree7562

glutenfree7562 Newbie

Ever since I started having problems with celiac a year ago, and since I was diagnosed 2 months ago I've had pelvic pain. Certain areas hurt to push on and I get a pain that radiates to my lower back and all down my legs. I'm only 17 and I was wondering if it could be related to my celiac or if anyone has had anything similar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I have the same thing.  It's part of what led me to the celiac diagnosis.  Our intestines and female parts and bladder are all jammed packed in there.  Feels like period cramps a lot sometimes but it's just the raw and inflamed guts.  

cavernio Enthusiast

I have all sorts of weird pains, most of the time nothing bad though. I did notice, however, that the worst of them, a constant pain on my left that seemed to go along my colon or possible fallopian tube, has gone away gluten free. That pain specifically would get aggravated with breathing...rather, when I breathed in the pain would go away, but come back with the outtake of breath. Clearly my diaphragm was pushing on something or the contraction of my diaphragm itself caused some sort of neural pain (I have neuropathy from my celiac disease). Luckily, it was one of the first things to get better for me. Still took at least a month to go away though.

That said, I subdivide my menstrual cramps into 2 types. The first one is more dull, and comes and goes in waves, and doesn't usually get bad. The second type is sharp and feels like it will get excrutiating, and I seem to feel it in the muscles surrounding my anus (not the colon, butt muscles) and well as really, really low down on my pelvis, and of course the usual area closer to my ovaries. This sounds like endometriosis to me, but it's infrequent (1-2 times a year max) and it's definitely period related, and is well-treated with an ibuprofen and won't come back 4 hours after the ibuprofen. Never had it looked at medically.

I have experienced some spotting since being gluten free, and my period seems to be moving back to a 28 day cycle from a 40~ish day cycle I had for many years.

glutenfree7562 Newbie

Yeah I had an ultrasound and it came back normal I guess, and my doctor said it has nothing to do with my celiac, and prescribed me pain killers for cramps. I just don't think it's cramps, because its not the same kind of pain I usually get while on my period. I've only been gluten free for 2 months though so maybe I just need to give it more time. I just haven't really improved at all.

• 2 weeks later...
anti-soprano Apprentice

Yeah I had an ultrasound and it came back normal I guess, and my doctor said it has nothing to do with my celiac, and prescribed me pain killers for cramps. I just don't think it's cramps, because its not the same kind of pain I usually get while on my period. I've only been gluten free for 2 months though so maybe I just need to give it more time. I just haven't really improved at all.

I have the same pain as cavernio described on my left side.  It coincides with any type of inflammation in my gut, especially C and it also flared up with a UTI.  If you suffer from C, consider probiotics, enzymes, whatever will get things moving and grooving.   I am also going for an ultrasound within the month, but I doubt they'll find anything.  It's fine when nothing else down there is aggravated.

BelleVie Enthusiast

Yes, I have had pelvic pain for years. I've been to the gyno dozens of times about it, have had ultrasounds and tests, and everything in there is normal. It only recently occurred to me that it could be due to gut inflammation.

I've also had really strong pain (like a muscle being pulled and pinched) in what I thought was my uterus/ovaries when I cough or sneeze for years as well, but again, it only recently occurred to me that it might be something else. 

Archived